More Parabolic Punch Rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Brad in Texas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: More Parabolic Punch Rod

Post by Brad in Texas » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:59 am

toddmc wrote:
ccass wrote:I'm currently using a Megabass X7 Destruction. I haven't used it much but, I'm afraid it may not have the guts.
I wouldn't think that the X7 would have the guts based on the manufacturers description and lure weights down to 1/4 oz. You need to go with a more parabolic dedicated punch rod if you punch frequently. The parabolic rods do work to keep the fish pinned in the mats, and the heavier action allows you to throw the 1 to 2.5 ounce tungsten comfortably. It sucks to have a rod sit in the rod locker most of the year, but we are enthusiasts on TT :D .
Pitching to hard cover is a whole other game. You most likely won't be using weights over 1 oz., and a faster action feels better to me. I prefer a stiffer butt section for pitching to hard cover also.
I would have both types of rods if you are fishing for money, otherwise you should accept the fact that you may lose a fish here and there. You can also use your punching rod for throwing swimbaits if you don't have dedicated rods for those applications.
toddmc has the correct logic or math in mind. He mentions a parabolic bend as better at keeping the fish "pinned," that is, the bend in the rod never lets up on the pressure on the fish. If a rod straightens out, a fish has its best opportunity to escape.

But, adding to his comment about a parabolic action, note too that a rod that bends farther down toward one's hands means it has a shorter lever and more power, not less, over the fish. Try lifting a 25 lbs. barbell plate off the floor with a rope tied around the end of a broomstick, then move the rope closer to your hands to note the difference. Archimedes figured this out thousands of years ago.

So, heavy or medium-heavy powered rods will work great for heavier presentations; and, the parabolic bend over, say, a fast or extra fast tip will give you much more power over the fish as the lifting point of the rod is closer to one's hands.

Brad

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:14 pm

I'd like to know how the Zillion swimbait stick would fair, too. I know this isn't exactly a two birds/one stone crowd, but if it's one rod for two techniques you don't do a lot of it makes it more attractive to me.

That said, to me the Tatula you were using is a very versatile stick. It has a pretty progressive bend that makes it good for lighter mats, frogs, pitching and skipping jigs, and even deep cranks (that's what I used before getting a glass rod more suited to that...) What I didn't like it for, ironically enough, was flipping because the handle's too long, so it both gets in the way when working the bait and makes the business end shorter so it has less reach. So I got a longer rod with a shorter handle better suited for actually flipping. Either rod can handle fairly thick vegetation, but not what I consider heavy mats.

I've never trophy hunted with a swimbait, and I know a pond or two with ridiculously thick and pervasive algae mats at which you can't fish unless you rigged something like this http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/The_Red_ ... e-RMW.html conical tungsten weight and a really heavy powered rod. I wouldn't buy a dedicated rod for either but I like Zillions, especially with braid, and if it could do both and maybe toss an A-rig, I might be tempted.
This is the way.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:05 pm

Brad in Texas wrote:
toddmc wrote:
ccass wrote:I'm currently using a Megabass X7 Destruction. I haven't used it much but, I'm afraid it may not have the guts.
I wouldn't think that the X7 would have the guts based on the manufacturers description and lure weights down to 1/4 oz. You need to go with a more parabolic dedicated punch rod if you punch frequently. The parabolic rods do work to keep the fish pinned in the mats, and the heavier action allows you to throw the 1 to 2.5 ounce tungsten comfortably. It sucks to have a rod sit in the rod locker most of the year, but we are enthusiasts on TT :D .
Pitching to hard cover is a whole other game. You most likely won't be using weights over 1 oz., and a faster action feels better to me. I prefer a stiffer butt section for pitching to hard cover also.
I would have both types of rods if you are fishing for money, otherwise you should accept the fact that you may lose a fish here and there. You can also use your punching rod for throwing swimbaits if you don't have dedicated rods for those applications.
toddmc has the correct logic or math in mind. He mentions a parabolic bend as better at keeping the fish "pinned," that is, the bend in the rod never lets up on the pressure on the fish. If a rod straightens out, a fish has its best opportunity to escape.

But, adding to his comment about a parabolic action, note too that a rod that bends farther down toward one's hands means it has a shorter lever and more power, not less, over the fish. Try lifting a 25 lbs. barbell plate off the floor with a rope tied around the end of a broomstick, then move the rope closer to your hands to note the difference. Archimedes figured this out thousands of years ago.

So, heavy or medium-heavy powered rods will work great for heavier presentations; and, the parabolic bend over, say, a fast or extra fast tip will give you much more power over the fish as the lifting point of the rod is closer to one's hands.

Brad
I see what you're getting at but, if the mechanical disadvantage can be overcome, the extra range of motion is beneficial. Look at how your arm works, very inefficient as far as mechanical advantage but, the range of motion is nuts. Bicep attaches to your forearm in a less than ideal area to lift/gain the most power.

The longer rod is nice for pitching and, gives you more rod to play with. I can overcome the mechanical disadvantage of the longer rod so, the range of motion and other benefits appeal to me.

I know you aren't really disagreeing but, I remember a similar thread being hijacked with physics so, trying to prevent that.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Brad in Texas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Brad in Texas » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:04 pm

More good points.

There is no doubt that a longer rod has its merits, strong merits.

One of those is that the sweeping motion on a hook-set takes up more line and that can be a big deal. And, really, even though we have poor leverage over the fish we are battling, it is rarely a big deal because we are so much larger and stronger. And, no one would fish with a rod made only for lifting leverage because . . . it'd look like a shovel.

I'll always cringe a bit when someone tells me a long relatively stiff rod has more power over a fish compared to rods with lifting points closer to the hands.

And, lots of personal preferences, too!

Brad

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:11 pm

I just feel like the current rod I have may fall short. With ice still on the lakes, it will be a while until I get out on the water.

If I was near Boaz, AL...I could go to The Tackle Trap to handle some rods. I unfortunately live in the middle of nowhere Michigan so, no place to handle high end rods.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:21 pm

I also use a Abu Garcia Veritas Winch Crankbait Rod 7'11" XH. It is rated 3/4 oz to 2 1/2 oz, and it is light, and cheap.
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Abu_Garc ... -WNCV.html
Because it is a crankbait rod, it has a moderate action, so it is easy to pitch/punch with, and, if a fish is stuck up
under the mat, I can keep the rod loaded until I can go in and get it.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:53 am

ccass wrote:I just feel like the current rod I have may fall short. With ice still on the lakes, it will be a while until I get out on the water.

If I was near Boaz, AL...I could go to The Tackle Trap to handle some rods. I unfortunately live in the middle of nowhere Michigan so, no place to handle high end rods.

Preach! I'm in Superior, WI. Have to order everything I want to touch. I'd reconsider the Compile-x it might not have elite sensitivity but with braid you won't miss a beat. Its a beautiful rod, that air beam reel seat is $$$, and its feels awesome for its length and power.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:13 am

mark poulson wrote:I also use a Abu Garcia Veritas Winch Crankbait Rod 7'11" XH. It is rated 3/4 oz to 2 1/2 oz, and it is light, and cheap.
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Abu_Garc ... -WNCV.html
Because it is a crankbait rod, it has a moderate action, so it is easy to pitch/punch with, and, if a fish is stuck up
under the mat, I can keep the rod loaded until I can go in and get it.
Pretty cool purpose for a rod designed for heavy duty cranking. I know someone who uses that same rod for the big 1oz and 2oz Picasso chatterbaits... Recently I have been using my 7'6"MH cranking rod for open hook swimbaits; the versatility of moderate/moderate fast rods is vastly underrated...

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Wed May 09, 2018 10:49 pm

Daiwa steez AGS has a 7'6" H rated for 1/4-1 1/2oz lures and an 8ft MH that has a regular action. The rods share the same lure rating but th MH has a lower line rating a lower line rating sounds like either of those could fit the bill.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu May 10, 2018 8:29 am

I love the zombie rod because of its power and parabolic action
It’s one reason why I won’t get rid of it. The 7’10” length is just right
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:07 pm

Any new thoughts on this?

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:25 pm

Zombie 7’10”
Best everrrrrr
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:56 pm

goldrod wrote:Zombie 7’10”
Best everrrrrr

You live in Florida and say the power is awesome...I live in Northern Michigan so, that power may he overkill, unless targeting big pike.

BTW, the clear brake blocks needed to be the Aldebaran BFS ones (short). Forgot about your PM until boy now

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:04 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Best everrrrrr

You live in Florida and say the power is awesome...I live in Northern Michigan so, that power may he overkill, unless targeting big pike.

BTW, the clear brake blocks needed to be the Aldebaran BFS ones (short). Forgot about your PM until boy now
What kind of vegetation are you punching through? Here in IL there is a local power plant lake that gets a lot of millfoil that I will punch through, and I like the Dobyns DX 795 Flip has enough power to do light punching in milfoil, but still has some tip to the rod. I also like the Megabass Power Versatile more of a moving bait rod, but can be used for swimjigs and jigs with more than enough power to handle the big clumps of weeds.
Thanks for the epiphany captain obvious

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:42 pm

spencerinstl wrote:
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Best everrrrrr

What kind of vegetation are you punching through? Here in IL there is a local power plant lake that gets a lot of millfoil that I will punch through, and I like the Dobyns DX 795 Flip has enough power to do light punching in milfoil, but still has some tip to the rod. I also like the Megabass Power Versatile more of a moving bait rod, but can be used for swimjigs and jigs with more than enough power to handle the big clumps of weeds.
Milfoil mixed with lily pads (thick stem and the stringy little ones).