Spinning rod conundrum!

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
DWG1984
Angler
Angler

Spinning rod conundrum!

Post by DWG1984 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:31 pm

Alright fellas, I need a little help here. During a tournament yesterday my partner stepped on a couple of my rods and broke them :evil: I chalked it up to stuff happens. Unfortunately, I'm down two Dobyns rods. I'm going to use the hassle free option on the Champion 684C, I love that rod. On the other hand I'm not sure if its worth it to replace the Savvy 703SF.

Are there other rods in the 100-150 range that you guys think are better options(more sensitive, lighter, better balanced..ect)?
The savvy is fine, but I would rather put the 80$ it would cost to replace it on something with more value. I'll be mainly using the rod for shakey heads and light t-rigs.

Thanks for the help in advance

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Spinning rod conundrum!

Post by adam lancia » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:00 pm

Why don't you look for a Tatula or Zodias? They're both supposed to be light, powerful and sensitive; perfect for what you're looking to do with it.

cortman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cortman » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:42 pm

My favorite spinning rod by far is a Powell Max 3D. Very sensitive, excellent balance, and the fit and finish is great. I got mine for $100 during TW's 25 days sale.

big_gee
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by big_gee » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:01 am

I agree with Adam the Tatula is a good rod but I am switching my stuff over to the Cronos. The 7'3"M would be perfect for your needs. I use it for the same techniques and I'm liking it more then my Tats. They are very light and more sensitive then I thought the were going to be.

Unfortunately stuff does happen. Sorry to hear.

DWG1984
Angler
Angler

Post by DWG1984 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:21 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'm going to go with the cronos. Based, on everything I've been hearing its the real deal.

big_gee
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by big_gee » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:38 am

You won't go wrong. I just ordered two more.

I'm extremely happy with them.

Abu Daimano
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Abu Daimano » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:47 pm

Chronos or Zodias seem to be the way to go at that price point. Haven't heard a ton about the Chronos, but the Zodias series seem to be winners

BigAl23
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by BigAl23 » Sat May 07, 2016 8:54 pm

How about St Croix Avid, Premier or even the Eyecon? I recently bought an Eyecon for bass fishing even though it is a "walleye" rod. St Croix rep told me it's the same blank as a Premier, just with a full cork handle.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:29 am

big_gee wrote:I agree with Adam the Tatula is a good rod but I am switching my stuff over to the Cronos. The 7'3"M would be perfect for your needs. I use it for the same techniques and I'm liking it more then my Tats. They are very light and more sensitive then I thought the were going to be.

Unfortunately stuff does happen. Sorry to hear.
Do you find the 7'3"M to be too stiff for shakey heads? Most of my shakey heads are 1/4 oz or lighter so I'd be worried about the tip being too stiff and potentially bending out the lighter wire hooks I tend to use.

fishingcreekoutdoors
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishingcreekoutdoors » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:14 pm

zodias or crucial all day

egore1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by egore1 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:12 pm

One of the most versatile spinning rods I've fished with is St Croix's 68mxf blank. I own an Avid level model and it can cover many applications very nicely. Tubes, Senko, Shaky Head, basically anything except dropshot works well with this rod. I have moved to more specific rods for applications via NRX and other rods but they are way out of your listed price range. I give a nod to this rod for sure, lotsa versatility and its well built.