2 piece casting rod for bank fishing

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: 2 piece casting rod for bank fishing

Post by Dalleinf » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:04 am

Hulkster wrote:I second the idea of a one piece rod.

despite what people say, 1 piece rods are still smoother casting, lighter, stronger and more sensitive vs 2 piece rods even with today's better ferrules. they are much better all around.

you can easily fit a 6.5 to 7 foot rod into a small car. I used to do it in my little Volkswagen golf all the time.

put it through the seats so that the reel end is where the passenger puts their feet in front. then put the rod through the seats so the tip is at the back roof.

its easy.

that being said, the two piece GLX suggested above would be amazing.

good luck with whatever you choose.
How do you qualify your thoughts on 2- vs. 1-piece rods?
I get that weight is easy to measure (and cannot believe that the difference is "very" big), but "smoother casting" and "more sensitive"? How do you reliably measure that? Sensitivity is the most over-used term when discussing fishing rods IMO.
Stronger? How - do they break more or do they not have the strength to fight the fish? My friends and I have fished 2-piece rods for 30 years and have not had any problems with rods breaking. You fish for LM bass? People fish for 20-40lb atlantic salmon in very fast-flowing water with 2-4 piece rods (both spinning and fly, e.g. 4-piece G. Loomis NRX fly rods) and practically never 1-piece rods. They also target other much larger species with multi-piece rods (e.g. halibut). Do these multi-piece rods break all the time or lack the strength?
IMO the biggest and most relevant difference between 1- and multi-piece rods is just that - the number of pieces. If anyone has any solid data on material differences between 1- and 2-piece rods then I would love to be enlightened.

To the original poster: Have you looked at 2-piece rods on the EU market (no extra tax/toll)?
You should be able to find many fast action rods for 7-28gr lures. I believe Berkley and Dragon make some nice models - and suggest you check out Fishing-mart.pl or other EU-shop.
Tackle4all in Cyprus sell Major Craft rods at prices comparable to prices in Japan.
Good luck with whatever you choose.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:29 am

If you're budget minded here are a few Kuying options. I have the Teton L "big trout' I use as a BFS plug rod and I like it.

http://www.aliexpress.com/af/kuying-rod ... anktest=10

versus158
Angler
Angler

Post by versus158 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:04 pm

To answer the previous posts, I have tried some 1 and 2 piece rods, and to be honest I can't feel the difference, my level probably isn't advanced enough to notice any sort of change in performance in between 1 and 2 piece rods.
Thank you for your advice regarding other EU retailers, I had a look in france but most of them just have really cheap 2 piece models.

paulito
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by paulito » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:29 am

2 piece rods are fine. However i recommend 2 piece rods that connect at the top of the handle. This only takes a foot- 1.5 ft off of the rod length.It seems you are trying to find one thatis an even two piece rod. What about the shimano clarus?

versus158
Angler
Angler

Post by versus158 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:19 am

Yes I'm looking for an even split 2 piece, snooping around different sites i've narrowed it down to these models :

Shimano poison adrena 1610M-2
Illex/Ashura Deliverance B2102M
Shimano Expride 166M2

Which model would you recommend ?

Looking forward to your input.

GRH
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GRH » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:41 am

versus158 wrote:Yes I'm looking for an even split 2 piece, snooping around different sites i've narrowed it down to these models :

Shimano Expride 166M2

I can't directly comment on the Shimano Poison Adrena 1610M-2, but I do have the one-piece Shimano Poison Adrena 1610M and it is a really nice rod. It's upper third section is a little stiffer than what is usually associated with a Medium power rod, but not as stiff as a Medium-Heavy. Using a Metanium and Metanium MGL I can throw 3/8 oz. with ease and 1/4 oz. is still comfortable too, but it does like 3/8 and above better.

It has a very smooth, even and controlled Medium-fast action and is very light in weight. The handle is different if you are used to regular or split cork handles but you will adapt quickly.

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hulkster » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:41 am

How do you qualify your thoughts on 2- vs. 1-piece rods?
I get that weight is easy to measure (and cannot believe that the difference is "very" big), but "smoother casting" and "more sensitive"? How do you reliably measure that? Sensitivity is the most over-used term when discussing fishing rods IMO.
Stronger? How - do they break more or do they not have the strength to fight the fish? My friends and I have fished 2-piece rods for 30 years and have not had any problems with rods breaking. You fish for LM bass? People fish for 20-40lb atlantic salmon in very fast-flowing water with 2-4 piece rods (both spinning and fly, e.g. 4-piece G. Loomis NRX fly rods) and practically never 1-piece rods. They also target other much larger species with multi-piece rods (e.g. halibut). Do these multi-piece rods break all the time or lack the strength?
IMO the biggest and most relevant difference between 1- and multi-piece rods is just that - the number of pieces. If anyone has any solid data on material differences between 1- and 2-piece rods then I would love to be enlightened.
my comments re: two piece rods comes from experience and physics.

a couple of points:

1. there is a direct correlation between blank weight and sensitivity, all other things being equal. two piece rods are heavier, therefore by definition, assuming all other things equal, not as sensitive.

2. transmission of vibrations (ie sensitivity) will be more direct with a single continuous blank versus a blank with multi sections.

3. the power curve when fighting a fish and to some extent casting will be smoother and more even once again due to the one piece nature of the blank. you also don't have to worry about the top section becoming twisted or coming off during a battle or even a cast. granted, with the connections these days this is improving huge compared to the rods of yesteryear, but its still not as good.

4. price. multi piece rods are generally more expensive than comparable single piece rods. At least with higher end rods like Loomis and St. Croix they seem to be. Loomis multi piece rods are a fortune lol

in terms of strength, no, two piece rods are not exactly fragile but the ferrule is the weakest point, something that is eliminated all together with single piece rods.

When I was first learning to fish I went with two piece all the time, once I switched to one piece rods I never looked back.

yeah, they are a pain in the ass when transporting, storing etc. walking by a moving fan lol etc.

but once out on the water, its all worth it IMO.

-Hulk

silversix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by silversix » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:47 pm

Megabass Hyuga
Shimano Expride
Shimano Zodias
Major Craft Corzza (they were just sold out on PLAT for only $65-72/each)
Grapghiteleader Bosco
Fenwick Aetos

All good rods. Out of these, i'd go with the Expride, fallowed by the MB Hyuga.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:53 pm

Hulk, I appreciate your comments. Personally, I cannot discern any difference in sensitivity between 1- and 2-piece rods (modern rods made of good graphite). I accept that others may.
The two rods that have broken in my hands have both broken near the tip.
I use 1-piece rods, but still love my 2/multi-piece rods.

Concerning a 2piece rod for bank fishing:
How about this Major Craft MSX

http://tackle4all.com/majorcraft-msx-ro ... a1133beaae

versus158
Angler
Angler

Post by versus158 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:52 am

Thanks for all the help.

I think I'm sold on the poison adrena though, if I get something else I'll still have that rod in mind so I might as well just go and buy it !

As always this forum always provides top notch info !

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:00 pm

versus158 wrote:Thanks for all the help.

I think I'm sold on the poison adrena though, if I get something else I'll still have that rod in mind so I might as well just go and buy it !

As always this forum always provides top notch info !
I think that's the way to go if you're after versatility, but I'd also take a peak at the Major Craft Speedstyle 682MH regular fast. It could save you some money. Daiwa makes the Cronos in 2 piece models but they seem somewhat technique specific.

GRH
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GRH » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:35 pm

GRH wrote:
versus158 wrote:Yes I'm looking for an even split 2 piece, snooping around different sites i've narrowed it down to these models :

Shimano Expride 166M2

I can't directly comment on the Shimano Poison Adrena 1610M-2, but I do have the one-piece Shimano Poison Adrena 1610M and it is a really nice rod. It's upper third section is a little stiffer than what is usually associated with a Medium power rod, but not as stiff as a Medium-Heavy. Using a Metanium and Metanium MGL I can throw 3/8 oz. with ease and 1/4 oz. is still comfortable too, but it does like 3/8 and above better.

It has a very smooth, even and controlled Medium-fast action and is very light in weight. The handle is different if you are used to regular or split cork handles but you will adapt quickly.
Good choice.

I forgot to mention in my post quoted above about sensitivity. It is a sensitive rod, not quite as sensitive as my NRXs but it is the equal to the GLX and St. Croix Legend Elites that I own. Even with the firmer tip section I've never thought it was lacking any sensitivity. Also, if you haven't fished a parabolic medium-fast action before it's a little strange at first, but a lot of fun after catching a few fish.

zalan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by zalan » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:21 am

Did you find your rod yet?

I bought this rod recently with exactly the same spec as you said:
http://tailwalk.jp/english/bass/fullrangecc/
The Bank Versatile is a good rod. This is my most expensive rod so far so I cannot really compare it to others in similar price range, but I like it anyway. It worth to take a look.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:21 am

zalan wrote:Did you find your rod yet?

The Bank Versatile is a good rod. This is my most expensive rod so far so I cannot really compare it to others in similar price range, but I like it anyway. It worth to take a look.
Does that rod come with a full grip handle as shown? Where did you purchase it from?

zalan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by zalan » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:22 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
zalan wrote:Did you find your rod yet?

Does that rod come with a full grip handle as shown? Where did you purchase it from?
Yes, it has a full grip. I purchased it locally here in Hungary, but I do not suggest it for anyone outside as the price is higher here due to duty and taxes.
Actionwise it is quite a stiff rod, it is different than most MajorCrafts, they have more forgiving action.
tailwalk.jpg
Tailwalk FullrangeCC Bank Versatile
tailwalk.jpg (92.68 KiB) Viewed 7023 times