Dobyns Mike Long 784

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Dobyns Mike Long 784

Post by goldrod » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:54 am

Any pro's on this rod?
NOT the HP model but the previous one.. Interested in how bottom contact use was and the sensitivity of the rod.

stykbowslim
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Dobyns Mike Long 784

Post by stykbowslim » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:48 am

goldrod wrote:Any pro's on this rod?
NOT the HP model but the previous one.. Interested in how bottom contact use was and the sensitivity of the rod.
I believe sensitivity is somewhat subjective and is different for each individual. However in regards to bottom contact usage, for me, I have the HP model now and I had the DX model previously, and I really like the rod for casting football jigs, weighted creature baits, etc.

Dink Dawg
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Dink Dawg » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:47 pm

I have the pre HP 784ML. The rod serves triple duty. Football jigs, exposed hook lighter swimbaits and lighter texas rigs pitched. All are fished on fluorocarbon. Sensitivity is very very good. I think a lot of it has to do with the balance of the rod. For a 7'8'' rod, it's pretty neutral with a Lews Super Duty. This model loads great and casts really well. It locks up pretty quick on a hook set. I have fished it once with a light 1/2 Carolina rig for smallmouth, a technique I don't use often and it was great. I plan on hanging on to mine.

Jdmbiggie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jdmbiggie » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:12 pm

im glad to tell you that's one of my favorite rods. I do own the og version and not the hp. it can pretty much do anything as long as it loads on the rod. its super sensitive if you are looking for a bottom contact rod.