Megabass telescopic rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
bigturtle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Megabass telescopic rod

Post by bigturtle » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:02 am

I was looking at the new lineup of destroyers, and this rod caught my attention:

http://jpangler.com/index.php/rod/megab ... -711x.html

Its a 7'11", F7 flipping stick(swimbait?), but it says that its telescopic. I have never seen a telescopic Megabass rod before, and am wondering how they feel compare to a single or 2 piece ones. I would imagine telescopic rods weight more, and are more unblanaced/tip heavy, but I dont know for sure. Pretty interested in that particular rod.

Anyone here has experience with higher end telescopic rods and can offer some insight?

Crankbaitmaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Megabass telescopic rod

Post by Crankbaitmaker » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:58 pm

I have been using a 7'6" telescopic Kistler flipping stick for over 8 yrs. I don't find it unballanced or less sensitive compared to a 1 piece blank. At 4.7 oz. it is lighter than a lot of long rods on the market. I don't miss many fish with it. I have seen and held the 711. The feel of this rod is excellent IMO. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Crankbaitmaker
Last edited by Crankbaitmaker on Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dinosorcerer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by dinosorcerer » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:53 am

My brother just got this rod, it is only collapsible at one section, near the handle. Seems its for storage because it only shortens like a foot. The feel of it still feels nice though.

Abu Daimano
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Abu Daimano » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:59 am

bigturtle wrote:I was looking at the new lineup of destroyers, and this rod caught my attention:

http://jpangler.com/index.php/rod/megab ... -711x.html

Its a 7'11", F7 flipping stick(swimbait?), but it says that its telescopic. I have never seen a telescopic Megabass rod before, and am wondering how they feel compare to a single or 2 piece ones. I would imagine telescopic rods weight more, and are more unblanaced/tip heavy, but I dont know for sure. Pretty interested in that particular rod.

Anyone here has experience with higher end telescopic rods and can offer some insight?
I have the X4 Seven Eleven which is a telescopic MB Rod. once its extended snugly it is the same deal as a blank/handle two piece rod - you can't tell any difference. The 711 is pretty lightweight for a rod of that size, but probably because it is a "lighter" flipping stick (TT did a review on it) and it does have a really slender handle making it more tip heavy, but I don't know that the one you are looking at would be similar in that way.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:42 pm

I've fished a bunch of telescopic rods by Megabass. They do an excellent job with the overall design and feel of their telescopic rods. The Phase III Seven Eleven for example, is one rod where when extended, you wouldn't know the difference. The same goes for the X4 version, and even the Black Jungle Punch Swimbait rod. I'm sure the new Destroyer 7'11" version will be the same quality and feel. Telescopic rods have come a long way from some of the old clunky heavy flipping sticks from years ago, or at least Megabass has moved forward with them!

New 2016 Destroyer Rods:
http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_pa ... _1893_1894