Anyone find "The One"?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
TahoeDust
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Anyone find "The One"?

Post by TahoeDust » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:16 am

NRX 803c with a 13' Metanium. For me this is the one. If I could only take one set up with me for everything, for the rest of my life, this is it.

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:29 am

Call me crazy, but the 7'4" Envy Spinning rod may be as close to 'the one' as I have ever fished. We are talking about true versatility here, right? One rod to take with you if you had no idea what you were going to find in a new body of water?
The tip is extremely light, and soft, but extra EXTRA fast. The working length of that tip feels like no more than 10" when I am dragging tubes. The backbone is JARRING when fished with braid, as I have discovered this year after switching from flouro for economic reasons (braid=couple of seasons, flouro=couple of trips).
I believe you could fish 8lb flouro as light of a finesse rig as you need to with this rod, all the way up to t-rigs in pretty heavy cover with heavier braid. The soft tip to strong backbone ratio is unbelievable. It is such a quick transition that longevity was a concern at first, but after 3 years of dragging tubes for big smallies, no issues.
Would it be my first rod choice if sheer enjoyment were the quest? Not a chance. Cumulus 610MH. But if I needed to take one rod north on a fly in, this may be the one.
Obviously the spinning reel factor is an unfair advantage when it comes to casting lighter baits, and may become a hindrance in heavier bait and target presentation situations, but hell, I think I could do it all.

dirtygeary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dirtygeary » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:14 am

I like having 30, screw one. :big grin:

egore1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by egore1 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:03 am

Loomis MBR 844 GLX can do almost anything I ask of it for bass fishing. I have lots of other high end gear to use but this could do a vast majority of my fishing while impressing me the whole time.

NormanD
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by NormanD » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:53 am

Tahoe,

Very nice picture. Looks professional. Like the blue braid on there.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:40 am

by now, we all know THE ONE does not exist. I have 16 "the ones" :lol: I have Tahoe's ONE exact combo and it is one of my 16 the ONEs.

If I answered in 2010, I would have said the MBR 843 glx by loomis. By 2016, so many nice rods and different actions exist that price and branding are no longer a consideration in a honest assessment if the question is what single rod would you pick if that was all you had for the remainder of days. I think where you fish a bigger factor then brand or model.

masterbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by masterbass » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:38 am

For weightless senkos, wacky rigs, light t rigs, light jigs so far I'm loving my nrx 852c/ito combo as "the one." For 1/4-3/8 t rigs and jigs, I'm confident that my nrx 893c/met mgl xg is "the one." For frogs/pitching I really like my xxpp/exsence dc. I don't know if it's "the one," but I'm happy with it. I'm getting close to the point where I'm satisfied with my arsenal enough to the point where I'm not buying as much anymore. Don't get me wrong because I still browse the classifieds and get the monkey whispering in my ear, but I don't feel like I "need" anything.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:10 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:Well I believe my custom 683ml Phenix K2 to be the one for throwing 4.8 and 5.8 Flick Shakes on 1/8 Oz wacky heads. The one for me anyways. The power and action is spot on, and the blank detects any sort of take or strike impressively.
I'm going to attempt to have the one built soon for small paddle tail swimbaits. These are the two techniques I find myself employing most often.
The blank has been chosen. NFC SJ705 IM. Hope this will be "the one" for my paddle tail swimbait rod [-o<

nativefloridian
Angler
Angler

Post by nativefloridian » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:36 pm

I found my one in the Power Tackle paragon pg104. The rod is great for everything, Built on a nfc blank an very sensitive.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:09 am

Gotta go with the new steez 8' ags rod

I took it out with a bfs reel and threw little shimano cardiff tougas for brown trout on the delaware.
Not ideal do to the spaztic brown trout and it being a bit too heavy in action. But it did the job.

It is a spectacular worm rod from senkos to draggin bottom

Great with jigs in grass and cover

SPinnerbaits it's not the best but works fine

Small swimbaits up to around an ounce an a half or even over perfectly fine.

Very good frog rod

Works well with cranks although not as spongy as a crank specific stick

Sensitivity is startling.

I just ordered a second.
along with a pair of steez tws reels to match

TahoeDust
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TahoeDust » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:43 pm

NormanD wrote:Tahoe,

Very nice picture. Looks professional. Like the blue braid on there.
Thanks man. That is the best all around setup I have ever used. NRX 803c with a upgraded shallow spool '13 Metanium and 20lb Power Pro. Love it.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:06 am

If I gave all my sticks away except one, that one would my Poison Glorious 164L Multirole.

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hulkster » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:27 am

I know its not the best rod out there, but I spent some time this past weekend on a northern Ontario lake and I was thoroughly impressed with my G. Loomis E6X MBR843C and Curado 200i PG reel. awesome for throwing cranks, spinner baits, jigs etc. you name it.

only problem was, other than a big pike I had on but did not land, I didn't catch a fish with the combo yet... :(

the 7 foot taper on the MBR rod was awesome, and the reel was great. long casting and easy to use.

RogerHarvey
Angler
Angler

Post by RogerHarvey » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:38 am

thanks to all of you for your suggestions. It helped me a lot.

TFOUR
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by TFOUR » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:04 pm

My problem with the one is that as long as Rod technology gets better even if you think you have the one now, in 5-7 years it won't be good enough. Even if the old rod did everything great.