Expride reviews/opinions

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Expride reviews/opinions

Post by lifeofRiley » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:12 am

I've got a chance to buy either a 7 2 mh or 7 3 xh expride for $190. Just wondering what you guys think of this deal and if you own one of the rods what you think of it and what techniques it is best for. Also curious as to how stiff they are. Listed as mod fast, but have done research and everyone says jdm actions are different than u.s. but never elaborates beyond that.
(I personally like a heavier power rod with a slower action)

Lafayette
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Expride reviews/opinions

Post by Lafayette » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:55 pm

The Poison Adrena is the superior range of the Expride (it seems they share the same graphite construction), the Poison Adrena 172 h model I have tried is also supposed to be a mod fast action, but I can tell you it is a true fast and crisp action according european or american standards (it is also an incredibly light / strong / sensitive rod).

The Expride 173 xh is for heavy fishing in the cover : flipping / pitching. The mh for jigs / jerkbaits / spinnerbaits / ....
Last edited by Lafayette on Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:14 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Jdmbiggie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jdmbiggie » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:35 pm

good review

Lafayette
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Lafayette » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:49 pm

From a french source :

"EXPRIDE 173XH CASTING
Extrêmement légère pour une canne XH, cette Expride bénéficie d’une réserve de puissance hors norme ce qui, couplé à sa longueur 7’3 (2.21m), donne l’amplitude et l’action nécessaire au ferrage des plus gros spécimens. Ces attributs font de la 173XH une excellente canne pour la pêche du brochet en traction dans les grands lacs avec des «Shads» à palette et des gros leurres souples. Elle conviendra aussi parfaitement à la recherche du Black Bass en «Flipping/Pitching» dans le «heavy cover». Avec une plage de lancer indiquée de 14-56g légèrement sous-évaluée, ce modèle dispose d’une construction 1+1 (talon+blank) pour faciliter le transport. Et comme toutes les Expride, elle est équipée du système d’anneaux semi-micro Fuji K-type, du porte-moulinet en CI4 et du blank Hi Power X."

EXPRIDE 173XH CASTING
Extremely light for a XH rod, this Expride benefits from an exceptional power reserve what, coupled with its length 7 ' 3 (2.21m), give the amplitude and the action necessary to hookset the biggest specimens. These attributes make of the 173XH an excellent rod for pike fishing in the big lakes with swimbaits with blades and big softbaits. It will suit also perfectly in search of Black Bass in "Flipping / Pitching" in heavy cover . With a casting range indicated as 14-56g slightly underestimated, this model has an offset construction 1+1 ( talon+blank ) to facilitate the transport. And as all Expride, it is equipped with semi-micro Fuji K-type, CI4 REEL SEAT and X Hi graphite blank.

ps / Sorry for the approximative translation, english is not my mother tongue.

h20man
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by h20man » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:00 am

I don't have much experience at all with the Expride but I did actually get one today in the mail. I won a brand new 7'2H on Ebay for around $160. Rod is very light and the reel seat is fantastic. TW calls it a Med-Fast. Seems like a normal fast action to me but like I said I just got it today.

Crankbaitmaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Crankbaitmaker » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:52 pm

I got to compare the Adrena and Expride rods a couple of weeks ago. I didn't get to fish them, but I did get them in my hands for inspection. In short, none of these rods are extremely light. My original Kistler LTAs and Helium IIs are much lighter. I guess it is all of this new layering of graphite that causes the weight. Personally, I liked the Expride over the Adrena as far as feel and weight. Both rods had excellent fit and finish. I do think the cork handle of the Expride looks better. The Expride looked better overall to me. I am sure that they are both excellent rods. However, Cal did make an excellent point about the fact that we pay $100 more for the Expride in the US than they do in Japan.

Crankbaitmaker

Mothercanucker
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Mothercanucker » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:32 pm

The fact that the Expride is marked up an extra 100$ here compared to Japan, can anyone even justify the extra money for a new Adrena?

Lafayette
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Lafayette » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:16 pm

The Expride has fuji sic inserts guides with stainless frames , the Adrena has fuji sic with titanium frames.
The Adrena has also the exclusive and futurist carbon monocoque butt which is suppose to add sonority to the rod, the Expride has a classic cork split grip. It explains the price difference.

As already said I tried a 172h adrena poison and it is a very beautiful/powerful and extremely light rod (4.23 oz for a 7.2 Heavy action rod) with exclusive/premium features .
Is it worth 400 dollars?
Premium rods come with premium prices and I suppose 400 dollars can be considered as a standard price for a premium rod which represents the current top of technological achievement of Shimano.

MTBF
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MTBF » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:45 pm

I really like the Expride's myself. Started with the 7'1H Fast and use it for spinnerbaits mostly. Has a crisp tip but bends nice a deep witch I love. Bought the 7'3XH that your asking about and it is a hair stiffer and bands a hair deeper. It's definitely a fun rod to fish with. My big thing I liked about these rods was the band on accuracy I had, hitting the perfect spot in the pads, just has super power. Got short lined at the boat on swim jig's a few times and the elasticity and deep bend on these rods still allows fish to take baits. Third one I bought was the 7'3 Cranking model.

For 2-300 It's hard for me to go elsewhere than a Shimano Expride. I live the guide train, the smooth finish on the reel seat, it's shape and split grip everything works for me on these rods.

I posted a go pro video here in the fall shows the 7'1H loading up lot's. The 7'3XH is it's bigger brother and to me anyway only feels a big stiffer and bends deeper.

Hope this helps. Wonderful rods and 0 issues so far. Going on year 2 for 2 of my sticks.

MTBF

phatbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by phatbass » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:26 am

Mothercanucker wrote:The fact that the Expride is marked up an extra 100$ here compared to Japan, can anyone even justify the extra money for a new Adrena?
I don't know of any new model adrena,but I use the 6'10mh and 7'6xh and both are light balanced and sensitive with great components,so for me there worth it.

Fishydish
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Fishydish » Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:29 am

phatbass wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:26 am
Mothercanucker wrote:The fact that the Expride is marked up an extra 100$ here compared to Japan, can anyone even justify the extra money for a new Adrena?
I don't know of any new model adrena,but I use the 6'10mh and 7'6xh and both are light balanced and sensitive with great components,so for me there worth it.
It’s a long shot, but where does your 7’6xh balance? With what reel? Thanks!

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:17 am

Yeah, this is from 2016...you might very well be looking at the current generation rod.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Fishydish
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Fishydish » Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:50 am

dragon1 wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:17 am
Yeah, this is from 2016...you might very well be looking at the current generation rod.
I actually have the 7’3 XH expride B, but I don’t like it as much as the A series. I wanted to get the expride A 7’3 XH or the 7’6 XH, if the 7’6 balances as well as/close to the 7’3. The 73XH is sold out unfortunately, only the 7’6 is available.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:36 am

Gotcha... yeppers, I get it. Phenix did the same thing with their current generation Ultra MBX Classic...added cross weave reinforcement and more guides, albeit smaller. It really added unnecessary weight and made many of the rods in the lineup stiffer than before, both good and bad, but IMO, mostly bad. Now, to give them credit, the aesthetics and build quality is actually much nicer overall.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."