Dobyns Champion 735CB Glass

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Dobyns Champion 735CB Glass

Post by civicrr » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:41 am

Hey guys, in case anybody else is interested, I just saw that TW is now selling the Dobyns 735CB Glass.

I only have a little time with 736CB Glass but I've been pretty impressed with it. Gary Dobyns has posted on various forums that it took him some time (longer than he wanted I'm guessing) to get this how he wanted. i.e. get the action right. Seems like he has got it right to me. Tip is nice & soft with power coming in pretty quickly. That tip makes it easy to cast the chatterbaits, etc. as it loads real nice. The power ramps up much more quickly than the other 'cranking' rods. Makes sense to me - tip is soft to let fish eat & load up when the bait hits cover leading to it 'springing' off the cover. The power ramping up more quickly makes it get those big single hooks buried in the fishes mouth. Loads up nicely with the fish. Truth be told, I haven't been catching a lot of chatterbait fish....... They seem to be much easier to catch using other techniques. (BTW, I did throw a 3/8oz swimjig with a kicker fish trailer. Felt like a good combo. Again, not the hot technique the last few days for me.)

For grins I tied on a med depth crank (1/2oz) on the 736CB. Much easier to crank vs my regular stick (705CB graphite). Less wrist strain. I do need to say that the rod does feel 'heavier' and less agile vs the 705CB. Yes, I know, it isn't a apple to apple comparison. There is a difference not only in rod length & material but power too. I did wonder if I'd be getting good hookups with cranks for fish that slashed at the bait given the faster action. No worries as that tip is like butter. I had no problems hooking up, playing & landing the fish - cranking seems to be the deal for me lately on my water. It easily handled the bigger fish as it is a more 'powerful' rod vs the 705CB. Not saying that I have problems with the 705CB. It is more like I can man-handle the bigger fish with the 736CB Glass. Tip is soft & absorbed the surges, etc. I didn't have any fish coming off boat side, etc. Tied on a 3/8oz squarebill. Just felt like the 736CB Glass was too much rod for the bait. It actually cast it fine. It just didn't feel like it loaded great when casting so I sort of missed that feedback.

Been looking for the 735CB Glass that Gary has mentioned in a few posts. I really wanted to try it for squarebills & mid depth cranks. Also wanted to try it for chatterbaits & swmjigs. Read somewhere that the 736CB & 735CB are very similar with just a slight power difference. I also read that Rich Dobyns really prefers the 735CB for chatterbaits....

Anyway, I'll be ordering one up. Not sure who else has them now but like I said, TW does. Hopefully get out on the water with it next week.

edited for clarity. was sort of rambling there for a while
Last edited by civicrr on Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dink Dawg
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Dobyns Champion 735CB Glass

Post by Dink Dawg » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:46 am

Don't keeps us wondering too long. I also grabbed the 736CB and chatterbaits have not been effective but a 1/2 ounce spinnerbait has and the 736CB has been a blast to fish with. I heard the 735CB was something like a 3/4 power under the 736CB????? I'd love to hear your opinion if and when you pull the trigger on one. For now, the 736CB has been a kick.