14 Zillion Crankbait & Swimbait Rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
TxHawgs
Angler
Angler

14 Zillion Crankbait & Swimbait Rods

Post by TxHawgs » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:14 pm

So I seen the post below that says the Zillion rods aren't even close to the Adrena rods. Now that was in a JWR and I don't need that kind of sensitivity in a CB & SB rod but it still has me concerned. I have searched high and low for reviews on both of these series rods and can find nothing. Anyone in hear own any? I recently bought NRX rods for my bottom contact fishing but need CB & SB rods. As I said I tried researching them but nothing. So I'm making a blind purchase. I figured they can't be that bad, they retail for $300 a pc and I was able to pu the 8' glass MH CBR for throwing 10xds and the 8' H SBR both for $250. Both brand new, thought it was a no brainer?

big_gee
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: 14 Zillion Crankbait & Swimbait Rods

Post by big_gee » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:08 am

What I will start with is when reading TT comments and reviews take them as just a recommendation as opinions on here very and most have their favorites.

The Zillions line of rods are nice. I myself love them for CB and SB. You don't need super sensitive rods for some reaction baits but it is nice to have. When throwing 10XD and 8XD you are going to feel them with just about any rod as they are huge crankbaits. The 8 footer is great for throwing big baits as it loads nicely on the cast and the rod is parabolic but shuts off nicely when you set the hook. The longer SB rods are nice but not great for heavy swimbaits the 7'4" shines with smaller sinking swimbaits.

I have mine and like them but I don't throw SB as much as I used to. I also have some older Phenix SB rods.

TxHawgs
Angler
Angler

Post by TxHawgs » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:39 pm

Did u own the 8' H SBR? And the CBR I ordered is the glass one, have u fished any of those? If so or anyone else in here has how balanced r they, are the heavy? These seem like very unpopular rods, can't find anyone that owns them no reviews on line. TT did the model before, think it was 09 and they rated it very well. Oh well, guess I will know in about a wk and a half.

cortman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cortman » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:16 am

I had a Zillion worm & jig rod. I really wanted to like it but couldn't. Looks and fit and finish are fantastic, the rod is really beautiful and well built, but the sensitivity and balance just weren't there for me. Plus I disliked how soft the EVA grips were- I really need a good hard grip which I why I stick with cork now.

big_gee
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by big_gee » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:40 am

I have most of the Zillion rods. I have the glass one and it fishes great. It is not too heavy for an 8 foot stick. Most 8 foot crankin sticks are going to be on the heavy side when throwing big crankbaits like the 10XD and 8XD. When throwing big cranks the rod and bait do wear on you. I can fish it all day on not complain. Of course I'm not your typically weight weenie. :lol: :lol: I myself like the feel and the weight of most of the zillion rods and I prefer the eva over the cork.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:07 am

I have the 8ft MH Zillion (gen 2.5) I haven't put much time on it but it seems to be a good rod. Its 7.3oz but doesn't feel that heavy. I plan on going out tomorrow so ill put more time in with it.

TxHawgs
Angler
Angler

Post by TxHawgs » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:59 pm

ccass wrote:I have the 8ft MH Zillion (gen 2.5) I haven't put much time on it but it seems to be a good rod. Its 7.3oz but doesn't feel that heavy. I plan on going out tomorrow so ill put more time in with it.
That's the CBR u have? If u think about it post tomorrow night your thoughts and how it handled the big baits, if u throw the 8 & 10XD. Thanks

TxHawgs
Angler
Angler

Post by TxHawgs » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:01 pm

big_gee wrote:I have most of the Zillion rods. I have the glass one and it fishes great. It is not too heavy for an 8 foot stick. Most 8 foot crankin sticks are going to be on the heavy side when throwing big crankbaits like the 10XD and 8XD. When throwing big cranks the rod and bait do wear on you. I can fish it all day on not complain. Of course I'm not your typically weight weenie. :lol: :lol: I myself like the feel and the weight of most of the zillion rods and I prefer the eva over the cork.
Thanks for your input, how does it handle the 10XD with it being right at its 2oz. weight limit?

big_gee
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by big_gee » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:52 am

It handles the 10XD pretty good for that big bait. My fishing partner throws his on a flippin stick which is way to stiff and it wears on him. I have thrown it for long periods of time on the 8' rod and it didn't wear me down. It's hard to find a good dedicated rod for giant crankbaits but this one works for me.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:56 am

I have thrown the 25' Arashi cranks with it. Handles fine. Tip is soft enough to play fish next to the boat yet, has enough backbone for throwing and working deep cranks.

big_gee
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by big_gee » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:57 am

CCASS how do you like the 25' Arashi?

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:21 am

ccass wrote:I have the 8ft MH Zillion (gen 2.5) I haven't put much time on it but it seems to be a good rod. Its 7.3oz but doesn't feel that heavy. I plan on going out tomorrow so ill put more time in with it.

Talking about the 8 foot Med Heavy GLASS Rod. Model #: ZIL801MHRB-G ????

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:22 am

ccass wrote:I have thrown the 25' Arashi cranks with it. Handles fine. Tip is soft enough to play fish next to the boat yet, has enough backbone for throwing and working deep cranks.
The 8 foot Glass model ?

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:50 am

E73Bass wrote:
ccass wrote:I have thrown the 25' Arashi cranks with it. Handles fine. Tip is soft enough to play fish next to the boat yet, has enough backbone for throwing and working deep cranks.
The 8 foot Glass model ?
Yeah.

I haven't fished the 25' Arashi much. It does cast well and I don't find it too hard to reel in. I like the Arashi line of cranks.

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:47 am

ccass wrote:
E73Bass wrote:
The 8 foot Glass model ?
Yeah.

I haven't fished the 25' Arashi much. It does cast well and I don't find it too hard to reel in. I like the Arashi line of cranks.
Tried the 10XD or LC 120 on it yet?