Best dropshot rig...in the world?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Best dropshot rig...in the world?

Post by Pen3 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:04 am

I have a Light and ML setup for drop shot. The light is a Mach M-1 with Vanquish Limited c2500hgs and 5lb shooter flouro. My ML is Spin Cobra with Exist 2508 and 7lb sniper flouro.

Frosty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Frosty » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:42 pm

Dropshot specific rod for me NRX 842. All around finesse rod 852 hands down-it's so sensitive it's almost disturbing :mrgreen:

IAY
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by IAY » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:44 am

Pen3 wrote:I have a Light and ML setup for drop shot. The light is a Mach M-1 with Vanquish Limited c2500hgs and 5lb shooter flouro. My ML is Spin Cobra with Exist 2508 and 7lb sniper flouro.
I also enjoy light solid tip short rod for drop shotting. The action you can make on the worm is really 2nd to none. I have Kirisame F1-62XKS though.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:17 am

njbasscat wrote:The best I've used so far is NRX 822DSR with a Certate 2500 and 6 lb Tatsu. I throw light drop shots, mostly 1/16 oz weight and 4" Alive Shad or Crosstail Shad and this combo handles them perfectly. I sometimes cut the weight in half if there is no wind and I'm fishing over rock and have no problems feeling the bait and bottom. I have an 852C and that is way to much rod for the weights I throw.
X2 on the 822DSR, mine is paired with a Vanquish 2500hgs. Perfect balance, action, power, and sensitivity.

21farms
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 21farms » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:06 am

joeyblackwood wrote:NRX852 spin sucks for drop shotting. Just used it today for that very technique just to remind myself how truly awful it is at it.
i don't like the NRX 852S for dropshotting either. i mean, it works okay but the NRX 822S is much better at it.

Evobassfish
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Evobassfish » Sun May 01, 2016 1:44 am

Does anyone know if the Dobyns EX HP 742SF has a more or less forgiving tip than the NRX 852S? I've narrowed it down to the Dobyns EX HP but would just like to know before i pull the trigger. I also see that Dobyns also offer a 1 power(741SF) that might be an option if the 2 power is too stiff at the tip?

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Sun May 01, 2016 5:07 am

orochi X4 F3-610X4S would be my vote

basskeeter1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by basskeeter1 » Sun May 01, 2016 10:21 am

My rig consist of a Dobyns DX 742C paired with a curado 51e. Soft sensitive fast tip action but still has a stern backbone to turn fish around. I hear those new Dobyns HP's are pretty nice. Provide a feed back if you pull the trigger on one. Tight lines.

egore1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by egore1 » Tue May 03, 2016 6:23 am

The "best" is really subjective. But I will weigh in on my favorites.
When I finesse fish ultra clear reservoirs (open water) the NRX822DSR gets some 5-7# FL on a 2500 series reel. I love the sensitivity of that rod in 10-40ft range of water, the rod is deceptively powerful. I have a NRX852S with identical reel and run 8# FL on that rig. When the bite is on I have rigged it with an identical setup and had less success with it. The fish turn off due to the heavier line and I am less apt to feel the little tick tick when using the heavier powered rod. When I try braid with a leader they seem to be spooked as well. Put that rig on 12# FL with a bait cast setup and I won't get a sniff. Sometimes the fish are just finicky.

When I fish weedy lakes then I use the same rotation of rods for finesse applications but change the lines out for braid to get a little more pop during hook set. Fish seem less finicky to me in the weeds and I will up the line weight to accomodate larger hooks and weights so I might use my bait casting rigs.

So I guess the best dropshot rig depends on the application. Are you nose hooking w mosquito hooks or dangling a brush hog within a mat of vegetation? Quite a range for one rig to cover. When the fish are whacking a finesse rig and nothing else is working then its quite nice to have a specific rig for it.

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Wed May 04, 2016 4:01 am

IAY wrote: I also enjoy light solid tip short rod for drop shotting. The action you can make on the worm is really 2nd to none. I have Kirisame F1-62XKS though.
I know what you mean. I was hesitant because we grew up using UL-L panfish/trout rods and they were all flimsy with zero backbone. These UL-L bass rods are a different beast and you know they are intended for bass once you give them a chance. My first UL bass spinning rod was a Jackall Poison Inch Wacky S 65 UL back in '10(can't really remember) and it just shed a whole new light. Then came solid tip rods and another game changer for me.

spoonplugger1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by spoonplugger1 » Thu May 05, 2016 2:18 pm

I've enjoyed fishing my custom Lamiglas LSJ901 built on micro guides down to 2mm for many years now.

drjjl
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by drjjl » Wed May 25, 2016 10:29 pm

Edge Black Widow DSR6101 is a great finesse rod for dropshotting, and just a great finesse rod all around that still has plenty of backbone to bring in those bigger smallies! I have an NRX 852s and don't like it for dropshotting either..

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu May 26, 2016 3:40 am

I would have to say that the cork shimano drop short rods both spinning and casting are great
and i would use them in the great lakes as much as i use them in Fla. They were a very good
product that shimano slept on. Are they as sensitive as an NRX, ive not fish with an d/s NRX
rod but they are really awesome sticks in the sensitivity dept.

oops
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by oops » Thu May 26, 2016 6:47 am

After years of talking myself out of buying an NRX spinning rod since I don't enjoy fishing spinning gear, I impulse bought an 822 SYR on the classifieds and I gotta say it is a crazy rod. When dropshotting, it is shockingly easy to distinguish what kind of structure your weight is dragging over/through. You can feel the weight scrape across rocks, bump over brush and drag through grass. I wanted to like the rod and enjoy fishing it but honestly expected to feel like I wasted my money but in the short time I've had to play with it I'm honestly very happy.

The first time I fished an 893 with a trig I was absolutely shocked at the sensitivity as I dragged the bait along the bottom and fishing the 822 SYR feels like a magnified version of that since I'd never owned a spinning rod that really let me properly feel anything beyond "somewhere on the bottom" and "maybe you have a bite, maybe you're stuck in a tree, may as well swing and find out". If the SYR feels this good, I can only assume the DSR is even better. Really can't imagine it being much better but it's got to be a hell of a rod.

cure-hb
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by cure-hb » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:28 am

I tried different dropshot rods in these years, heard so much about a NRX dsr, but the price is just way too high for me, I own a ML steez and Megabass dsr, I felt the MB has a softer tip, and the price is right.