More Parabolic Punch Rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
User avatar
ccass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1488
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:25 pm
Location: Michigan (U.P)

More Parabolic Punch Rod

Postby ccass » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:41 am

I currently use a Tatula flipping rod for punching. I would like a rod that has a bit more bend in it. I haven't really lost too many fish but the ones I did lose seem like it came from the stiffer rod.

Would a Zillion Swimbait rod do the trick? What reasons would it not work? I'd like to stick with Daiwa.

I also live up north so the bass aren't huge.

Thanks

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2150
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:04 pm
Location: Northern Kentucky

Re: More Parabolic Punch Rod

Postby DavidSA » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:46 am

After my November trip to Florida, I decided I wanted a dedicated punching rod. My research led me to believe a more parabolic action was better. Even the TT review of the Aaron martins flipping stick suggested that a more parabolic rod might be better. My study of rods led me to believe the Dobyns 795 Flip and Powell 3D 795 CEF had the action I sought. While I liked the cork and look for the Dobyns, I took a leap of faith on the Powell and was pleasantly surprised. My trip in January to Florida was disappointing (high winds and dirty water) but the Powell seemed like an incredible rod at any price. For the $128 delivered to my door over the holiday sales, it appears to me the perfect rod for the guy how punches only every now and again.

jiggerjake
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 346
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 2:13 pm
Location: Allentown,Pa.

Re: More Parabolic Punch Rod

Postby jiggerjake » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:13 am

Google the I-ROD, Bub Tosh punching rod.Watch the youtube vid. I think its basically what your looking for.

User avatar
ccass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1488
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:25 pm
Location: Michigan (U.P)

Re: More Parabolic Punch Rod

Postby ccass » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:19 am

I do punch a lot. I just don't hook into 5+ pounders regularly. The Tatula I use is the perfect rod except for the taper. Its light, balanced and sensitive.

It feels even better after I broke the rod right above the butt grip and used a threaded metal rod and epoxy to fix it. The rod is on another level after the fix. Balances under the reel and feels way lighter and more sensitive. One nip from a fish, the tip drops and you can feel the bite even better than before.

The extreme balance makes it easy to fish all day.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2150
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:04 pm
Location: Northern Kentucky

Re: More Parabolic Punch Rod

Postby DavidSA » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:44 am

if its working for you, I would not give a rats axx what others think or say. I've had a few rods over the years that worked great for certain applications yet "common knowledge" suggested it not ideal. If you are missing fish or having fish break off then make a change; else carry on :lol:

User avatar
ccass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1488
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:25 pm
Location: Michigan (U.P)

Re: More Parabolic Punch Rod

Postby ccass » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:38 am

I feel a more parabolic rod would make the smaller fish feel bigger. It seems more logical than stepping down to a MH jig rod and not having the power.

barrys
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 404
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:13 pm

Re: More Parabolic Punch Rod

Postby barrys » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:31 am

DavidSA wrote:After my November trip to Florida, I decided I wanted a dedicated punching rod. My research led me to believe a more parabolic action was better. Even the TT review of the Aaron martins flipping stick suggested that a more parabolic rod might be better. My study of rods led me to believe the Dobyns 795 Flip and Powell 3D 795 CEF had the action I sought. While I liked the cork and look for the Dobyns, I took a leap of faith on the Powell and was pleasantly surprised. My trip in January to Florida was disappointing (high winds and dirty water) but the Powell seemed like an incredible rod at any price. For the $128 delivered to my door over the holiday sales, it appears to me the perfect rod for the guy how punches only every now and again.

Totally agree ! I bought the 8' for the same price and I can't see a better rod out there for the money. It's stout for sure and pretty dang light for an 8 ft rod.

User avatar
zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2510
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:03 pm
Location: California

Re: More Parabolic Punch Rod

Postby zodiak311 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:31 pm

Don't know if it is the same rod that has been recommended. But TW use to sell a Punch Rod. Only Powell I own, and the only Punch Rod I will ever need. Perfect taper, balance, and value.

big_gee
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 584
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:18 pm

Re: More Parabolic Punch Rod

Postby big_gee » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:56 am

I happen to use the Steez flippin rod for punching as it is a little more parabolic then my zillions and Tatula. A lot of people think it's too light but it works really well for me.

User avatar
ccass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1488
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:25 pm
Location: Michigan (U.P)

Re: More Parabolic Punch Rod

Postby ccass » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:30 am

big_gee wrote:I happen to use the Steez flippin rod for punching as it is a little more parabolic then my zillions and Tatula. A lot of people think it's too light but it works really well for me.


The Compile X? It seems like a rod I'm looking for but that rod is like 8 years old and expensive for what you get. I read the sensitivity is lacking for a 700 dollar rod. I wonder if a Zillion swimbait rod would still have the strength to pull fish through weeds and sensitivity.

User avatar
Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2771
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:44 pm
Location: Ashland, NE

Re: More Parabolic Punch Rod

Postby Finnz922 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:35 am

jiggerjake wrote:Google the I-ROD, Bub Tosh punching rod.Watch the youtube vid. I think its basically what your looking for.


x2 :mrgreen:

legendaryyaj
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 614
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:37 pm

Re: More Parabolic Punch Rod

Postby legendaryyaj » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:49 am

ccass wrote:
big_gee wrote:I happen to use the Steez flippin rod for punching as it is a little more parabolic then my zillions and Tatula. A lot of people think it's too light but it works really well for me.


The Compile X? It seems like a rod I'm looking for but that rod is like 8 years old and expensive for what you get. I read the sensitivity is lacking for a 700 dollar rod. I wonder if a Zillion swimbait rod would still have the strength to pull fish through weeds and sensitivity.


I too use my Steez Compile X as my main rod to punch. I do find it lacking in the sensitivity department but the rod is pretty good for what I use I use it for. Sensitivity really doesn't play a big factor in punching to me I feel because they usually snatch the bait. It's a pretty aggressive bite so you'll feel it. The heavy weight on the end really helps too because when your tip becomes light all of a sudden, it's because a fish has it.

Here's a old video of me using my Steez to do some light punching/flipping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs39yBN_t4M

User avatar
jwfflipper14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 304
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 9:44 am

Re: More Parabolic Punch Rod

Postby jwfflipper14 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:43 am


Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2034
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 2:23 pm
Location: Hopkins, Minnesota

Re: More Parabolic Punch Rod

Postby Pen3 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:36 pm

Here is a Tackle Warehouse VLOG with the Compile X Punching thick mats and lillies with Jared and Fish Monroe. One of the funnier videos when Jared is ducking every time Fish would set the hook (can't blame him with 1-2oz Tungsten flying) :lol: I don't have the rod, but it looks like it works perfectly for him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aA4jZaCqOao

big_gee
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 584
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:18 pm

Re: More Parabolic Punch Rod

Postby big_gee » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:02 am

The rod is not the most sensitive but when your using heavy weight and braid it does help. I have had no problems with the sensitivity and it works well for me. It is an old rod but it still a really good rod. If the bite is subtle 90% of the time you will never feel them. All you will feel is that your bait got real heavy. When that happens I set the hook.

You can find the rod for much cheaper but well worth it.


Return to “Rods”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests