Ease my worries on the nrx dsr...

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Ease my worries on the nrx dsr...

Post by KP Duty » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:07 am

I wanted to order two nrx spinning rods, and decided on the 852 and 822dsr. I know I'll love the 852, but I'm worried about the dsr. I'm not really a drop shotter...and I generally hate soft tips on single hook rods. I ordered it to force myself to do it more, but I'm a nervous wreck about this thing being a whip. So either reassure me, or recommend me to change it...the dsr is on backorder until may 15th. The fact it is back ordered comforts me with its apparent high demand.

Jdmbassman
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Ease my worries on the nrx dsr...

Post by Jdmbassman » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:13 pm

Best drop shot rod there is but if you are looking for ultimate spinning versatility then the SYR is the way to go. Great rod for smaller crankbaits, jerkbaits, topwaters, shakey heads (designed for), wacky rigged senkos

oops
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by oops » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:09 pm

The only reviews I've heard about the NRX drop shot rod are "it's the best drop shot rod I've ever fished" and "it's the best drop shot rod ever made" so if you want to pick up a drop shot rod, I think you can pick up the NRX with confidence. I have thought about buying the rod many times for the same reason but have decided against it because at this point I sort of just feel like by the time the bite is tough enough that I should be drop shotting, I just go home lol

Hennessy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hennessy » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:34 pm

oops wrote:The only reviews I've heard about the NRX drop shot rod are "it's the best drop shot rod I've ever fished" and "it's the best drop shot rod ever made" so if you want to pick up a drop shot rod, I think you can pick up the NRX with confidence. I have thought about buying the rod many times for the same reason but have decided against it because at this point I sort of just feel like by the time the bite is tough enough that I should be drop shotting, I just go home lol
THIS! I hate fairy wands. I NEVER drop shot, but the times I have I used my nrx 852c wit a '15 aldebaran. Smallest weight I've used is 3/16oz. This combo is a great option for someone that seldom drop shots but if needed, will do a excellent job

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:33 pm

If you rarely drop shot and want a rod that is more versatile and can still be used to drop shot if need be, take a look at the NRX 842 S SJR. Another good option would be the Megabass F3-610XS Aaron Martens Limited.

DChiWildcats
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DChiWildcats » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:27 am

I have fenced with the idea of getting the 822 as well and I drop shot a ton. I have 2 of the 852 and I absolutely love it for drop shotting. I love that rod so much that I will be getting a third as I use them for all my finesse techniques be it drop shotting, split shotting, shaky head, wacky rig, you name it. I have used as light as 5 lb test at Havasu and had no problem hooking and landing fish up to 7 pounds and gone as heavy as 10 lb on the Delta, once again having no problem hooking and landing fish up to 7 pounds. I know I have heard guys say that the 852 is a little too much rod for drop shotting but with how I fish, I would much rather have too much rod than have the 822 pitching my drop shot around tules and getting my butt kicked by a big fish. 852s is an awesome drop shot rod. Just my .02.

Okiekev
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Okiekev » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:13 am

I have also used my DSR for small shakey heads and I like the light action, I can cast an eighth a mile! With light braid it is crazy sensitive. Many will say it is to light for that application and I guess they may be correct if you throw heavier jigs, but I like it a lot. In fact I fished shakey heads with it side by side with the SYR this past week and actually preferred the DSR for the light stuff. Again, I am probably in the minority , but it is a great light spinning Rod!

Bubbleboy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Bubbleboy » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:37 am

Jdmbassman wrote:Best drop shot rod there is but if you are looking for ultimate spinning versatility then the SYR is the way to go. Great rod for smaller crankbaits, jerkbaits, topwaters, shakey heads (designed for), wacky rigged senkos
I have to agree with this statement. It was advised to me to go with the SYR over the DSR as it had a little more backbone. This won't be popular, but I'm not a fan of the 852s, not enough flex to it....sorry guys. The SYR was the comprimise, and I couldn't be happier.

Good luck!

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:00 pm

Bubbleboy wrote:
Jdmbassman wrote:Best drop shot rod there is but if you are looking for ultimate spinning versatility then the SYR is the way to go. Great rod for smaller crankbaits, jerkbaits, topwaters, shakey heads (designed for), wacky rigged senkos
I have to agree with this statement. It was advised to me to go with the SYR over the DSR as it had a little more backbone. This won't be popular, but I'm not a fan of the 852s, not enough flex to it....sorry guys. The SYR was the comprimise, and I couldn't be happier.

Good luck!
NRX852S FTW..hehe..i owned the 822 and it don't have enough balls for me. Havent tried the SYR but i got my eye on a 872S for deep water fun.

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KP Duty » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:38 pm

Hmm...I'm really learning toward changing my order. I did get the 852 in today, and it is definitely sweet. I'll spend the night with the 852 and we'll talk it over.
[url=http://s62Image

21farms
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 21farms » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:26 pm

the 822S DSR was my first NRX spinning rod and the 852S JWR was my second. IMHO, there is definitely a time and place for both. when i go to lakes, the 822 DSR is the best dropshot rod i could hope for (and i've tried a lot) and has surprisingly good power below the tip. now, when i fish the california delta, i use the 852 just in case a donkey runs off with my dropshot but it does not have that special "dropshot feel" the 822S has (hard to describe). i have since added the 822S SYR, the 823S SYR and the 872S JWR and think that they'll all have their places as well :mrgreen: