New St Croix Legend Elite

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
bassm1n
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: New St Croix Legend Elite

Post by bassm1n » Tue May 03, 2016 1:07 pm

How is the balanc3 on these rods? Where do 5hey balance with a reel mounted? Especially the 7'4H if someone has it.

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:02 pm

How does the new Legend Elite Blank compare to the old with the new being a SCVI and SCV graphite blend and the old being SCV graphite with NSI resin?

barrys
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by barrys » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:50 am

I have the 7'4" Hvy and it think it balances better Than my 894 NRX. Does the NRX edge out the St. Croix in sensitivity ? Maybe a little but not so much that its gonna cost you a fish cause you couldn't detect a most subtle bite or tap. So that being said I use the St Croix for Hvy T-rigs and Jigs instead of the NRX. And I Use the NRX as a FROG rod. I know it's a $500+ frog Rod But hey I might switch it back I like both rods and I never leave anything alone very long anyway.......

barrys
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by barrys » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:51 am

Oh yea got both rods from Gary ............... Tackle trap !! Its the only way to go

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:34 am

barrys wrote:Oh yea got both rods from Gary ............... Tackle trap !! Its the only way to go
Nice, post some pics and your thoughts when you get the package.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:39 am

measure the weight and balance of the LE and 894. should be simple to get hard data. The power of the LE is quite a bit more is it not, at least in rating?

barrys
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by barrys » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:31 am

The 894 is just a tad more moderate and a little,,,,,,I said a little less power than the St Croix in my hands anyway. Either rods are great for 10" worms and Big jigs up to 3/4 and occasionally 1oz. Can't go wrong with either really the NRX is just slightly more sensitive in my hands I just found it to be a great Frog rod for me over the Croix. Using an MGL with 16lb Shooter or Gamma.

barrys
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by barrys » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:31 am

The 894 is just a tad more moderate and a little,,,,,,I said a little less power than the St Croix in my hands anyway. Either rods are great for 10" worms and Big jigs up to 3/4 and occasionally 1oz. Can't go wrong with either really the NRX is just slightly more sensitive in my hands I just found it to be a great Frog rod for me over the Croix. Using an MGL with 16lb Shooter or Gamma.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:47 am

barrys wrote:The 894 is just a tad more moderate and a little,,,,,,I said a little less power than the St Croix in my hands anyway. Either rods are great for 10" worms and Big jigs up to 3/4 and occasionally 1oz. Can't go wrong with either really the NRX is just slightly more sensitive in my hands I just found it to be a great Frog rod for me over the Croix. Using an MGL with 16lb Shooter or Gamma.

I have both and I have to agree that the Croix balances far better than the 894nrx. I put a daiwa Z reel on it and 20 floro for jigs and it is every thing I have been looking for in a jig setup

dv1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by dv1 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:22 am

Are we sure the new models are not just upgraded components? The previous legend elites also has scv and scvi graphite used in the blanks. Maybe they added another of their acronym tech stuff to the blanks, but graphite is the same.

I am thinking about the 7-4 hf for a big jig rod (3/4-1oz) and other big plastics. I want to try fishing some bigger stuff deeper and see if I can start catching some larger bass. Also might try some crossover baits at will appeal to big bass and the occasional musky/pike.

Canga-
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Canga- » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:19 am

dv1 wrote:Are we sure the new models are not just upgraded components? The previous legend elites also has scv and scvi graphite used in the blanks. Maybe they added another of their acronym tech stuff to the blanks, but graphite is the same.

I am thinking about the 7-4 hf for a big jig rod (3/4-1oz) and other big plastics. I want to try fishing some bigger stuff deeper and see if I can start catching some larger bass. Also might try some crossover baits at will appeal to big bass and the occasional musky/pike.
im fairly certain they are the same graphite, like you said, just with TET (how much or if that makes a difference, i have no idea!) what i do know, is that i have 2 of the 2016 LE spinning rods, a 6' ml/f and a 6'10" ml/xf. i have owned many st croixs over the years, and never really liked any of them, but when these LE's came out i figured i would upgrade one of my LTBs and very glad i did.

been using the 6'10" ml/xf alot this summer for jig/plastics (mainly 1/8th with a trd worm or 3" senko...guess thats a "ned rig") and its been great, very sensitive, and with a 2505 ignis type-r, it balances right where my index finger hits the foregrip.

darrin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by darrin » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:26 am

I was just wondering, but when Cal did his review on the EC70MF, the ratings were listed as 3/16 - 5/8, 6-12lb. I can even see the "6-12" on the rod in one of the pics. But on the web page, the EC70MF is 1/4 - 5/8, 10-17lb. Is Cal's version still to come or was it a rod that got mislabeled/discontinued? Jsut curious. Rods do look nice though.

HdnRibs
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by HdnRibs » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:26 am

I just looked at my EC70MF and it is rated 1/4-5/8 10-17. I bought that rod after reading the review, so it is, hopefully, the current model. Hey, the monkey made me do it. Great review and on sale at TW, how could I say no?

However, after looking at the picture at the top of the review, it sure looks like that is a ES70MF. :-k 3/16-5/8 6-12 match the spinning rods specs. So, was the review done on a spinning blank made into a casting rod? :lol: :oops: