New GLX rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
romans
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

New GLX rods

Post by romans » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:35 am

I got to handle a bunch of the new GLX rods today. They definitely felt better than the previous green glx rods. I had a curado 70 mounted on the 892C and it balanced right in front of the fore grip so they definitely addressed the balance issue. I was hoping that they would of had the 843 or 842 but no such luck. They did away with the painted blank, balanced the rod, looks promising folks. And the combination of the power,length, and taper of that 892 sure made for an interesting rod.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: New GLX rods

Post by bronzefly » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:44 am

As a long time GLX fan, I'm very, very happy with what I've seen and felt so far with the new 2016 GLX rods. There is no doubt in my mind that they're a significant improvement over the previous generation. I like the reel seat and they did an excellent job with the hook hanger! I'm looking forward to more time on the water with them over this coming fall, but these rods are going to impress Loomis fans, and will bring a lot of guys back to GLX. The Tackle Trap is getting a good stock of them now, as always, get in touch for the best deals!
IMG_2266.jpg
IMG_2266.jpg (87.24 KiB) Viewed 11085 times

igl00jx
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by igl00jx » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:06 am

I'm sure this is going to be asked, so figured I'd be that guy:
How do they compare, sensitivity wise, to the NRX line?
I'm sure they won't exceed given the price difference between the two, but would like to get an idea of any perceivable differences. Thanks

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:28 am

Gary mentioned the 892c glx to me and it got my attention. In the end, I went with the tried and proven 893c NRX simply because I could never see me even putting the 892 in the boat for its wintering in Florida. The 893 has some use in Florida. The 894 rules in Florida :mrgreen:

On how the new glx compares to the NRX, I have not a clue but I want to point something out to those visiting this site for say just the last 4 to 5 years.

When the NRX product came out in roughly 2010, we had good dialog on the sensitivity of the NRX to the GLX. No one opinion was universal. What was universal was that the NRX had a different action and a sexy split grip which Gloomis was being beaten up over not having. I got deeply into my golf game and family life from say 2011 to 2014 and when I returned to the board the GLX was a forgotten product. I don't know why- success of NRX branding, not enough price point difference, or actions that were not the same as old GLX :?: Likely answer is some of all of it.

I do hope this new line of GLX products has some cutting edge designs and old school sensitivity. Loomis fans need something new to talk about :big grin:

Rfdong
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Rfdong » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:31 am

How about the flipping sticks? Loomis has always been especially poor balance wise with the heavier action rods. If any have handled, what is the early scoop on those?

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:02 am

def intrigued

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hulkster » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:21 am

what style is the hook keeper? I must say I prefer the closed loop style like on the older loomis rods as opposed to the open style that is found on the current IMX and E6X style rods.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:46 am

Here are a few more photos guys. The new MBR series feel amazing. Guys who missed out on the original 842 before it was discontinued will be very happy with the new 2016 model. I'll continue fishing these rods a lot over the coming weeks and months, but my limited experience so far has been very positive. As one would expect, some models feel and balance better than others.
IMG_2272.jpg
Tackle Trap 2016 GLX Hook Hanger
IMG_2272.jpg (78.1 KiB) Viewed 10923 times
IMG_2269.jpg
Tackle Trap 2016 GLX MBR Casting Trio
IMG_2269.jpg (50.92 KiB) Viewed 10923 times
IMG_2271.jpg
Tackle Trap 2016 GLX Handles
IMG_2271.jpg (87 KiB) Viewed 10923 times

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hulkster » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:37 am

damn I see its the open style I personally don't like. oh well its not the end of the world. hooks just don't stay in that style as well. but it seems a lot of rods have these now so we are stuck with it.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:56 am

Hulkster wrote:damn I see its the open style I personally don't like. oh well its not the end of the world. hooks just don't stay in that style as well. but it seems a lot of rods have these now so we are stuck with it.
It's clearly a personal preference with regard to hook keepers. I really like the open style hook keeper, especially on jig/plastic/toad oriented rods. It's nice to be able to put the bend of the hook around the hanger without having to take the hook tip out of the plastic. The open style hasn't caused me any real problems though, even with treble baits. You're right, it's not the end of the world. Everyone can't be pleased with every aspect of any piece of tackle, I'm confident of that :lol:

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:57 am

does the cork stay uniform diameter or does it get bigger near the reel seat?

bigfruits
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigfruits » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:07 am

Im really interested in these new GLXs. I love the old MBR, BCR and BSR GLX rods.

I am curious to know how the action/power/tip of the new MBR rods compare to the old MBR GLX rods after you get a feel for them.

Thanks!
-Z

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:21 am

DavidSA wrote:does the cork stay uniform diameter or does it get bigger near the reel seat?
It gets bigger near the reel seat. They are very comfortable in my hands. I'll see if I can post a photo to help visualize soon.
bigfruits wrote:Im really interested in these new GLXs. I love the old MBR, BCR and BSR GLX rods.

I am curious to know how the action/power/tip of the new MBR rods compare to the old MBR GLX rods after you get a feel for them.

Thanks!
-Z
Me too Z. The BCR GLX rods are/were awesome indeed, and the MBR series classics too. I still have a nice group of classic MBR GLX including original 842, 843, and 844. I will be putting in a lot of time on the water over the coming months, fall into winter fishing is a great joy of mine, and these rods will be a big part of this years festivities. I'm looking forward to the spinning models, but am glad there will be a few months before they come out so I have some time to fish my preferred models in the casting series.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:33 am

I feel this GLX is a guinea pig for G.Loomis. I'm sure its a nice rod but I think they will use feedback from these GLXs and incorporate it into the NRX or whatever their nee flagship will be. Kinda like what Daiwa did with the T wing and SV.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:38 pm

ccass wrote:I feel this GLX is a guinea pig for G.Loomis. I'm sure its a nice rod but I think they will use feedback from these GLXs and incorporate it into the NRX or whatever their nee flagship will be. Kinda like what Daiwa did with the T wing and SV.
GLX is in large part what made "Loomis" famous among guys who take their fishing and their gear seriously. I don't see this series as being a guinea pig, rather a serious attempt at bringing back the level of performance we expect from GLX. Loomis, in my opinion, really needs this series to be "right" to win back a lot of GLX customers, myself included, who were generally less than enthusiastic about the previous generation. In my limited experience with this new series to date, I'm becoming more enthusiastic about them :D