BASS lifts 8' for rule

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Farnorth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: BASS lifts 8' for rule

Post by Farnorth » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:52 am

Hopefully we will see some big swimbait rods that have longer handles. Maybe not though as the tournament guys don't seem to give these much time.

Jdmbiggie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jdmbiggie » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:11 pm

flipping wit surf rod? hahaha im thinking this is just for the guys on the tours that swings big baits and show how swing the big swimbaits has evolve.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:52 pm

It would have to be 2 piece if I get one over 8 ft. Have a 8 foot flipping stick, it wouldn't the rod locker, go in the boat house or stand up in the house. Didn't see much advantage over 7'6".

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:45 pm

Finesse frog fishing is gonna be the next hot "new" craze.

Modified uncle bucks crappy reels with 20lbs of drag dangling frogs on lilly pads.....

I split my time between boat, beach, bank and river.

1 have 30 rods over 9'

I never once wanted a rod over 8' for bass boat fishing.

Fishing cross current at long range yeah...7'6 to 9' But even 9' (which i'm very comfortable with) gets a little unwieldy.)

10' rods that can handle a few ounces and are a legit fast action aren't feather weights.

I would love a 10' fast action quick shut off baitcasting stick at 9- 10' rated to .5 or.75 ounce though. BFS would be very easy

big_gee
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by big_gee » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:16 am

The 8 foot rod rule was created because of Dee Thomas. He was the master at dippin with a long rod.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:44 am

big_gee wrote:The 8 foot rod rule was created because of Dee Thomas. He was the master at dippin with a long rod.
Exactly, he was the master at it.
Makes me think about when dunking was banned (Lew Alcindor Rule) in basketball because of Kareem Abdul-Jabar's dominance, why punish someone for being good at something?
It's odd to think about why the rule was implemented in the first place. BASS, imo has a lot of traditions that could use some updates. Personally, I much prefer watching other bass tournaments like Major League Fishing.

Bass1980
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bass1980 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:55 am

Telescoping would be more practical than 2pc like X7WF, X7EM, Ultimas, and Adrenas. With telescoping you can still store your rod with reel on it in rod locker like normal. With 2pc it's too difficult to store with reel intact.

The 2 outings I used my Phase 3 Record Breaker with the telescoping blank I was able to fit that into my small rod locker.

zalan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by zalan » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:11 am

zodiak311 wrote:
big_gee wrote:The 8 foot rod rule was created because of Dee Thomas. He was the master at dippin with a long rod.
Exactly, he was the master at it.
Makes me think about when dunking was banned (Lew Alcindor Rule) in basketball because of Kareem Abdul-Jabar's dominance, why punish someone for being good at something?
It's odd to think about why the rule was implemented in the first place. BASS, imo has a lot of traditions that could use some updates. Personally, I much prefer watching other bass tournaments like Major League Fishing.
It was implemented when 2 anglers were competing in the same boat for the same prize. They thought that rods longer than 8' will give advantage to the angler who controls the boat. Today it is no longer true, so the rule makes no sense anymore.

toporanger
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by toporanger » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:37 am

I have several telescoping rods that when broke down are 7'6" but 9+ feet when extended. I would love to have some bass tapers though, mainly for throwing lighter baits but also the weight of the rod. When throwing 1lb lures the rods have to be heavy but when under 2 oz I would like something easier on the arms.

barrys
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by barrys » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:57 am

They probably went to 10' so the guys can use fly rods. I don't think your gonna see 10' BASS rods right away I think you'll see them creep up in length,first there will be an 8 1/2 ft flipping stick and cranker then it will creep up from there. But hey who knows