best rod for ...

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: best rod for ...

Post by 78Staff » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:25 pm

cndbasshunter wrote:NRX854 is pretty slick for docks.
Agreed this is my dock skipping rod currently. I wouldn't mind it being a few inches shorter :), but it works well.

Revofisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: best rod for ...

Post by Revofisher » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:54 am

1 nrx 854 softer than other nrx rods makes a great skipping choice
2 kistler helium 3 7'1 med hvy extra fast. this rod has a softer tip great for skipping
3 st croix legend elite 7' med hvy fast tip. stout backbone and good tip
4 shimano expride a 7'2 med hvy fast tip.
5 diablo spec r orochi xx . I loved skipping swimjigs with this rod worked fantactic but i didnt really fish a lot of conventional jigs with it mostly just swim jigs but it really has a great skipping action.

being taller i generally get away with using longer rods. the rods i listed are not in any order of which is best they are just a few that kind of stood out to me recently while skipping.
I will add the Destroyer fmj as a mention as well even though it does not have the ideal tip for skipping in my hands it did really well with the heavier weights 1/2 oz ish type jigs skipped very well with that rod as well.

i have mostly shimanos and really have found the bantam to be a great reel for skipping in the shimano camp. Daiwa yields the sv spool reels and you really cant go wrong there super beginner friendly while learning to skip. Hard to beat the sv spool when skipping comes to mind.