Frog rod for punch/flip or flip rod for froggin?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
bbtt123
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Frog rod for punch/flip or flip rod for froggin?

Post by bbtt123 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:02 am

Final piece of this years non-boater setup for myself is a rod for the thick stuff. Now I know there will be a bunch of people saying "get a frog rod for frogs and a flippin rod for punch/flippin, that's why they make them", well I have limited space being a non-boater and I am not one to bring a bunch of crap onto someones boat. I'm pulling double duty across the board this year, so far here is what I have:

MH/F Casting 15lb flouro- Jigs, non heavy cover items, toads to an extent
M/F Casting: 8 or 10lb mono- crank baits, some topwater depending on the situation
M/F Spinning: (not sure on line choice this year)- Skipping docks, some light plastics, heavier shaky head
ML/F Spinning (7'6"): light braid (10 or under) w/ Fluorocarbon leader- New this year, DS specific but also light shaky

So that leaves me with my beef stick purchase. I set up my rods this year based more on who I'm going to be fishing with and what the normal techniques are in this area. All of my reels are tatula's which I love. For the most part I'm only looking for a slop rod because I'm tired of retying that MH rod all the time and in the middle of last year I added a 7'6" telescopic heavy rod and loved not having to retie depending on where we were.

I've been down to two rods lately, the Tatula and the Zillion, just not sure which rod to pick up (both stuck on flippin vs frog as well as tatula vs zillion)

I can get the tatula for $115 shipped, the zillions I can get around $165 shipped. $50 difference isn't huge but it would also go a long way to getting new punch baits/weights as well.

Questions:

Tatula at $115 vs Zillion $165
Frog vs Flippin if they are going to be dual purpose.

Thank you

big_gee
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Frog rod for punch/flip or flip rod for froggin?

Post by big_gee » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:52 am

I have both those rods and really love them. I just got the Cronos and really like it. I have two of the Zillion flippin rods and one of the Tatulas. The Cronos is actually lighter then the Zillion and is a sharp looking rod. I will be out this weekend and I will be mainly flippin with it. Because it is lighter then the Zillion I think throwing frogs on it will be possible. I think the Zillion weight will and can wear you out. I'm not one to worry about weights of rods and reels but for frogging with it might be a little too much.

bbtt123
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bbtt123 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:03 am

big_gee wrote:I have both those rods and really love them. I just got the Cronos and really like it. I have two of the Zillion flippin rods and one of the Tatulas. The Cronos is actually lighter then the Zillion and is a sharp looking rod. I will be out this weekend and I will be mainly flippin with it. Because it is lighter then the Zillion I think throwing frogs on it will be possible. I think the Zillion weight will and can wear you out. I'm not one to worry about weights of rods and reels but for frogging with it might be a little too much.
Yeah I'm usually a guy who does the complete opposite as much as I can during club tourneys from who I'm riding with. For this reason I throw a lot of drop shot and shaky heads because I do not find many I get paired with that do it consistently. I know this year we have more guys joining and during my conversations with them they are more jig/punch and slop fisherman so I know I need to be able to set up accordingly and have the right stuff at hand when needed. Weight is a concern to a point, I'm a 6'7" big guy with giant hands and the ultra light weights of some of these rods just throw me off my game sometimes, be it me being afraid to set hook or just having trouble "feeling" in my hands.

21farms
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 21farms » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:22 am

i own or have owned the tatula flipping stick, the zillion frog rod and the zillion flipping stick. unfortunately, i never fished the zillion frog rod and i still haven't even removed the wrapper from my zillion flipping stick. i actually had two of the tatula flipping sitcks and loved them but, to me, they're more of a long, multi-purpose rod than a true flipping stick. both the zillion frog rod and flipping stick are beefier but still lightweight (4.4 and 4.5 ounces, respectively, compared to 4.3 ounces for the tatula FS). i would be much more inclined to use the frog rod for flipping than vice versa if for no other reason than because it is 2 inches shorter and it'd be less likely to slap the water with the rod tip while working the frog.

bbtt123
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bbtt123 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:05 am

21farms wrote:i own or have owned the tatula flipping stick, the zillion frog rod and the zillion flipping stick. unfortunately, i never fished the zillion frog rod and i still haven't even removed the wrapper from my zillion flipping stick. i actually had two of the tatula flipping sitcks and loved them but, to me, they're more of a long, multi-purpose rod than a true flipping stick. both the zillion frog rod and flipping stick are beefier but still lightweight (4.4 and 4.5 ounces, respectively, compared to 4.3 ounces for the tatula FS). i would be much more inclined to use the frog rod for flipping than vice versa if for no other reason than because it is 2 inches shorter and it'd be less likely to slap the water with the rod tip while working the frog.
Thanks for the input, being I'm tall, most 7'6" rods do not bother me for working a bait, so I'm kinda down to which style multipurposes more I guess.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:37 am

Look into the Powell and Dobyns 795 flipping sticks. I have not tried frogging with my Powell 795 but it is the first rod I will go to if I need a stout rod. Plenty of muscle but soft tip. I can pitch weights down to 1/4oz yet 2oz swimbait is a breeze just the same.

bbtt123
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bbtt123 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:24 am

DavidSA wrote:Look into the Powell and Dobyns 795 flipping sticks. I have not tried frogging with my Powell 795 but it is the first rod I will go to if I need a stout rod. Plenty of muscle but soft tip. I can pitch weights down to 1/4oz yet 2oz swimbait is a breeze just the same.
I'm a bit leery of 7'9" length as I'm a non-boater and my rods see alot of travel in and out of my car both at tourneys as well as coming home and putting things away till the next tourney. I'll consider it though.

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:50 pm

Here is he newest Frog Rod addition to be added to the Zillion Line this year...its an XH version of the 7-4" Heavy version.

Worth your consideration.
Shop around...can be had for less.

http://www.tackledirect.com/daiwa-zil74 ... g-rod.html

Crankbaitmaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Crankbaitmaker » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:04 am

If I had to choose a rod for what you want it would be the Rushburn. I have watched so many Youtube clips of that rod being used for flipping, frogging, swimbaits, and even punching. They even pick up 8lb bass and boat flop them. It is the real deal. You don't need 7'10 rods to punch or flip. Jackall/Shimano just came out with the Glorious 7'6" heavy cover rod. I got money that says it will work for what you need too. However, you don't have to spend that kind of money for a rod that will take care of your needs. Just look at what Andy Morgan does with his IROD light flipping stick. He gets plenty of big fish out of the stuff with that rod. IROD also has a Bub Tosh 7'6" flipping stick. It has to be tough. The way Bub lays on a fish is not kind. There is a video on Youtube of him using that stick. A 1/2 to 2 oz heavy rated rod should get you there. But if you are looking to use these techniques for most of the day I would seek out a light rod. If you are planning to do that, weight matters. These techniques can really wear on your wrist, forearms, and shoulders. 5 ozs or less would be my suggestion. Hope you find what you need.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqRGRou ... A82DFD8109

Crankbaitmaker

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:01 am

Find a deal on a DX 746 and never look back

cortman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cortman » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:12 am

I have a MH F Zillion jig rod paired with a Daiwa T3 MX. I second others' opinions that the Zillion is a bit on the heavy side. It's a great rod, but it hasn't blown me away yet. I like it quite a bit and it has great sensitivity, solid build, and killer looks.
I'm curious where you can get a Zillion for $165?

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:19 am

2014 intro 2nd gen Zillions are much lighter and more sensitive.

21farms
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 21farms » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:20 pm

cortman wrote:I'm curious where you can get a Zillion for $165?
me too!

bbtt123
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bbtt123 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:52 pm

21farms wrote:
cortman wrote:I'm curious where you can get a Zillion for $165?
me too!
If you keep an eye out and search and wait they can be had. I'm not saying they are easily obtained, but they are out there.

Jdmbassman
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jdmbassman » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:42 am

Take a look at the TackleTour review of the Daiwa STZ741XHFBA-XBD. It seems a good choice for what you have in mind