What's the number one selling rod?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

What's the number one selling rod?

Post by goldrod » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:11 am

Is there any way to find out what are manufacturers number selling rod

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: What's the number one selling rod?

Post by DavidSA » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:58 am

likely no and further internet based sales have had dramatic impact on fishing industry and historical ways of measuring traditional retail sales do not work so well in fragmented online sales

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:43 am

Not 100% sure I understand what you are asking?

Do you want to know what company sells the most rods with their name on it? (IE Loomis, Dobyns, etc)
Do you want to know what rod line that a specific company sells the most of? (IE Dobyns Champion)
Do you want to know what rod model within a specific rod line that the manufacturer sells the most of? (IE Loomis NRX 893c)

I have no clue where you would find the annual sales numbers for all companies. My suggestion would be you call the rod companies that you are interested in ask them for their annual rod sales data if they will provide it.

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hulkster » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:45 am

I have always heard that the Shakespeare Ugly Stik is the best selling rod in the world. don't know if that's true.

For a company like G. Loomis, I bet the new E6Xs are selling like hot cakes. the GL2s are not even on their website anymore, likely due to the fact that the E6X is selling so well?? I have an E6X MBR843c and love it.

Dark3
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dark3 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:06 am

Most likely shakespere being pumped out of wally worlds 8 days a week. Amoung the frugal anglers that have an unrecognized enthusiest deep down inside, a step up from the ugly sticks is the veritas rods. Ive known tons of guys that buy the crap out of those.

Dustys60
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Dustys60 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:28 am

I watched the bps carbon lite rods go out the door by the dozens during their spring sale. That was just one store. They have to sell a ton of them. Doubt the most but alot.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:59 am

http://www.wideopenspaces.com/top-five- ... ng-brands/

In the United States during 2012, no business sold more fishing rods than the Shakespeare Company, a South Carolina-based subsidiary of the New York consumer products company Jarden. There’s a reason: the Shakespeare Company makes superior fishing tackle and American buyers have been repeatedly satisfied by their products

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:54 pm

QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:http://www.wideopenspaces.com/top-five- ... ng-brands/

In the United States during 2012, no business sold more fishing rods than the Shakespeare Company, a South Carolina-based subsidiary of the New York consumer products company Jarden. There’s a reason: the Shakespeare Company makes superior fishing tackle and American buyers have been repeatedly satisfied by their products
I would say that the Lightning rod by Berkley or the Uglystick by Shakespear would be in the top 3 even in 2016. Your average fisherman is likely to frequent the isles of Walmart and other sporting goods stores seeking something cheap and "tough".

That is why I am really wanting to know what the OP means by his vague question? Seeing as how this is TackleTour I am sure he is wanting the data for rods of a certain price point (say $100 on up). It would be great to see a chart showing sales by "quality" rod manufactures.

Me personally, I would love to see how many Phenix K2 rods were sold in 2015, how many UMBX rods were sold, how many Recons, how many M1's, etc. And then it would be nice to see how many of each model within the series were sold. It would give you an idea on just how many people own each line of rod and you would be able to see what models were the most and least popular. I am willing to be the manufacturer has these numbers. Otherwise how would they know what rods they need to ramp up production of and which models they may consider discontinuing.

It is fascinating stuff if you are numbers guy...

jtgibso1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jtgibso1 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:35 am

QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:http://www.wideopenspaces.com/top-five- ... ng-brands/

if you factor in all the brands owned by Jarden (now a part of Newell Brands) they'll easily be on top. They own Shakespeare, but also own all the other brands under Pure Fishing (Abu, Berkley, Fenwick, All Star, Penn, Pflueger).

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:12 am

Fishing4Fun wrote:Not 100% sure I understand what you are asking?

Do you want to know what company sells the most rods with their name on it? (IE Loomis, Dobyns, etc)
Do you want to know what rod line that a specific company sells the most of? (IE Dobyns Champion)
Do you want to know what rod model within a specific rod line that the manufacturer sells the most of? (IE Loomis NRX 893c)

I have no clue where you would find the annual sales numbers for all companies. My suggestion would be you call the rod companies that you are interested in ask them for their annual rod sales data if they will provide it.

I wanted to know what rod model that a company sells the most of? (ie dobyns sells more DX799 than any other model, loomis etc.)
It trivial i know, just a thought. I imagine that companies have some sort of breakdown and data tracking personnel. i just think it would be interesting to know

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:02 pm

Call the manufacturer of said rod if you want to know the sales numbers for. I don't know of any online resources that would provide such data. Unless it is a curiosity thing, keep in mind that what works best for one person may not for you. For example if the NRX 894 is the most popular NRX but I have no need or desire to fish jigs over 3/8 oz, getting this rod simply would not be worth it or smart.

I would call the rod manufacturer either way. I have found the folks at these companies more than willing to share some time over the phone or email to help talk about their rod lines, models within their rod lines, and then ultimately help you pick a rod that is best for your needs. Sure they may be biased but IMO it doesn't matter at that point as you are just trying to pick the model that will work best for you.

zalan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by zalan » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:57 pm

goldrod wrote:

I wanted to know what rod model that a company sells the most of? (ie dobyns sells more DX799 than any other model, loomis etc.)
It trivial i know, just a thought. I imagine that companies have some sort of breakdown and data tracking personnel. i just think it would be interesting to know
Price plays a huge role in sales, the cheaper rods usually outsell the expensive ones by a huge margin.

Also I think most companies do not disclosure detailed sales numbers, usually these are considered confidential.

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:42 pm

goldrod wrote:

Search for the rod on the tackle warehouse site,check the stock item quantities
The greatest sellers are usually marked awaiting stock 8-)

Dink Dawg
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Dink Dawg » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:44 pm

Try the manufactures contact us email address and ask. Are you writing a thesis for your masters? Seriously, I friend of mine was a rod designer for Lamiglas. He is with a different firm now. When I toured the factory I asked him what model in a specific entry level bass line/series, being run that day was the best seller? It was a 6-6 medium, medium fast in both spinning and casting. The 7-0 medium fast in casting was the next on the list. I bet that holds fairly true for most manufactures.

DChiWildcats
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DChiWildcats » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:59 am

When I worked at Bass Pro Shops, 99% of the people that came in said, "I want to catch a fish in the pond down the street and need a rod and reel. I have $100 to spend total." I said here's a Shimano Spirex, here's a Shakespeare Ugly Stik. That will be $100 please. I wish they paid me in commission, honestly think I sold close to 50 in the few months I was there, haha. You're welcome Shakespeare.