Ned rig rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
capesmallie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Ned rig rod

Post by capesmallie » Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:08 am

What are guys using for ned rig?

masterbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Ned rig rod

Post by masterbass » Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:39 am

I've been using my klx finesse tube jig worm rod with a Px r and diy chinese spool. It has soft tip so I keep in contact with the bait.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:43 am

I was using a Trulinoya elite 652L and like it alot but I broke it. Unable to source a replacement tip I bought another Aliexpress rod, the Kuying Teton 662L which is more like a UL compared to the Trulinoya and is too noodley for my liking. When my Zodias 610 ML gets here I'll fish that and If I don't like it for the Ned, which I probably won't, then I'll get something else just for the Ned, probably a Majorcraft Volkey carbon tip.

An L powered rod rated down to 1/8 with a strong backbone and a fast to extra fast taper would be ideal for the Ned IMO.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:35 am

LowRange wrote: An L powered rod rated down to 1/8 with a strong backbone and a fast to extra fast taper would be ideal for the Ned IMO.
The new Legend Elite 7ft Lite is perfect. It's exactly as you described as above. I made one into a BFS rod and its good for anything in the ned rig range. Pretty versatile blank.

TravisNY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TravisNY » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:44 am

My good friend Ned Kehde and I have batted this one around plenty. Most of my rod insights concerning the rig have appeared on Ned's Midwest Finesse I-F site.

To many the "Ned Rig" consists of the cut ZinkerZ or TRD solely. If this is your case sir that may call for one line of thinking regarding rod choice. If by "Ned Rig" you mean the various rigs that sir Ned and I use that are not only the cut sticks and TRD but also the Finesse ShadZ, tail portion of a FattyZ, Finesse WormZ or my baby EZ TubeZ then that opens choices. Then of course there are considerably more choices when combining the above offerings on what head you so choose. 1/32, 1/16 lite wire Gopher ? Larger hooked, heavier gauged Finesse ShroomZ ? Or another ?

All depends on what the "Ned Rig" means to you. Be glad to help from there. I've fished a ton of rods using these offerings.

Regards, Travis

capesmallie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by capesmallie » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:51 am

TravisNY wrote:My good friend Ned Kehde and I have batted this one around plenty. Most of my rod insights concerning the rig have appeared on Ned's Midwest Finesse I-F site.

To many the "Ned Rig" consists of the cut ZinkerZ or TRD solely. If this is your your case sir that may call for one line of thinking regarding rod choice. If by "Ned Rig" you mean the various rigs that sir Ned and I use that are not only the cut sticks and TRD but also the Finesse ShadZ, tail portion of a FattyZ, Finesse WormZ or my baby EZ TubeZ then that opens choices. Then of course there are considerably more choices when combining the above offerings on what head you so choose. 1/32, 1/16 lite wire Gopher ? Larger hooked, heavier gauged Finesse ShroomZ ? Or another ?

All depends on what the "Ned Rig" means to you. Be glad to help from there. I've fished a ton of rods using these offerings.

Regards, Travis
I got my rear end handed to me by a couple.guys fishing the little cut off senko style bait on a 1/16 th oz mushroom head jig. I believe it was all zman gear. Regardless I guess I am looking for the proper rod for the light mushroom head with a small plastic. Is casting distance as important as having the power to.put the screws to a bigger fish?

Canga-
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Canga- » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:02 am

IMO, there is nothing too special about the "ned rig" its just a jighead with a plastic bait, its been fished for many many years, just now has a shiny new name.

that being said, i also dont think it really needs a specific rod, i have had great success with many rods, 6' ml/f legend elite, 6'10" ml/xf legend elite, 6'5" l/f major craft ms-x limited, any of the f3-610xs megabass rods, etc...my favorite is the major craft, just because it is so sensitive, and fun to play fish on.

MaxZmus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MaxZmus » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:24 am

Like any other technique. Match the rod to the overall weight of the lure. I mainly use my 7" ML Shimano Zodias paired with a Pfleuger President Lmited in the 25 size. Spooled with 5lbs Power Pro tied to anything from 6 to 10lbs fluorocarbon leaders. I mainly throw the 1/15oz Zman head with the TRD and I'll move up to the 1/8oz head for deeper water in the 20' range. Since it's an open, light-wire hook rig, I don't think you need a lot of power in a rod. I always use a fast reeling hookset followed by just leaning back or lifting the rod up. I always get them somewhere in the mouth and still have not gut hooked a fish. My other rod is the 13 Omen Black 71L. Lots of fun on these light rods.

Jrob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jrob » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:08 pm

Been mostly throwing the 1/20oz shroom head jigs with TRD finesse worm on my new Shimano Poison Glorious 62L BFS rod. Paired with the Aldebaran BFS XG and 8 lbs invisix right now.

big_gee
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by big_gee » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:58 am

I fish the Ned Rig a lot here on the westcoast and I get asked a lot of times about fishing it. I myself prefer a longer rod. I have been using the Daiwa Cronos 7'6" MLXF. I have no problem casting a 1/10oz Shroomz head with a TRD, Finesse Shadz or cut Zinkerz. I have no problems with hooks sets as well with the longer rod as I can move more line and not have to set so hard especially with light line. During the cold months here I will drop down to 4 lb flouro.

I'm looking forward to the new TRD Tube coming out soon.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:56 am

+1 on Jrob comment
Those Poison Glorious BFS rods - 66L Cover Trap and 62L are truly amazing for light rigs, very sensitive sticks!

TravisNY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TravisNY » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:38 am

big_gee wrote:I'm looking forward to the new TRD Tube coming out soon.
A big grin as I type here sir. I had a big hand in its development. I'm truly honored they took it on.
Hope you like them.

Regards, Travis

big_gee
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by big_gee » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:14 am

Travis, The bait looks great. I will have my hands on them soon enough.

Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bassmar » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:21 pm

Been using the NRX 822S SYR. Super sensitive and well suited for the Ned Rig. =D>

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:03 am

The MajorCraft Volkey 682 L BFS I have works very well but the lightest rig I throw is a 1/10 oz head on a cut down hulla stick. If I wanted to go lighter than that I'd be looking at the Volkey 65UL or any of the numerous UL majorcraft BFS rods really. I've go a chance to fish the Zodias BFS 610 ML and is awfully stout and fishes a lot like a Veritas medium powered spinning rod.