Dobyns Champion Extreme HP video = new DX rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Dobyns Champion Extreme HP video = new DX rods

Post by iabass8 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:42 am

Just got my DX742C HP. Really wish they offered this rod in full grip but I really wanted this rod. I prefer this build/aesthetics over the older DX. The 742 is more of a 2.5 power; perfect for what I wanted it for. The blank seems a bit more responsive and crisp than the previous DX. Actions are definitely a hair faster as well. Handles are definitely longer and the Balance is no better or worse than what I'm accustomed to /w a Dobyns. I was honestly expecting a little "better" balance point further down the real seat /w the lengthened handle but Still great balance right under the locking nut /w a T31016. (I think this rod has an SV105 pairing in its near future). Really happy I went this route and really want to upgrade my "old" DX745 to the new HP.

snk
Angler
Angler

Post by snk » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:49 am

Just received my 744DX HP today. It is a beautiful rod. Just from playing around with it a little, it is a true Fast action...by my standards anyway. Balance point is right on the locking nut. Will certainly be picking up a 745 by spring.

pharmboy2010
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by pharmboy2010 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:55 am

Just received a 745C to replace my old one. Like I've stated about the 703C, I am quite impressed with the new HP series. I really enjoyed the second gen. DX rods and initial impressions of the HPs are even better. Fit an finish is great. The new cork is VERY good. Balances great (one thing that is a pet peeve of mine and one reason I like Dobyns rods). The 745C F/H with a TD-Z Type R+ balances right at the top of the lock nut. A little crisper and maybe a little more power in the midsection than previous. Seems a little lighter, but I do not have an accurate scale to make measurements.

masterbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by masterbass » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:12 pm

It's been awhile since some of you guys got these. I'm interested in the 742hp and wondering about the sensitivity of the new 46 ton today blank in comparison to some of the other higher end rods ie nrx, glx, k2, zbone etc.

cabrela
Angler
Angler

Post by cabrela » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:45 am

masterbass wrote:It's been awhile since some of you guys got these. I'm interested in the 742hp and wondering about the sensitivity of the new 46 ton today blank in comparison to some of the other higher end rods ie nrx, glx, k2, zbone etc.
Nobody? :(

Hennessy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hennessy » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:20 pm

cabrela wrote:
masterbass wrote:It's been awhile since some of you guys got these. I'm interested in the 742hp and wondering about the sensitivity of the new 46 ton today blank in comparison to some of the other higher end rods ie nrx, glx, k2, zbone etc.
I purchased the 742c, I have a 7'3h zbone so I can't compare it to the kistler. I have however been fishing the 852c all year with a 1/4 oz shakyhead. I actually been impressed with the 742c hp with sensitivity especially after being very disappointed with the last dx models. I think sensitivity with the 852c is so close to the dx, it REALLY doesn't matter. I will say power wise the new hp 742c bridges the gap perfectly between the 852c & the 893c. Everyone talks about how special the 893c is & I think the new hp 742c is just as special of a rod, maybe more. Factoring in warranty, looks, sensitivity, balance, price, if I woke up tomorrow without any rods I'd have all extreme hp models w/o a doubt. I've actually moved the 742c to 1/4 shakyhead duty, which is my most used technique. Mainly cause it's a more powerful medium action than the 852c. I'd probably loose to much $ trying to sell my used nrx models & converting to the new dobyns BUT if anyone did, I wouldn't question it one bit

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by iabass8 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:18 am

Hennessy wrote:
cabrela wrote:
I purchased the 742c, I have a 7'3h zbone so I can't compare it to the kistler. I have however been fishing the 852c all year with a 1/4 oz shakyhead. I actually been impressed with the 742c hp with sensitivity especially after being very disappointed with the last dx models. I think sensitivity with the 852c is so close to the dx, it REALLY doesn't matter. I will say power wise the new hp 742c bridges the gap perfectly between the 852c & the 893c. Everyone talks about how special the 893c is & I think the new hp 742c is just as special of a rod, maybe more. Factoring in warranty, looks, sensitivity, balance, price, if I woke up tomorrow without any rods I'd have all extreme hp models w/o a doubt. I've actually moved the 742c to 1/4 shakyhead duty, which is my most used technique. Mainly cause it's a more powerful medium action than the 852c. I'd probably loose to much $ trying to sell my used nrx models & converting to the new dobyns BUT if anyone did, I wouldn't question it one bit
Agree. I really love the new 742c HP. They definitely feel more sensitive in hand than the previous gen. I have the 742, 743, and 745. The 742 definitely has that "it" factor for me. Almost always has a senko or 1/8oz trig tied on it.

cabrela
Angler
Angler

Post by cabrela » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:46 am

Hennessy wrote:
cabrela wrote:
So the new HP is somehow in the level (sensitive wise) of the NRX?? That´s great to hear....I´m planing on getting the 703 or the 704.

TxHawgs
Angler
Angler

Post by TxHawgs » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:14 pm

I just got to see these rods recently and was absolutely blown away by the quality, aesthetics and finish. Much more so than the NRX's I own, especially at their price point. The NRX 895C that I purchased turned out for me anyway to be less than desirable for pitchin & flippin. And after holding these it is definitely a model I will be picking up a few sticks in for bottom contact baits. Can anyone else confirm the sensitivity of these being on part w the NRX? Man that would be the icing on the cake let me tell ya lol.

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by iabass8 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:03 pm

TxHawgs wrote:I just got to see these rods recently and was absolutely blown away by the quality, aesthetics and finish. Much more so than the NRX's I own, especially at their price point. The NRX 895C that I purchased turned out for me anyway to be less than desirable for pitchin & flippin. And after holding these it is definitely a model I will be picking up a few sticks in for bottom contact baits. Can anyone else confirm the sensitivity of these being on part w the NRX? Man that would be the icing on the cake let me tell ya lol.
Are they more sensitive than the previous version DX? Yes and i think its pretty noticable.

Are they as sensitive as an NRX? No.