Megabass Punching rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Bass1980
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Megabass Punching rod

Post by Bass1980 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:57 pm

Looking at the Phase 3 Record Breaker or the Super Red Demon (non 2015 model) for punching 1-1.5oz tungsten. Of the two which one is lighter, or more important better balanced. Reel will be probably be a IP79. Cover will be typical northern natural lake milfoil slop and pads, not hardcore Florida mats. Other use will be pitching 1/2 oz into cattails so need the power to pull them out in case they get stuck in the cattails.

Any other high end MB rods let me hear about them as well. Thanks.

drewlesch
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Megabass Punching rod

Post by drewlesch » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:47 pm

I own the phase 3 record breaker and love it, though I'm not sure that I'd go punching with it. I like to use it for casting 3/8 jigs and a full trailer and frogging in open water. It's not what I bought it for, but the tip makes it a dream caster, and it has enough backbone to hook up at the end of a very long cast. I also own the SRD and it's a beast. The difference between the two in power is not even close. The SRD is 6.2 ounces and the record breaker is 4.9 ounces (those are manufacturer weights). The tip on the SRD is also 2.7mm and 2mm for the record breaker. I love both rods, but feel that the SRD is borderline overkill in MN. I also bought the f8.5-710xbj at the end of the season in hopes of splitting the difference.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:40 pm

The Super Red Demon is gigantic overkill for punching even 1.5 oz, though it will easily get fish out of there. After a lot of punching with it, it's just too powerful for that technique in my hands. It's a much better swim bait rod in general, 3 to 6 oz range, though it can certainly be used for bottom contact applications.

The Record Breaker can easily handle 1 oz punching duties and other heavy cover flipping of jigs and plastics, and makes a great deep water jig and worm rod as well. I haven't tried punching 1.5 oz with it, but I think that's pushing its upper limit based on how it feels with 1 oz. The RB is a great all around jig rod.

Bass1980
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bass1980 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:19 am

Looks like I'm off on both rods and their sweet spots......

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:33 am

So what about these rods? I'm looking for a MB Punching/Flipping rod as well...

FX-710X7

FX-711X

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:35 am

Teal101 wrote:So what about these rods? I'm looking for a MB Punching/Flipping rod as well...

FX-710X7

FX-711X

The Phase III Record Breaker is a better flipping punching rod than either of those in my hands. The Seven Eleven is a highly versatile rod, handles everything from jigs to deep cranks well. The X7 Destruction is somewhere in between being my go to football jig and big worm in deep water rod.

drewlesch
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by drewlesch » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:43 am

I've got some homework to do! Oh and the RB is just flat gorgeous.

M Perry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by M Perry » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:58 am

The XX and Leviathan make great punching rods. I use the XX for that duty now and love it. Tip is perfect for it and you get some hefty backbone as well. That being said you might see a dedicated punching model in the XX lineup sooner rather than later.

Crankbaitmaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Crankbaitmaker » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:13 pm

I don't punch because none of the lakes near my home have any grass. But, they do have log jams. There is a lot of wood that collects in the back of creeks and coves that I flip and pitch into. Much of it is big wood and it stacks in tight. Docks are another big target that I hit. I currently use a 7'6" Kistler Helium II flipping stick for this duty. However, I am ready for something different. I don't own a JDM rod. But I want one. I have admired the Record Breaker for many years but was afraid to pull the trigger because of the MB rods that I have heard of breaking by members on this site. My other choice is a Rushburn. They have really put the Rushburn though a lot on Youtube. I have never heard of a Poison Glorious breaking. Has anyone really put the muscle on a Record Breaker? I would really be interested in hearing your experiences if you have. I really like the 7'6" length of the Record Breaker.

Crankbaitmaker

Bass1980
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bass1980 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:30 am

Yeah I'd like to keep my punching rod within 7'5 - 7'9. Dont really want a longer rod than that.

badbuffalo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by badbuffalo » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:33 am

I spent the summer flipping and ripping millfoil on natural lakes here in nny with a xx amfs, and i couldnt be happier, plenty of power and it keeps them locked up. The only fish i can think of that got the beter of me was a really pissed tiger musky that straight up broke 20lb invis x after about 3 runs next to the boat.(note to self, loosen the drag if its not a bass lol)

Crankbaitmaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Crankbaitmaker » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:24 pm

I finally got to see and hold a Record Breaker 77. I was very impressed with it. It is a beautiful piece of work. It fit comfortably in my hands, and is ballanced well for a flipping stick. I can see where Gary is comming from on it being a good jig rod. The components were straight and lined up. The blank was straight as well. I really like the handle grip. A lot of folks say that this rod is tip heavy. I disagree. This is one of the best laid out flipping sticks that I have ever held. The rod does not have a perfect ballance, but it is close. The entire rod is light as well. My guess is around 5 oz. If this rod will take someone putting the pressure to it then I would say that it is an excellent rod for flipping, pitching, and punching fanatics. I wish Megabass would put some good videos on Youtube of the rod being used. This is just one of those rods that you cant get much feedback on.

Crankbaitmaker

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:22 pm

I'm glad you were impressed with the rod. People too often overlook it and the Seven Eleven Phase III rods because they're telescoping. I've fished both rods extensively and they are excellent. The Tackle Trap has sold quite a few of both models and there haven't been any complaints, only compliments on how well built the rods are and how well they perform.

There's only one Phase III Record Breaker left on the site, and it doesn't look like there will be any more after that either!

http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_pa ... 66_856_950

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:42 am

Is there one that not telescopic?