No.8 Blackout sensitivity

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
NorthernStrain
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

No.8 Blackout sensitivity

Post by NorthernStrain » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:31 am

I'm wondering if anyone here has some info on how sensitive the no.8 blackout rods are. I'm looking at getting the 7' med/fast and it may be used for contact baits at times. I have Omen black rods, is the sensitivity similar to those? If not can anyone recommend a 7' med/fast rod in the $100-$150 range with decent sensitivity. I know it won't be super sensitive, but that's fine.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: No.8 Blackout sensitivity

Post by smalljaw » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:25 pm

At the top of that range I would have to go with the Fenwick Elite Tech Bass and it is based off experience. I've grown to like Fenwick and it is due to the rods having better sensitivity than the price point suggests. There is also a sale at TW on the Okuma C3-40X rods, I'd have one if it wasn't for the green color but if that doesn't bother you that will be your best bet, I used that rod and I was close to getting one for the sensitivity but I found a rod that costs more but didn't have the color but make no mistake, that is a good rod in your price range.

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:01 pm

IROD Genesis or Fiber or 13 Omen Black or Green

wiel0059
Angler
Angler

Post by wiel0059 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:01 am

Yeah in that range I'd go with the Omen Gen 2 personally... With that said, the Blackout is a very good rod for under $100.

MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MediumHeavy » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:59 am

I have that specific blackout rod. It's a great all purpose stick within the weight range it's rated. I was very surprised it was as sensitive as it was. And it's light and well balanced. The first two guides are double footed and the rest are micros, so if you're gonna use a leader is go Omen black 2. Personally, I'd get these over the Omens any day. Just check to make sure the guides are all straight before you buy. I've seen a couple sticks with a guide a bit out of alignment. That said, same goes for the Omens.

NorthernStrain
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by NorthernStrain » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:56 am

Interesting. Would you say the sensitivity is on par with the omen? I just broke my 6'10 med. omen and I'm looking to replace it

MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MediumHeavy » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:14 pm

Never had a Gen 2 Omen but the first series, yeah I'd say so.

I really like the minimal style with slight JDM looks of the Blackout as well.

NorthernStrain
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by NorthernStrain » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:30 pm

Okay so now I'm trying to decide between the 7' med/fast blackout and the 6'9 med/x-fast elite tech smallmouth. Both are about the same price. I'm gonna be throwing mainly weightless or lightweight plastics under 5/16 ounce. Also finesse jigs and maybe a jerkbait occasionally. Thoughts?

ec1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ec1 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:03 am

If you're debating between that 6'9MXF smallmouth rod, Smallie rod all the way I'd say. Where are you finding this rod in stock anyways?

NorthernStrain
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by NorthernStrain » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:30 am

http://ffo-tackle.com/detail.cfm?PassProdId=7487

pretty sweet deal, the minimum lure rating is what is making me wonder though.

ec1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ec1 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:54 pm

Before I broke my 6''9MXF, I was throwing anything between 1/8 and grub for walleye to 1/2 texas rigs no problem at all. I wouldn't go lower, and I'm sure a little more than 1/2 will probably work too. I remember throwing pointers and staysees, but never tried with lighter jerks. A little stiff for jerks smaller than a pointer 78 I'd say.

I know people don't like the handle sometimes but I thought the handle was great. It is metal on the inside of the handle so if you're worried about scratching reels, be sure to stick something over top. I also don't know what reels would match this rod aesthetically, but with a 2500 CI4+, the combo felt great

Now that you've shown me where to get them, I might have to get one again ](*,)

EDIT: Yikes I like the spinning rod but have no clue about the casting. Sorry!
Last edited by ec1 on Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:45 pm

ec1 wrote:Before I broke my 6''9MXF, I was throwing anything between 1/8 and grub for walleye to 1/2 texas rigs no problem at all. I wouldn't go lower, and I'm sure a little more than 1/2 will probably work too. I remember throwing pointers and staysees, but never tried with lighter jerks. A little stiff for jerks smaller than a pointer 78 I'd say.

I know people don't like the handle sometimes but I thought the handle was great. It is metal on the inside of the handle so if you're worried about scratching reels, be sure to stick something over top. I also don't know what reels would match this rod aesthetically, but with a 2500 CI4+, the combo felt great

They are talking about the casting rods, not the spinning. That said, you can throw 1/4oz weights on the 6'9" M-XF casting rod pretty easily if you can use a casting reel decently. What I mean by that is if you can cast without the rod being loaded up fully without backlashing you'll be fine and throwing weightless plastics and finesse jigs is in that rods wheelhouse. It differs from the spinning rod of the same power and action because it isn't as soft in the tip but has about the same power so it doesn't load as easily but if you can cast decently enough you should have no problem throwing 1/4oz on it, I can throw a 3" Senko rigged on a 1/16oz head with it pretty good.

NorthernStrain
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by NorthernStrain » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:33 am

smalljaw wrote:
ec1 wrote:Before I broke my 6''9MXF, I was throwing anything between 1/8 and grub for walleye to 1/2 texas rigs no problem at all. I wouldn't go lower, and I'm sure a little more than 1/2 will probably work too. I remember throwing pointers and staysees, but never tried with lighter jerks. A little stiff for jerks smaller than a pointer 78 I'd say.

They are talking about the casting rods, not the spinning. That said, you can throw 1/4oz weights on the 6'9" M-XF casting rod pretty easily if you can use a casting reel decently. What I mean by that is if you can cast without the rod being loaded up fully without backlashing you'll be fine and throwing weightless plastics and finesse jigs is in that rods wheelhouse. It differs from the spinning rod of the same power and action because it isn't as soft in the tip but has about the same power so it doesn't load as easily but if you can cast decently enough you should have no problem throwing 1/4oz on it, I can throw a 3" Senko rigged on a 1/16oz head with it pretty good.

Finally someone who owns one haha. I would be throwing 3/16 shakey heads, 3/16-5/16 finesse jigs, 1/4 and under t-rigs, and weightless flukes and senkos. I'm a pretty good caster with casting reels so I know that won't be a problem. I just want to know I won't have to fight the rod at all when casting. I'll probably pair it with a curado 70