St Croix LEC68MF Guide measurements

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
DaisyZillion
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

St Croix LEC68MF Guide measurements

Post by DaisyZillion » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:31 pm

G'day Team, I'm very keen on purchasing this rod and would like know what the ID of the smallest guide is? The micro guide revolution that you so dearly love :D is making my high end rod buying a nightmare :( I fish saltwater Barramundi and have to use long leaders up to 100lb and even with the FG I can't get it through the guides, I bought a megabass Orochi xx Spinnerbait special a few years ago and ran into this trouble! it is now sporting a new set of spiral wrapped alconites, it's a very nice rod but I'd like to avoid having to do this again. If you can help out or know of another rod that will fit the bill would be great, I have a NRX JWR is good so no problems with recoils, Cheers.

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: St Croix LEC68MF Guide measurements

Post by MardukFIN » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:44 am

My quess is #5. ;) Never seen rod.

DaisyZillion
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DaisyZillion » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:47 am

Thanks for the response mate O:) if they are 5s being 5mm ID that would be great! [-o<

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timinmo » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:41 am

I can measure some, but it will not be until Tuesday if that is any help.

DaisyZillion
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DaisyZillion » Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:54 pm

That would be fantastic mate, not many high end rods around with the traditional cork foregrip arrangement and would love it to suit my needs. Cheers

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timinmo » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:07 am

As you know the size of a guide is the measurement in millimeters of the outside of the ring. So a 5 guide is not 5mm inside measurement. The last four guides on the LEC68mf are 4.5s then it goes to 5s for another three or four. In any case these measurements are straight from St. Croix. I do not know what the inside measurements are but a torzite guide "should" have a larger inside measurement than one with a different ring material. If I understand the advantages of torzite, they are able to use a thinner ring than other material, I think. The sizes came from St. Croix, I was not confident enough of my measurements with the equipment I had. If you have questions call St. Croix, they were most helpful.

DaisyZillion
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DaisyZillion » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:16 pm

Wow thanks for the info mate, I actually didn't realise that they measured the outside when sizing guides :shock: I do now :D , turns out they are way too small for my needs, I guess I'll keep searching or get one custom made with recoils and sics, thanks again Timinmo.

vinnieb729
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by vinnieb729 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:09 pm

You could look for the Legend Elite rod that is being replaced. The former Elite (with the Fuji ACS reel seat) had the traditional style and size Fuji L guides. Those would be large enough to pass any knots through.

DaisyZillion
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DaisyZillion » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:40 pm

Roger that, I'll have a look around, cheers mate.

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:54 pm

timinmo wrote:As you know the size of a guide is the measurement in millimeters of the outside of the ring. So a 5 guide is not 5mm inside measurement. The last four guides on the LEC68mf are 4.5s then it goes to 5s for another three or four. In any case these measurements are straight from St. Croix. I do not know what the inside measurements are but a torzite guide "should" have a larger inside measurement than one with a different ring material. If I understand the advantages of torzite, they are able to use a thinner ring than other material, I think. The sizes came from St. Croix, I was not confident enough of my measurements with the equipment I had. If you have questions call St. Croix, they were most helpful.
4,5# = ~2,5mm ID, 5#=~3mm ID. Yes, Torzite is thinner, than SiC.

DaisyZillion
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DaisyZillion » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:12 pm

Awesome! That inner diameter might just actually work with a fg knot. Cheers man!