Ned rig rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Ned rig rod

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:21 am

LowRange wrote:The MajorCraft Volkey 682 L BFS I have works very well but the lightest rig I throw is a 1/10 oz head on a cut down hulla stick. If I wanted to go lighter than that I'd be looking at the Volkey 65UL or any of the numerous UL majorcraft BFS rods really. I've go a chance to fish the Zodias BFS 610 ML and is awfully stout and fishes a lot like a Veritas medium powered spinning rod.
I have thrown a 1/16 oz head with 3/4 of a 4" Yum Dinger on this exact same Volkey rod. The right reel helps tremendously (I use a Finesse Custom with SV spool and 15# Invisibraid, sometimes with a short mono leader). This rods shines with anything from 1/16 to 1/4 oz heads and small plastics. In fact, I love it for most any finesse application.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:49 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
LowRange wrote:The MajorCraft Volkey 682 L BFS I have works very well but the lightest rig I throw is a 1/10 oz head on a cut down hulla stick. If I wanted to go lighter than that I'd be looking at the Volkey 65UL or any of the numerous UL majorcraft BFS rods really. I've go a chance to fish the Zodias BFS 610 ML and is awfully stout and fishes a lot like a Veritas medium powered spinning rod.
I have thrown a 1/16 oz head with 3/4 of a 4" Yum Dinger on this exact same Volkey rod. The right reel helps tremendously (I use a Finesse Custom with SV spool and 15# Invisibraid, sometimes with a short mono leader). This rods shines with anything from 1/16 to 1/4 oz heads and small plastics. In fact, I love it for most any finesse application.
Good to know. I intend to fish an 1/8 oz slider head on a 4'' swimming dinger today on the Volkey 682L BFS . I found the 4'' swimming dinger and 1/8 head to be just barely usable on the Zodias 610 ML and expect the Volkey to do much better. I use an alphas SV and a Zonda Rosso with either the SV spool or a DIY spool in them for my BFS. The Alphas SV now rests on the Zodias and I've got an SS SV for the Volkey BFS but the DIY spool for the SS SV it is not in yet. The Zonda Rosso + DIY is going out today.

I've heard the Volkey 68L BFS is a super versitile stick. Of my growing BFS collection I expect the Volkey BFS 682L to be the versatile, basic finesse stick, the Zodias BFS 610 ML to be the beefy stick, a 'finesse power game' if you will and the STC-63UL to be the extra fast solid carbon tip roller caster and dock shooter. The MajorCraft BIC-65UL/BF is the wild card. I don't have the rod yet but I did have a Trulinoya Elite 65UL that I liked a great deal and that rod is a knock off of the Volkey 652UL but worse in every way.

TFOUR
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by TFOUR » Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:02 pm

I've been using my phenix dropshot xf custom rod for this. I have had alot of success on this but I think i'm going to power down a little bit and maybe get a rod with a softer tip. I have lost a couple fish due to bent hooks and or snapped line even with the drag set low.

Tavery5
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tavery5 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:41 pm

You don't need anything special to fish the Ned Rig, purchase yourself a cheap spinning rod, and a descent spinning reel, spool it up with a good quality line and you will catch many many fish.
If you have time do a little reading about Ned Kahde and the equipment he chooses to use for this type of fishing. Sensitivity is not an issue with this style of fishing as it is designed for very light jigheads and small plastics, you don't need to feel your bait.

Frugality is a large part of the Midwest Finesse Fishing style.

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:40 pm

I really like my MHX HM 7ft light power popping rod blank with 6lb CXX. My absolute favourite way to fish. Had this yesterday with the rig, pink half zinker on a 3/32 home pour head with an Eagle Claw Lil' Nasty hook. Tremendous! :lol:

Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bassmar » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:37 am

Tim Kelly wrote:I really like my MHX HM 7ft light power popping rod blank with 6lb CXX. My absolute favourite way to fish. Had this yesterday with the rig, pink half zinker on a 3/32 home pour head with an Eagle Claw Lil' Nasty hook. Tremendous! :lol:

Beautiful fish. Like a Largemouth with red fins.:D What is it?

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:06 am

Perch (european not yellow)

fishindad
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishindad » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:53 am

Tim Kelly wrote:Perch (european not yellow)
If those taste anything like our yellow perch, and they ever made it into the Great Lakes, no one would fish for walleyes any more!! Imagine a limit of 18"ers, lol.

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:49 pm

Daiwa Tatula 6-10" Finesse Cast rod. (lower cost version of the Steez -Megatop-but with very similar blank). Can be found for $99. TAT6101MXB
M XF 6'10" 1 6 - 16 3/32 - 1

and either a Pixy or SV105 with 8 lb fluoro.

Equals perfect setup for ned rig.

joe chum
Angler
Angler

Post by joe chum » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:29 pm

Fenwick Elite Tech Smallmouth 7' 4" M/F spinning. This rod gets me the extra distance when fishing open water.

Mothra
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Mothra » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:17 am

ALX Diplomat here, 12lb braid to 8 flouro

timsford
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timsford » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:58 am

Fenwick elite tech smallmouth 6'10" ml spinning but sometimes I throw it on the 6'3" medium power rod if I'm skipping docks or trees or fishing creeks and small rivers where I don't have room to make normal casts. I've caught smallies over 5lbs with the ned, it's definitely one of favorite ways to fish. I like to use the zman craws and shads and whopper baits boxing craws more than the TRD or zinkerz. I can't wait to try the tube

Fishinfanatic115
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fishinfanatic115 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:53 am

Dobyns Coalition 703SF with 15lb J-Braid and an 8lb Gamma Edge Leader.

dv1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by dv1 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:34 am

So far, I have been using St. Croix legend elites in 7'l both L and ML for the Ned right. With the lightest jig head and limited cover, the L is my favorite. The ML is the best all-round option though. This year, I did not toss much else when I was out. I only get out a lot over a 2 week period in the summer when on vacation, so my time is limited and the Ned rig was my go to rig by far this year. Spent a little time with other options, but with the Ned rig was putting 10 bass an hour in the boat, if something else did not product quickly, I went back to it.

We will see if this is a short lived phenomena or if this will be a long term option. It did not change the average size of fish much, if at all. I actually caught my largest smallmouth bass on one this summer and got a few more bonus species (walleye, crappie, carp, and bluegill) than I usually do when bass fishing.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:36 am

I've got a chance to put some hours behind the Volkey BFS throwing a Ned rig and have found that the Majorcraft Volkey 68L works very well as a casting Ned rig rod. It's got the perfect blend of soft tip and powerful backbone for 1/10-1/7 ounce heads paired to 3-4 inch plastics and elaztechs. The tip feels overloaded at anything above 1/4 ounce which would make sense given the rods upper rating of 1/4 ounce. At 1/4 ounce total package weight I prefer the 610 ML Zodias but rarely throw a Ned rig in that weight range.