Shimano Rod Guides

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Fishtalk
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Shimano Rod Guides

Post by Fishtalk » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:24 am

I have been warned about the quality of guides on Shimano rods. Anyone have a problem? I bought a $100 + medium heavy wt. spinner about a year ago and the guides are shot. I never had this problem with "any" rod any price before. I also read about the same problem on St Croix rods but I never had an issue. I caught thousands of bass on my Mojo over quite a few years and I am tough on my equipment. I would wash it off good and that was it. My Shimano is still new. I've only used it about a dozen times and the guides are rusting and breaking off. I never had guides replaced on a blank before. Is it worth putting Fuji guides on it? What a disappointment!

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Shimano Rod Guides

Post by Fishing4Fun » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:14 am

Interesting first post...

Can you tell us what rod line it is from? Shimano Clarus or Compre perhaps?

You mention that your Shimano is still new yet you have used it a dozen times. ](*,) That my friend would make it used ;)

Are you using the rod in salt or brackish water? You mention that you rinse of the rod which would be unnecessary for freshwater fishing.

jtgibso1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jtgibso1 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:46 am

agree that's an interesting first post! some details would help though, like model, applications, where you use it, store it, etc.

Markanthony404
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Markanthony404 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:57 am

I own 10 Shimano rods, 8 crucial's and 2 cumara's. I have never experienced a factory defect with any of the guides and I mostly use braid and fireline. I did break one off but it was completely my fault. I have a hard time believing you have rust on your guides in such a short time, can you post some pics?

I believe Fugi guides are standard on all shimano freshwater rods, Fugi replacement guides can be purchased for cheap online.

Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bassmar » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:45 pm

Have owned lots of Shimano rods . Clarus, Compre, Crucial, Cumara, Scimitar etc etc. Cheap to expensive. Never had any issues with the guides except where self inflicted with the assistance of my foot, a rod locker or car door.
Oh....I see the OP has disappeared. [-X :lol:

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:41 am

Probably just a troll. Hasn't been on since he started this thread. Nothing to see here... Move along!

Markanthony404
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Markanthony404 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:21 am

Bassmar wrote: self inflicted with the assistance of my foot, a rod locker or car door.
Sounds like me after a 6 pack :lol: