Looking for a Ultra light casting rod.

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Patex
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Looking for a Ultra light casting rod.

Post by Patex » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:32 am

Bootytrain wrote:
kinniyoubi wrote:
LowRange wrote:
I don't think the Majorcraft BFS rods would be able to do 2 gram hardbaits well let alone 1 gram. I would think their tapers are too fast to load up properly but maybe I'm wrong. My Volkey 68L certainly isn't up to the task and I would think that 2-4 gram plugs are better suited to a trout rod such as a Majorcraft Finetail. For my small plugs I use a Kuying Teton 66L trout rod rated at 2-10 grams and it casts baits around 3 grams very well due to its moderate, nearly parabolic taper and soft tip but it's a cheap $56 rod. Perhaps someone can recommend a 6' to 6'6' $200 trout casting rod?'
I see thank you, no wonder I've seen some recommendations on ultra light casting rods that are trout rods. Isit because they are softer? My ideal weight to throw would be 2-4g, 1g seems like a stretch and I dont think I will actually use any in that range, I should not have written that.
The thing about trout rods for baitcasters is that they are generally under 6 ft. I have a few bfs rods, the first is the Volkey 6'9 UL, it has a moderate taper and its rated 1/32 oz to 1/4. 1/16 is the lowest usable for sure. Not sure if they make it anymore. Just keep in mind, the lower you go in lure weight, the higher you need to turn up the brakes and more than likely use a slower deliberate casting stroke.
2nd that have the Volkey 6'9 XUL casts Megabass X-30 quite well

kinniyoubi
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by kinniyoubi » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:15 am

LowRange wrote:
It sonds like you're on a quest for the one but don't know where to start. BFS rod trout rod? I would recommend a starting point, such as an affordable trout rod that works well at casting 2-4 grams yet has enough power to be sort of a BFS/trout rod hybrid. Owing such a rod would allow you to see the pros and cons of a trout and will allow you to formulate an opinion on tapers and power as well as help develop an understanding of what you want in a very small plug rod.

I'd recommend the Kuying Teton 662L rated at 2-10 grams as a starting point. Kuying has an UL Teton 6 foot rod rated at 1-4 grams but I'd start at the Teton L and work you way down to the Teton UL.

Kuying Teon video review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGy1yfn2vvI

Where to buy: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-98-met ... 7f29a0a4be

Jackson make/made a 6 foot solid carbon shaft dedicated small plug rod, the Super Trickster STC 60L-AS The Bait Finesse Plugging. The rod is probably you're one but is a budget buster at... some price above $200.
Thanks for the reply! Will check that out, I actually own a kuying ajing rod! I wouldn't say that im finding for "the one". As I currently do not even know the type of rod that I prefer (soft, fast etc...). I'm simply looking for a rod that can cast 2-4g a fair distance, as the Majorcraft rods (MS-X, Finetail, Speedstyle. Tho I do not mind checking out other brands!) I mentioned is not particularly cheap, I do not want to throw $200 at a rod and not being able to do what I intended.
Patex wrote: 2nd that have the Volley 6'9 XUL casts Megabass X-30 quite well
Wow that lure is only 1.2-1.5g, thats nice. Now that you said this, I might be looking more towards the speedstyle (Since the Volkey isnt made anymore). Tho, I am looking more towards the 1/32-1/4 6'4" model. not sure how that 5" will affect casting distance.
Last edited by kinniyoubi on Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:17 am

Bootytrain wrote:
kinniyoubi wrote:
Bootytrain wrote: The thing about trout rods for baitcasters is that they are generally under 6 ft. I have a few bfs rods, the first is the Volkey 6'9 UL, it has a moderate taper and its rated 1/32 oz to 1/4. 1/16 is the lowest usable for sure. Not sure if they make it anymore. Just keep in mind, the lower you go in lure weight, the higher you need to turn up the brakes and more than likely use a slower deliberate casting stroke.
Wow 1/16 oz is pretty light. When you say usable, what kind of distance are we talking about? How do you find the Volkey?

Do you think a 6'4" would be too short to cast 2-4gs? I am really looking into the Speedstyle and MS-X currently but would love more suggestions on rods that would be on par or better for casting lighter crankbaits at the same pricerange.
40 ft if Im lucky(casting a strike king bitsy minnow) I think 6'4 would be ok, I just bought a Major craft Finetail trout rod that is 5'4 and rated down to 1 gram(going to fish it this weekend) I wouldnt advise fishing it around cover because these rods will not be able to pull a fish out from under a dock or out of a tree.
I'm telling you, the Phenix Mirage is what you are looking for. You'd swear I'm sponsored by them but I'm not. It the only Phenix rod I have.

kinniyoubi
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by kinniyoubi » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:38 am

ccass wrote: I'm telling you, the Phenix Mirage is what you are looking for. You'd swear I'm sponsored by them but I'm not. It the only Phenix rod I have.
They dont seem to make one for casting but will definitely be on my blank choice when I am making a custom.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:29 am

kinniyoubi wrote:
LowRange wrote:
It sonds like you're on a quest for the one but don't know where to start. BFS rod trout rod? I would recommend a starting point, such as an affordable trout rod that works well at casting 2-4 grams yet has enough power to be sort of a BFS/trout rod hybrid. Owing such a rod would allow you to see the pros and cons of a trout and will allow you to formulate an opinion on tapers and power as well as help develop an understanding of what you want in a very small plug rod.

I'd recommend the Kuying Teton 662L rated at 2-10 grams as a starting point. Kuying has an UL Teton 6 foot rod rated at 1-4 grams but I'd start at the Teton L and work you way down to the Teton UL.

Kuying Teon video review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGy1yfn2vvI

Where to buy: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-98-met ... 7f29a0a4be

Jackson make/made a 6 foot solid carbon shaft dedicated small plug rod, the Super Trickster STC 60L-AS The Bait Finesse Plugging. The rod is probably you're one but is a budget buster at... some price above $200.
Thanks for the reply! Will check that out, I actually own a kuying ajing rod! I wouldn't say that im finding for "the one". As I currently do not even know the type of rod that I prefer (soft, fast etc...). I'm simply looking for a rod that can cast 2-4g a fair distance, as the Majorcraft rods (MS-X, Finetail, Speedstyle. Tho I do not mind checking out other brands!) I mentioned is not particularly cheap, I do not want to throw $200 at a rod and not being able to do what I intended.
Patex wrote: 2nd that have the Volley 6'9 XUL casts Megabass X-30 quite well
Wow that lure is only 1.2-1.5g, thats nice. Now that you said this, I might be looking more towards the speedstyle (Since the Volkey isnt made anymore). Tho, I am looking more towards the 1/32-1/4 6'4" model. not sure how that 5" will affect casting distance.
My experience with Majorcraft rods is that their rated low limit is absurd at best. My 68L is rated at 1/32 - 1/4 and I find 1/8 to be the usable low limit. It's not even that good at 1/8 ounce hard baits to be honest. I prefer to use the Volkey 68L for 1/8 jig heads + plastic trailer for it's fast taper and powerful backbone and the Kuying Teton 662L for 1/10-3/16 ounce hard baits for it's soft tip and moderate taper.

kinniyoubi
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by kinniyoubi » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:20 pm

LowRange wrote: My experience with Majorcraft rods is that their rated low limit is absurd at best. My 68L is rated at 1/32 - 1/4 and I find 1/8 to be the usable low limit. It's not even that good at 1/8 ounce hard baits to be honest. I prefer to use the Volkey 68L for 1/8 jig heads + plastic trailer for it's fast taper and powerful backbone and the Kuying Teton 662L for 1/10-3/16 ounce hard baits for it's soft tip and moderate taper.
I see, the Kuying is now very tempting as it is really cheap. I did meet the guy that did the review on the kuying rod last weekend, the coincidence! haha.

The rods that I'm getting for the ultra light casting is hopefully going to give me an idea on what I like when it comes to BFS, as I intend to make a custom after testings. Since the Kuying is softer and is moderate, i might get it along with a MajorCraft speedstyle as they seem very different. one soft moderate and the other faster.