ICast preview, look at new GLX

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
User avatar
21farms
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1490
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:54 pm
Location: sacramento, california

Re: ICast preview, look at new GLX

Post by 21farms » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:43 pm

after viewing the video at TW on the new GLXs, i take back my criticism on the fade paint process. that first picture and the description make it seem like only the exposed portion of the blank behind the grip had that fade-paint process. it actually extends up past the front of the grip by half a foot or so, fading from darker to lighter as you go up the blank. i like that the rest of the blank is unfinished too. still not a fan of that out-of-place-looking carbon fiber band on the rear grip BUT a 20-percent lighter blank has me interested in the GLX again. i loved the originals but the current green ones just didn't feel as light, crisp or responsive.

shimanogloomis man
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 465
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:54 pm
Location: nj

Re: ICast preview, look at new GLX

Post by shimanogloomis man » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:50 am

I can't wait to get a hold of one at my local store . Might be getting a dsr!

User avatar
spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2131
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:17 pm
Location: In the belly of a shark

Re: ICast preview, look at new GLX

Post by spookybaits » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:24 am

Ima lookin' and ima likin'!

Any word on if there's any GLX swimbait rods or cranking models?
I'm pretty set on getting the legend elite 7'6 & 7'11 models for medium-deep cranking but would definently entertain a full grip GLX.

User avatar
bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 4292
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 5:21 pm
Location: www.tackletrap.com
Contact:

Re: ICast preview, look at new GLX

Post by bronzefly » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:44 pm

spookybaits wrote:Ima lookin' and ima likin'!

Any word on if there's any GLX swimbait rods or cranking models?
I'm pretty set on getting the legend elite 7'6 & 7'11 models for medium-deep cranking but would definently entertain a full grip GLX.
The full line has been introduced, no swim bait, no cranking models at this time.

VegasNative
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 77
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:19 pm

Re: ICast preview, look at new GLX

Post by VegasNative » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:59 am

Not liking the carbon insert!Seems kinda random,and I love carbon LOL!

User avatar
triple_illusion
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1671
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:26 am

Re: ICast preview, look at new GLX

Post by triple_illusion » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:30 am

Man, if only they made the foregrip a little prettier, maybe a decorative metal component, and made the butt grip longer, in my opinion that would have made it proper. I still like the idea of a new GLX and the colors overall look pretty good. Still, these could use some visual improvement, basically the same thing as the previous GLX but better colors. Why don't they make more significant changes? Come on already! Just give the GLX blanks to Megabass and let them build it :lol:

User avatar
spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2131
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:17 pm
Location: In the belly of a shark

Re: ICast preview, look at new GLX

Post by spookybaits » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:41 am

Looking at the tackletour pics, these rods are sharp looking.
That blue and gold really pop.
Should make for some really nice looking rod & reel combos, with both complimentary color reels(something like a Met with blue or gold accent parts) as well as contrasting color reels (like an ito).

Looking forward to hearing feedback on these. I'm guessing they should be a little more sensitive due to weight reduction?
Bummer they downgraded the guides from titanium. Perhaps that means new NRX rods will get them :-k

PBP
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 172
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:17 am
Location: Ontario

Re: ICast preview, look at new GLX

Post by PBP » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:05 am


User avatar
BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1636
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:44 pm
Location: Utah

Re: ICast preview, look at new GLX

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:22 am

Awesome video, I plan on getting one soon...

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 647
Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 8:09 am

Re: ICast preview, look at new GLX

Post by Hulkster » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:06 am

looks amazing. the only thing that makes me nervous is the custom reel seat.

the NRX's have that and hundreds of them fell apart at first. some are probably still doing it from the first generation.

not sure why they were afraid to use a stock Fuji reel seat. they work well and last.

Chode
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1358
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:42 pm

Re: ICast preview, look at new GLX

Post by Chode » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:10 am

Hulkster wrote: not sure why they were afraid to use a stock Fuji reel seat. they work well and last.
most likely cost savings

pharmboy2010
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 992
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Belleville, Illinois

Re: ICast preview, look at new GLX

Post by pharmboy2010 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:12 am

Hulkster wrote:looks amazing. the only thing that makes me nervous is the custom reel seat.

the NRX's have that and hundreds of them fell apart at first. some are probably still doing it from the first generation.

not sure why they were afraid to use a stock Fuji reel seat. they work well and last.

Actually, its not the same seat as the NRX. It's the same seat that the current GLX have. I've not had any problems with mine or heard of any problems. They are still a one piece design, not too different than a Fuji ECS.

TxHawgs
Angler
Angler
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:34 am

Re: ICast preview, look at new GLX

Post by TxHawgs » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:36 pm

No wonder it has that carbon ring on the rear, that's Rackley's influence coming from the blinged out Dobyns he fished for yrs lol. I hate the way they look, the full grip isn't as bad as the split. And if that carbon ring was gone on the full grip I wouldn't have a problem w it. The spinning rod handles, wow they are really ugly. I'm just wondering if they are keeping the current GLX crankbait rods? They haven't taken them off the Loomis site but a lot of the retailers sold them off. TW still has them but on sale, Monster sold em off so I don't know what there doin. If they do get rid of them we won't be left w much from Loomis when it comes to crankbait rods. 3 E6X models and the rest old style grip ones.

User avatar
cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 4086
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:32 pm
Location: CANADA

Re: ICast preview, look at new GLX

Post by cndbasshunter » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:38 pm

TxHawgs wrote:No wonder it has that carbon ring on the rear, that's Rackley's influence coming from the blinged out Dobyns he fished for yrs lol. I hate the way they look, the full grip isn't as bad as the split. And if that carbon ring was gone on the full grip I wouldn't have a problem w it. The spinning rod handles, wow they are really ugly. I'm just wondering if they are keeping the current GLX crankbait rods? They haven't taken them off the Loomis site but a lot of the retailers sold them off. TW still has them but on sale, Monster sold em off so I don't know what there doin. If they do get rid of them we won't be left w much from Loomis when it comes to crankbait rods. 3 E6X models and the rest old style grip ones.
cranks remain unchanged...for now.

TobyJ
Angler
Angler
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:49 pm

Re: ICast preview, look at new GLX

Post by TobyJ » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:04 pm

I see there is going to be an 893 spinning in GLX... This is awesome! Wish they would offer this one in NRX as well!

Post Reply