Looking for a Ultra light casting rod.

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
kinniyoubi
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Looking for a Ultra light casting rod.

Post by kinniyoubi » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:10 am

Hi all,

I am looking for a casting rod that can cast 2-4g crankbaits with ease. Being able to go down to 1g would be nice but I dont expect much distance casting 1g lures. It will be paired up with a XT 1000. I dont have any particular requirements for the rod expect for it needing to be around 6'.

I've heard a lot of good things on the MajorCraft Speedstyle/Volkey lineup, and it's constantly being recommended for BFS. Are there any other rods I should be looking at? The MS-X BFS is tempting but I am unsure if it's worth that amount of money.

My budget for the rod is around $200

Thank you! All advice is greatly appreciated.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Looking for a Ultra light casting rod.

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:23 am

Decided against building your own? :)

Unless you plan to build several rods, investing in all the tools and supplies isn't really worth it.

The MS-X line are pretty awesome from what I've read. They definitely have the look.

DaveJ

kinniyoubi
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by kinniyoubi » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:10 am

IlliniDawg01 wrote:Decided against building your own? :)

Unless you plan to build several rods, investing in all the tools and supplies isn't really worth it.

The MS-X line are pretty awesome from what I've read. They definitely have the look.

DaveJ
Definitely still building my own! As I stay away from the states, shipping might take a long time (and so will building as I have work). My shallow spool comes this week and I just cant wait to start casting light lures!

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:37 pm

kinniyoubi wrote:Hi all,

I am looking for a casting rod that can cast 2-4g crankbaits with ease. Being able to go down to 1g would be nice but I dont expect much distance casting 1g lures. It will be paired up with a XT 1000. I dont have any particular requirements for the rod expect for it needing to be around 6'.

I've heard a lot of good things on the MajorCraft Speedstyle/Volkey lineup, and it's constantly being recommended for BFS. Are there any other rods I should be looking at? The MS-X BFS is tempting but I am unsure if it's worth that amount of money.

My budget for the rod is around $200

Thank you! All advice is greatly appreciated.
I don't think the Majorcraft BFS rods would be able to do 2 gram hardbaits well let alone 1 gram. I would think their tapers are too fast to load up properly but maybe I'm wrong. My Volkey 68L certainly isn't up to the task and I would think that 2-4 gram plugs are better suited to a trout rod such as a Majorcraft Finetail. For my small plugs I use a Kuying Teton 66L trout rod rated at 2-10 grams and it casts baits around 3 grams very well due to its moderate, nearly parabolic taper and soft tip but it's a cheap $56 rod. Perhaps someone can recommend a 6' to 6'6' $200 trout casting rod?'

kinniyoubi
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by kinniyoubi » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:46 pm

LowRange wrote:
I don't think the Majorcraft BFS rods would be able to do 2 gram hardbaits well let alone 1 gram. I would think their tapers are too fast to load up properly but maybe I'm wrong. My Volkey 68L certainly isn't up to the task and I would think that 2-4 gram plugs are better suited to a trout rod such as a Majorcraft Finetail. For my small plugs I use a Kuying Teton 66L trout rod rated at 2-10 grams and it casts baits around 3 grams very well due to its moderate, nearly parabolic taper and soft tip but it's a cheap $56 rod. Perhaps someone can recommend a 6' to 6'6' $200 trout casting rod?'
I see thank you, no wonder I've seen some recommendations on ultra light casting rods that are trout rods. Isit because they are softer? My ideal weight to throw would be 2-4g, 1g seems like a stretch and I dont think I will actually use any in that range, I should not have written that.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:58 pm

double post
Last edited by Bootytrain on Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:58 pm

kinniyoubi wrote:
LowRange wrote:
I see thank you, no wonder I've seen some recommendations on ultra light casting rods that are trout rods. Isit because they are softer? My ideal weight to throw would be 2-4g, 1g seems like a stretch and I dont think I will actually use any in that range, I should not have written that.
The thing about trout rods for baitcasters is that they are generally under 6 ft. I have a few bfs rods, the first is the Volkey 6'9 UL, it has a moderate taper and its rated 1/32 oz to 1/4. 1/16 is the lowest usable for sure. Not sure if they make it anymore. Just keep in mind, the lower you go in lure weight, the higher you need to turn up the brakes and more than likely use a slower deliberate casting stroke.

kinniyoubi
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by kinniyoubi » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:26 pm

Bootytrain wrote: The thing about trout rods for baitcasters is that they are generally under 6 ft. I have a few bfs rods, the first is the Volkey 6'9 UL, it has a moderate taper and its rated 1/32 oz to 1/4. 1/16 is the lowest usable for sure. Not sure if they make it anymore. Just keep in mind, the lower you go in lure weight, the higher you need to turn up the brakes and more than likely use a slower deliberate casting stroke.
Wow 1/16 oz is pretty light. When you say usable, what kind of distance are we talking about? How do you find the Volkey?

Do you think a 6'4" would be too short to cast 2-4gs? I am really looking into the Speedstyle and MS-X currently but would love more suggestions on rods that would be on par or better for casting lighter crankbaits at the same pricerange.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:54 pm

kinniyoubi wrote:
Bootytrain wrote: The thing about trout rods for baitcasters is that they are generally under 6 ft. I have a few bfs rods, the first is the Volkey 6'9 UL, it has a moderate taper and its rated 1/32 oz to 1/4. 1/16 is the lowest usable for sure. Not sure if they make it anymore. Just keep in mind, the lower you go in lure weight, the higher you need to turn up the brakes and more than likely use a slower deliberate casting stroke.
Wow 1/16 oz is pretty light. When you say usable, what kind of distance are we talking about? How do you find the Volkey?

Do you think a 6'4" would be too short to cast 2-4gs? I am really looking into the Speedstyle and MS-X currently but would love more suggestions on rods that would be on par or better for casting lighter crankbaits at the same pricerange.
40 ft if Im lucky(casting a strike king bitsy minnow) I think 6'4 would be ok, I just bought a Major craft Finetail trout rod that is 5'4 and rated down to 1 gram(going to fish it this weekend) I wouldnt advise fishing it around cover because these rods will not be able to pull a fish out from under a dock or out of a tree.

kinniyoubi
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by kinniyoubi » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:04 pm

Bootytrain wrote:
kinniyoubi wrote:

40 ft if Im lucky(casting a strike king bitsy minnow) I think 6'4 would be ok, I just bought a Major craft Finetail trout rod that is 5'4 and rated down to 1 gram(going to fish it this weekend) I wouldnt advise fishing it around cover because these rods will not be able to pull a fish out from under a dock or out of a tree.
Thanks for the advice! Will you be using a baitcaster with the finetail? I would love to know some comparison between the Volkey and Finetail in casting light lures.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:31 pm

kinniyoubi wrote:
Bootytrain wrote:
kinniyoubi wrote:

Thanks for the advice! Will you be using a baitcaster with the finetail? I would love to know some comparison between the Volkey and Finetail in casting light lures.
I have a thread in the Ultralight section, go check it out

kinniyoubi
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by kinniyoubi » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:16 pm

Bootytrain wrote: I have a thread in the Ultralight section, go check it out
Awesome! will do.

kinniyoubi
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by kinniyoubi » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:16 pm

I was wondering, so how should I go about choosing a rod for 2-4g? Should I get a softer trout rod that usually isnt above 6' or a longer bass rod that might be too fast for a lighter weight?

Thank you!

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:06 am

kinniyoubi wrote:I was wondering, so how should I go about choosing a rod for 2-4g? Should I get a softer trout rod that usually isnt above 6' or a longer bass rod that might be too fast for a lighter weight?

Thank you!
It sonds like you're on a quest for the one but don't know where to start. BFS rod trout rod? I would recommend a starting point, such as an affordable trout rod that works well at casting 2-4 grams yet has enough power to be sort of a BFS/trout rod hybrid. Owing such a rod would allow you to see the pros and cons of a trout and will allow you to formulate an opinion on tapers and power as well as help develop an understanding of what you want in a very small plug rod.

I'd recommend the Kuying Teton 662L rated at 2-10 grams as a starting point. Kuying has an UL Teton 6 foot rod rated at 1-4 grams but I'd start at the Teton L and work you way down to the Teton UL.

Kuying Teon video review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGy1yfn2vvI

Where to buy: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-98-met ... 7f29a0a4be

Jackson make/made a 6 foot solid carbon shaft dedicated small plug rod, the Super Trickster STC 60L-AS The Bait Finesse Plugging. The rod is probably you're one but is a budget buster at... some price above $200.

Patex
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Patex » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:32 am

Bootytrain wrote:
kinniyoubi wrote:
LowRange wrote:
The thing about trout rods for baitcasters is that they are generally under 6 ft. I have a few bfs rods, the first is the Volkey 6'9 UL, it has a moderate taper and its rated 1/32 oz to 1/4. 1/16 is the lowest usable for sure. Not sure if they make it anymore. Just keep in mind, the lower you go in lure weight, the higher you need to turn up the brakes and more than likely use a slower deliberate casting stroke.
2nd that have the Volley 6'9 XUL casts Megabass X-30 quite well