Megabass or ??????

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Megabass or ??????

Post by goldrod » Tue May 24, 2016 7:33 am

Im looking again at the steez compile X 7'1" rod

and I wanted to know what rod rivials it from the MB line up or any line up that you may suggest?
I am planning to put my PXTR on it or IS 79 , IS73 Or my newly acquired Steez 100sha. I wish i could
post pictures but anyways that is what I am looking for. I was looking at the super red demon but not
sure If i will like that rod or not. The Compile X keeps ringing but i hear good and bad about it.. and
it dont have time for rods of that caliber breaking from setting the hook. I may go to the ST.C LE
7'1" but I am not sure.. I've even considered a Zodias but not sure what they have to match or exceed the
compile X so suggestions are welcome.

Farnorth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Megabass or ??????

Post by Farnorth » Tue May 24, 2016 8:12 am

Not sure I am matching the right rod but I looked it up and it said $599 from TW. If I were spending that kind of money on a heavy rod with similar specs here is what I would choose.

Poison Ultima 7'2" H (retail is $638)

Thinking you could get it for less by emailing a vendor like JPAngler.

Abu Daimano
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Abu Daimano » Tue May 24, 2016 10:12 am

The SRD is a super heavy Rod that's rated up to 8oz. - much better suited for swimbaits and a round reel than a Steez framed reel.

If you're looking for a heavy Rod from MB similar in length to the compile X 71 I would say the new Faust in the MB destroyer line up is a good choice - 8 power and 7'3. Also the perfect pitch or worm and jig from the MB XX Orochi line up. 7'2 or 7'0 heavier powered rods, and worth well above their price range.

I've used a ton of brands of higher end rods, and there's something about Megabass that keeps pulling me back to them

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Tue May 24, 2016 11:51 pm

I had a compile x that I regret selling,always wanted to replace it.
Managed to handle a couple of the Tatula rods in store the other day.
How rods have advanced in the past few years.If you are not hung up on brand names and inflated prices,give them a good look.
I have found my compile x replacement 8-)

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed May 25, 2016 4:51 am

Thanks All and Thanks for the PM

I looked at the NRX 854 i belived it is , and thats just something to working with.. In the MB line up
i am still looking. I think its going to be the new destroyer. I am not caught up on names or titles,
just wanted to worth the money on it.. I am gone, not at home..but it gives me time to look at specs.
and read the magazines with the pretty pictures and not meat in the articles.

What I can say in all truth is, outside of Loomis, MB , StC and Daiwa ( and maybe shimano but i think they lost it when
they got rid of the black cumara or the gen 1 crucials) Im not really looking at them. I want to try to stay in the family
tree. Even a legend Extreme with the funny handle would be ok..
It may very well be the new super destroyer depending on reviews.

Abu Daimano
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Abu Daimano » Wed May 25, 2016 6:14 am

goldrod wrote:Thanks All and Thanks for the PM

I looked at the NRX 854 i belived it is , and thats just something to working with.. In the MB line up
i am still looking. I think its going to be the new destroyer. I am not caught up on names or titles,
just wanted to worth the money on it.. I am gone, not at home..but it gives me time to look at specs.
and read the magazines with the pretty pictures and not meat in the articles.

What I can say in all truth is, outside of Loomis, MB , StC and Daiwa ( and maybe shimano but i think they lost it when
they got rid of the black cumara or the gen 1 crucials) Im not really looking at them. I want to try to stay in the family
tree. Even a legend Extreme with the funny handle would be ok..
It may very well be the new super destroyer depending on reviews.
8-)

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue May 31, 2016 12:03 pm

I've looked for the Phase 3 Bearing down and of yet i've not found any of them on the web. I have the fuast and i think if i got the Ochooi XX series i would be going backwards from my NRX. It normally takes me some time to make up my mind. I looked again at the Compile X and reread my pm concerning it and as much as dont want to listen, I have to. I have not bought a rod or reel since i've been gone. I really appreciate you guys, patience and sharing of information. I had a bite on the Faust when i was home that gives me nightmares how alive that rod came in my hands. My son is a witness to the destruction that took place that day. I'm not going to prolong the inevitable and just do what needs to be done. I'll be saving money over the compile x and still be on par. One thing i've learned is not to be all over the place in my purchases. This will be my third MB rod and every time I buy one I can recall me saying, "I'll never buy one of those rods or reels" Now i have both, I just pray God has mercy on me and
give me more time to fish what HE's blessed me with. Its nothing like being out there with my son, no greater feeling than to align our wills in catching and releasing fish or not. He's learn to appreciate the equipment just as much as I do and the look on his face when He's allowed to hold any rod of mine is priceless.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:42 am

Super Destruction on its way
I had a IS79 on the Faust and is cool but i went back to the classic Core MG7
So for the SD, I have a Ian tuned IS73 with 90mm handle..