2 piece casting rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Cyacnba
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

2 piece casting rod

Post by Cyacnba » Wed May 18, 2016 1:28 pm

Hey guys,

I'm thinking about selling my NRX803C and Daiwa Tatula casting rods to get a 2 piece casting rod. It's much easier for me to travel around with a 2 piece rod, especially for a bank fisherman like me.
I'm looking for an all round rod, mainly jigs and Texas rigs, so sensitivity is key. Also, if it weights less than 5oz, it would be awesome. In terms of lenght, anything from 6'8" to 7'3" is fine. So far, I was thinking about a 13 Fishing Omen Black 7'1" MH, Shimano Expride 7'3" MH, and Megabass Hyuga 6'11" MH. I would like to keep the price under $250, but if a rod like the Poison Adrena 2 pieces is worth the price, I might consider it. What 2 piece rods would you guys recommend?

Thanks in advance.

oops
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: 2 piece casting rod

Post by oops » Wed May 18, 2016 1:55 pm

If you can find one, I was very impressed by the Fenwick Elite Tech Smallmouth 2 piece medium power fast action, I believe it is 6'8". It was the first 2 piece rod I purchased in the 21st century and I was shocked at how sensitive it was and how true it seemed to fish to its power and action rating. I regret not buying more than one when FFO had them in stock last year for only $75.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed May 18, 2016 2:01 pm

If sensitivity is most important, the Poison Adrena is going to take the cake. You can get a 2 piece 2016 6'10 medium or medium heavy model from Plat for under 300 bucks, plus another 25-30 for shipping. Cheapest prices I've come across.

Cyacnba
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Cyacnba » Wed May 18, 2016 11:25 pm

oops wrote:If you can find one, I was very impressed by the Fenwick Elite Tech Smallmouth 2 piece medium power fast action, I believe it is 6'8". It was the first 2 piece rod I purchased in the 21st century and I was shocked at how sensitive it was and how true it seemed to fish to its power and action rating. I regret not buying more than one when FFO had them in stock last year for only $75.
I can't find the 2 piece model anywhere... thanks for the recommendation though. I should have bought that rod instead of the Veritas from FFO last year
Hogsticker2 wrote:If sensitivity is most important, the Poison Adrena is going to take the cake. You can get a 2 piece 2016 6'10 medium or medium heavy model from Plat for under 300 bucks, plus another 25-30 for shipping. Cheapest prices I've come across.
How does its sensitivity compare to the NRX? Also, I noticed they have a 7'2" rod. I've never owned a rod longer than 7', but does the extra lenght help when fishing jigs? I know it's useful for frog fishing, and since I want an all round rod, I might consider the extra lenght.

Thank you.

zalan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by zalan » Sat May 21, 2016 6:10 am

I also prefer 2 piece rods. I have the MH version of this on order:
http://tailwalk.jp/bass/fullrangecc/
I handled a few of their one piece rods in person, they are impressive. I have high hopes for these, but had not arrived yet, unfortunately.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Sat May 21, 2016 8:46 am

I have not looked in years but at one time Cabela's had 2pc rods in the XML series. I picked up a 2pc 7mh and I am shocked at how nice the rod is. I would say the action is a plain Fast or maybe on the moderate side of fast. Very sensitive, balanced. I bit heavy at 5oz for a 7MH rod but very nice and long cork.

I'm a NRX snob at times but if I needed a 2pc this is where I'd look first.

ClearCreek
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ClearCreek » Sat May 21, 2016 10:56 am

DavidSA wrote:I have not looked in years but at one time Cabela's had 2pc rods in the XML series. I picked up a 2pc 7mh and I am shocked at how nice the rod is. I would say the action is a plain Fast or maybe on the moderate side of fast. Very sensitive, balanced. I bit heavy at 5oz for a 7MH rod but very nice and long cork.

I'm a NRX snob at times but if I needed a 2pc this is where I'd look first.
Unfortunately Cabela's has discontinued the XML line of rods. They still have two piece rods in the Fish Eagle 50 line and Tourney Trail line.

I was able to pick up a 7 ft XML two piece casting rod in med power for just under $60 when they were trying to get rid of them in their Billings, MT store.

ClearCreek

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Sat May 21, 2016 7:14 pm

that is almost shocking. I got mine on sales online for about the same price but did not recognize that meant the end of XML. The tourney trail models I would trust but the 7MHs seem to be Moderate fast action but likely what I have is close to that even though it was marked as fast action.

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Sat May 21, 2016 10:55 pm

Check out the Graphiteleader Bosco. I have a 7' 2 piece and it's sensitive powerful and great for fishing plastic baits. I think mine is a heavy, but fishes like a MH. Rea$onabily priced also. I have the older model split grip in hypalon, New lones are one piece cork.

The model I have
http://www.olympic-co-ltd.jp/enfishing/ ... /GLNBC-70H
The full line
http://www.olympic-co-ltd.jp/enfishing/ ... uovo-Bosco

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat May 21, 2016 11:03 pm

USA-RET wrote:Check out the Graphiteleader Bosco. I have a 7' 2 piece and it's sensitive powerful and great for fishing plastic baits. I think mine is a heavy, but fishes like a MH. Rea$onabily priced also. I have the older model split grip in hypalon, New lones are one piece cork.

The model I have
The full line
Where is the best place to purchase these from? I'd really like to have that 6'9 2 piece model. So hard to find JDM rods with full cork handles! On Ebay they want like 250 bucks!
AND FOR ANYONE INTERESTED - SMOKING DEAL - 6'3 ML model. If I had ANY need for this at all it would be mine NOW -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OLYMPIC-Graphit ... SwFNZWvs60

Cyacnba
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Cyacnba » Sun May 22, 2016 7:31 am

Thanks for all the suggestions! The Nuovo Bosco and the Fullrange CC weight more than what I would like...
I've been digging through old posts, and I read about a few people having their 1-piece rod modified into a 2-piece rod. Does anyone know how much this would cost? I'm considering doing this for either my Tatula 6'10" or NRX 803C rod if it doesn't compromise too much of the rod's quality.

Thanks.

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Mon May 23, 2016 12:48 am

Cyacnba wrote:Thanks for all the suggestions! The Nuovo Bosco and the Fullrange CC weight more than what I would like...
I've been digging through old posts, and I read about a few people having their 1-piece rod modified into a 2-piece rod. Does anyone know how much this would cost? I'm considering doing this for either my Tatula 6'10" or NRX 803C rod if it doesn't compromise too much of the rod's quality.

Thanks.
Drop Mattman and PM. He's converted a couple for me (due to breakage and not by design) :lol: . He does excellent work and you'd never know it wasn't a factory two piece when he's done.

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Mon May 23, 2016 12:54 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
USA-RET wrote:Check out the Graphiteleader Bosco. I have a 7' 2 piece and it's sensitive powerful and great for fishing plastic baits. I think mine is a heavy, but fishes like a MH. Rea$onabily priced also. I have the older model split grip in hypalon, New lones are one piece cork.

The model I have
The full line
Where is the best place to purchase these from? I'd really like to have that 6'9 2 piece model. So hard to find JDM rods with full cork handles! On Ebay they want like 250 bucks!
AND FOR ANYONE INTERESTED - SMOKING DEAL - 6'3 ML model. If I had ANY need for this at all it would be mine NOW -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OLYMPIC-Graphit ... SwFNZWvs60
I think I got mine from Plat. It's been more than a few years. Shipping was very reasonable and came EMS since they meet size requirements. Most JDM tackle stores can order any thing you want, so you could shop around for a better deal. Plat is usually full retail, but he's fast and trustworthy. If something isn't listed on his website sent an email. He has always responded to mine w/ a price. He does include a small handling charge while others do not.

Cyacnba
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Cyacnba » Mon May 23, 2016 2:05 am

USA-RET wrote:
Cyacnba wrote:Thanks for all the suggestions! The Nuovo Bosco and the Fullrange CC weight more than what I would like...

Thanks.
Drop Mattman and PM. He's converted a couple for me (due to breakage and not by design) :lol: . He does excellent work and you'd never know it wasn't a factory two piece when he's done.
Thank you, I just sent him a PM. Hopefully, everything works out.