BFS Rod ... Which one would you use ?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: BFS Rod ... Which one would you use ?

Post by Real Pudd legend » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:52 am

I saw that it's the don iovino series , blank looks good but the reel seat is cheesy and doesn't have the quality components and appeal . I don't think that will sell to well , I don't think this speed style will be my last major craft Rod ... Curious to see what else they offer .

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:26 pm

Real Pudd legend wrote:Got the Rod in promptly and I have to say I am very happy with the Rod. Looks nicer in person and is very light and balanced . Perfect tip action for what I was seeking . Nice Rod bad and the styling is A+. Couldn't be happier with the purchase .... I doubt you would be Unsatisfied .
How about some pictures yo! :D

Jdmbassman
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jdmbassman » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:36 am

Any love for the Megabass Destroyer Evoluzion F2-67ti Themis as a BFS bottom contact rod

JDLaman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by JDLaman » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:35 am

Jdmbassman wrote:Any love for the Megabass Destroyer Evoluzion F2-67ti Themis as a BFS bottom contact rod
In my opinion, it is definitely not a bottom contact rod. I own two of them and use them exclusively now for topwater baits. They have a very soft tip and a nice parabolic bend when loaded up with a fish. Perfect for me for treble hook baits.

Shading-X is my recommendation for BFS bottom contact exposed hook baits.

the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by the hooligan » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:01 am

JD, how would you compare the shading-x to the criffhanger and Northwall ?

There my two bfs rods, but the themis and shading-x have been on my list to try.

I use the criffhanger for small moving baits, and Northwall for bottom contact/ plastics. Thanks

JDLaman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by JDLaman » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:54 am

The Shading-X slots in nicely between the Criffhanger and Eiger Northwall power wise. The Shading-X taper is very similar to the Eiger Northwall, maybe slightly faster but not much. Criffhanger in my hands is a true parabolic, regular taper.

Jdmbassman
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jdmbassman » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:00 am

JDLaman wrote:
Jdmbassman wrote:Any love for the Megabass Destroyer Evoluzion F2-67ti Themis as a BFS bottom contact rod
In my opinion, it is definitely not a bottom contact rod. I own two of them and use them exclusively now for topwater baits. They have a very soft tip and a nice parabolic bend when loaded up with a fish. Perfect for me for treble hook baits.

Shading-X is my recommendation for BFS bottom contact exposed hook baits.
Whats the max size top water you would throw with it. I'm looking for something that has a reactive tip that will help a newbie like me walk the dog style.

JDLaman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by JDLaman » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:16 am

I throw up to 1/2 oz walking and popper baits on the Criffhanger, Themis, Shading-X and the Expada. The Themis is my favorite for topwater walking baits, but I love to fish light.

the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by the hooligan » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:45 am

JDLaman wrote:I throw up to 1/2 oz walking and popper baits on the Criffhanger, Themis, Shading-X and the Expada. The Themis is my favorite for topwater walking baits, but I love to fish light.
That's funny, I feel like I'm pushing these rods with 1/4oz hardbaits, lol

Farnorth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Farnorth » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:35 am

I have thrown 1/2oz top waters and jerkbaits on my shading X with no issue at all. The bend in the rod just means you can go easy and still fire it out there. I also really like how easy they are to cast one handed.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:11 pm

Jdmbassman wrote:Whats the max size top water you would throw with it. I'm looking for something that has a reactive tip that will help a newbie like me walk the dog style.
Matthew, it's all in the wrist. If you don't know how to Walk The Dog, a certain rod is not going to help you. At least that is my opinion so take it for what it's worth.

Jdmbassman
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jdmbassman » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:03 pm

You would be amazed how getting the right rod helps though. I have tried with the regular tapers of the Evergreen Super Cougar and Megabass X7 Cyclone Advantage that a lot of people used without issue but the less reactive tip made it difficult for me.

I tried the older model Megabass's Evoluzion F4-610XDti Elseil and it was so much easier. The reason I am still looking though is that this rod is quite long at 6f 10" and only works when I am higher off the water when fishing from a dock. When fishing from a boat, I hit the water. So my quest is to find the Megabass's Evoluzion F4-610XDti Elseil but in 6ft 6"

lund40
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lund40 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:37 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Real Pudd legend wrote:Got the Rod in promptly and I have to say I am very happy with the Rod. Looks nicer in person and is very light and balanced . Perfect tip action for what I was seeking . Nice Rod bad and the styling is A+. Couldn't be happier with the purchase .... I doubt you would be Unsatisfied .
How about some pictures yo! :D
I would like to see a picture also.

lund40
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lund40 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:12 am

Might have found a bfs rod to mate with my px type r, the killer heat strada i'm still researching right now but it look like a go

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:28 am

I have owned and sold off many BFS rods and the two i keep are the Kaleido Designo rods.