WHAT NEW ROD IS DAVE MERCER TESTING?!

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: WHAT NEW ROD IS DAVE MERCER TESTING?!

Post by Fishing4Fun » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:57 am

I would love to see a new Cumulus. Still the lightest rods I have used and the 6'10 MH is a great moving bait rod for poppers and jerkbaits.

fishingcreekoutdoors
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishingcreekoutdoors » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:01 am

CGrinder wrote:I've been wrong before but I don't think that's a TCS.
i sure as heck hope not cause shimano needs to come out with a high end rod soon because the expired and arenas are semingly being discontinued in the us because all the tackle sites don't have them....

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:47 am

fishingcreekoutdoors wrote:
i sure as heck hope not cause shimano needs to come out with a high end rod soon because the expired and arenas are semingly being discontinued in the us because all the tackle sites don't have them....
With Shimano owning Loomis, I'd imagine they don't have a flagship/high end rod in the us market due to it cannibalizing nrx/glx sales.
Given that the NRX has such cheap components on them & made here in the USA, I'd imagine their profit margin is pretty high. Much higher than a rod imported from Japan, spec'd out in premium Fuji components & materials would be.
If you want a high end shimano rod, there's plenty of awesome options from overseas.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:39 am

My eyes may be playing tricks on me, but that does not look like an exposed reel seat. Overall, it doesn't appear very high end, but the pics aren't the greatest. Shimano wouldn't put out a new Cumulus without some fancy Ci4 reel seat would they? Cumara maybe, but doubtful. Maybe a replacement for the Crucial or lower? Doesn't mean Shimano won't release some higher end sticks still come classic time. Just my 2 cents

fishingcreekoutdoors
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishingcreekoutdoors » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:23 am

spookybaits wrote:
With Shimano owning Loomis, I'd imagine they don't have a flagship/high end rod in the us market due to it cannibalizing nrx/glx sales.
Given that the NRX has such cheap components on them & made here in the USA, I'd imagine their profit margin is pretty high. Much higher than a rod imported from Japan, spec'd out in premium Fuji components & materials would be.
If you want a high end shimano rod, there's plenty of awesome options from overseas.
true true, but i do thin and american specific shimano rod in the 250-350 price range would be nice.... that price range wouldn't harm GLX and NRX sales and would cover something new (what the cumara used to cover)

fishingcreekoutdoors
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishingcreekoutdoors » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:26 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:My eyes may be playing tricks on me, but that does not look like an exposed reel seat. Overall, it doesn't appear very high end, but the pics aren't the greatest. Shimano wouldn't put out a new Cumulus without some fancy Ci4 reel seat would they? Cumara maybe, but doubtful. Maybe a replacement for the Crucial or lower? Doesn't mean Shimano won't release some higher end sticks still come classic time. Just my 2 cents
i think they need to come out with some new higher end stick to cover all the high end reels they have been releasing.....and yea we will have to see come classic time...i just want an option other than a NRX or a GLX because the Adrenas and Exprides seem to b disappearing....

jpmoney
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jpmoney » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:52 am

spookybaits wrote:
Agreed. Just buy a poison glorious or ultima and be done with it. Considering shimano owns G Loomis i highly doubt they will release a rod that would overshadow the GLX/NRX that are so dearly loved by so many over here - its just not a smart business move. In Japan, shimano's rod offerings meet the demands of the JDM high end market so if you want high end shimano rods just look there and be done with it. Even in the slight chance shimano brings over a high end offering, its price will be marked up significantly to cover their gold plated 1 year warranty.

Dark3
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dark3 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:28 am

My guess is the crucial replacement. If I were a betting man and hadnt always already spent my money on tackle and such, i would bet that the crucial sales numbers arent to exciting for shimano right now. Its time they either fix it or pull it. It had no place in the same market as the zodias besides having a cork more traditional option.

Fishinfanatic115
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fishinfanatic115 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:34 am

Could be a test-model non blinged Ci4+ reel seat as well.
Either a new Cumara/Cumulus or a new Crucial is as likely. There's definitely a hole above the Zodias, and it seems that Shimano is phasing out the Crucial, since they've been running a pretty good sale on a combo of that and an entry level reel.

VegasNative
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by VegasNative » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:41 pm

Maybe a new cumulus ?Man that would be awesome!

fishingcreekoutdoors
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishingcreekoutdoors » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:00 pm

Fishinfanatic115 wrote:Could be a test-model non blinged Ci4+ reel seat as well.
Either a new Cumara/Cumulus or a new Crucial is as likely. There's definitely a hole above the Zodias, and it seems that Shimano is phasing out the Crucial, since they've been running a pretty good sale on a combo of that and an entry level reel.
well i think we can all say that it will probably be a new "C" rod (cumara,cumulus,crucial) but my honest bet is a new cumara

fishingcreekoutdoors
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishingcreekoutdoors » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:01 pm

VegasNative wrote:Maybe a new cumulus ?Man that would be awesome!
IT SURE WOULD BE!! =D>

VegasNative
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by VegasNative » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:17 pm

Doubt it's a crucial.

They are completely lacking in the higher end rod market if that's the case.

That would mean there flagship rod is expride ](*,)

fishingcreekoutdoors
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishingcreekoutdoors » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:43 pm

VegasNative wrote:Doubt it's a crucial.

agreed! they need high end shimano rod!

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:55 pm

VegasNative wrote:Doubt it's a crucial.

It has a 2 dollar reel seat on it :lol: . For all we know it's something Dave had custom built. Love how one little fragmented photo stirs such a buzz. We all got problems :big grin: