New GLX rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
PBP
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: New GLX rods

Post by PBP » Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:24 am

it is time to do the same to NRX line )

Phippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Phippy » Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:48 am

FYI, with my Metanium HG this combo feels even lighter than with my NRX 843. Without any water time yet hopefully within the next few days I get the feeling it might have a hair more power compared to the 3 power NRXs.
Attachments
GLX5.jpg
GLX5.jpg (67.22 KiB) Viewed 5768 times
GLX6.jpg
GLX6.jpg (63.47 KiB) Viewed 5768 times

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:57 am

you had to use the 13met didn't you ](*,) makes it too easy for me to envision one of mine on a new GLX rod. Great looking rig.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:49 am

Phippy wrote:FYI, with my Metanium HG this combo feels even lighter than with my NRX 843. Without any water time yet hopefully within the next few days I get the feeling it might have a hair more power compared to the 3 power NRXs.
Dang that's pretty good. Really appreciate it

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:52 pm

So, I got an 853c on the way. Kicking myself in the pants because I forgot about an NRX 853c I could have got for the same price. I doubt the difference is that much.

I'm sure once the rod gets here on Thursday, I'll completely forget about the NRX.

jpmoney
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jpmoney » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:22 am

Anyone know an exact date when the new spinning models will be available?

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:42 am

jpmoney wrote:Anyone know an exact date when the new spinning models will be available?
There isn't an exact date yet. "Winter" is likely... maybe a Classic release, who knows, but I'm hoping for December/January. There is a model or two I'd like to use over the winter for some small mouth!

PINEKNOT
Angler
Angler

Post by PINEKNOT » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:12 am

Man, those are SWEET.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:10 am

Just got my 853c from the Tackle Trap. Super fast shipping. Orderd Tuesday, got here today (Thursday). Nice packaging as well. Testing it against my Archangel 7'2" as I type. Im in between rods right now. I'm using the same reel, line blah blah. My concern for a MH was to be able to throw 1/4oz total weight with accuracy, not having to force and all the other benefits from casting in the "sweet spot" range.

GLX has been good so far. About to rig up the Archangel and compare. I will briefly post my findings but please don't ask a bunch of comparison questions because I don't want to get the thread off track too much.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:46 am

ccass wrote:Just got my 853c from the Tackle Trap. Super fast shipping. Orderd Tuesday, got here today (Thursday). Nice packaging as well. Testing it against my Archangel 7'2" as I type. Im in between rods right now. I'm using the same reel, line blah blah. My concern for a MH was to be able to throw 1/4oz total weight with accuracy, not having to force and all the other benefits from casting in the "sweet spot" range.

GLX has been good so far. About to rig up the Archangel and compare. I will briefly post my findings but please don't ask a bunch of comparison questions because I don't want to get the thread off track too much.
Long story short, I can't tell a distinguishable difference between the 2 as far as casting even though the GLX low end is 3/16 and the Archangel low end is 3/8.

The GLX looks really nice. Balances better than the NRX. Just during backyard testing, I feel the Archangel is more sensitive. Not $250 more sensitive but, there is a difference. The new reel seat is comfortable. The grip is feels better than the previous generation. Doesn't have the hourglass shaped handle. There is a slight change to the diameter but not much. The blue accents look really nice. The rod is also built very clean.

PBP
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PBP » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:30 am

Did they change weight ratings for this series? Looks like they are lighter in power.
782 seems listed as 3/16-3/8 ( old series 1/4 -5/8), GLX 783 is 3/16-5/8 ( old 1/4 -3/4) ?
Last edited by PBP on Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:51 am

good catch

On the 782, I have the old model and it is totally out of gas at 5/8oz. I mean like you can feel the rod flexing a bit strange not just that it is not optimal. I don't recall if I ever tried a full 3/4oz on a 783. I gave mine to my Dad and replaced it with a 843 glx. The 843 can do 3/4oz but I feel that is the end of the line for the rod; not as out of gas as the 782 with 5/8th though. As I write this, I might see a trend. Seems in the older series they labeled the rods more liberal.

PBP
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PBP » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:41 am

just trying to figure out what I need for 1/4- 1/2 top water from this updated MBR ...
783 seem too heavy for 1/4, at lest old one was and not sure 782 will handle 1/2.

Jrob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jrob » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:48 pm

Has anyone fished the new 844c mbr ? I love my other 844 and the new GLX is on my hit list. Also, is there anything the 844 can't do? LOL. I was flipping 1/4 shakey head worms on mine yesterday ,and even threw on a squarebill in a pinch. ( I was pond fishing with one rod). Just a great rod!

jpmoney
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jpmoney » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:15 pm

ccass wrote:
ccass wrote:Just got my 853c from the Tackle Trap. Super fast shipping. Orderd Tuesday, got here today (Thursday). Nice packaging as well. Testing it against my Archangel 7'2" as I type. Im in between rods right now. I'm using the same reel, line blah blah. My concern for a MH was to be able to throw 1/4oz total weight with accuracy, not having to force and all the other benefits from casting in the "sweet spot" range.

Long story short, I can't tell a distinguishable difference between the 2 as far as casting even though the GLX low end is 3/16 and the Archangel low end is 3/8.

The GLX looks really nice. Balances better than the NRX. Just during backyard testing, I feel the Archangel is more sensitive. Not $250 more sensitive but, there is a difference. The new reel seat is comfortable. The grip is feels better than the previous generation. Doesn't have the hourglass shaped handle. There is a slight change to the diameter but not much. The blue accents look really nice. The rod is also built very clean.
Do you know how this rod compares to the NRX 853C in terms of taper and backbone? How about against the NRX 893C?

I have been thinking of picking up one of the new GLX 853C's but your description of it being lighter than expected has me wondering if Loomis altered the powers and tapers at all.