Getting a NRX895 to balance

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Getting a NRX895 to balance

Post by rockchalk06 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:36 pm

I was going to go the custom route on my 3/4oz jig rid, but this used NRX895 green came around at 330 shipped. I knew going in, this rod didn't balance very well, but I was shocked how a 600 dollar rod felt like this. That said, dragging a 3/4 oz jig with pp across the yard blew my mind on the sensitivity.

I bought some chair leg covers and added some quarters. 6-7 quarters seemed to help but it didn't fit on the rod well. I did some searching and found the ones from the Mud Hole. They come with 3 lead weights and travel further up the butt. Has anyone used these? Have any pictures with them installed? How did you like it?

I would like an option to balance all three of my NRX's out before I send them to my rod builder. I can have him remove the lower butt section and add weight and a new piece to make it look stock, but I think my warranty goes out the door?

StarTzar
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Getting a NRX895 to balance

Post by StarTzar » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:24 pm

I'll be following this thread closely. I have3 NRX's that need to get balanced.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:42 pm

wanna follow as well.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:27 am

I have the chair leg protectors with a single 1oz weight on my 894's. This makes them balance almost perfect even with a 6oz reel. The 895 is more tip heavy and may require a 1.5oz or 2oz????? If it was 1.5 then my leg protector might work. I wonder if anyone has a dense tungsten weight you could get.

Word to the group. When I got my first 894 I was casting senko's and burning speed worms and the balance was a non-issue. When I started pitching plastics around cover and working the lure slower it became an issue which 1oz in the leg protector finished. It did so well I dropped from a 7.5oz reel to a 6oz and may have actually improved balance. I do get that the 895 needs more weight then the 894. My chair leg protector could not take 7 quarters and fit.

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by iabass8 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:10 am

I had my NRX's split grip removed, added full cork, and a small amount of special weight added into the bottom inch of the blank and a little inside the butt cap nottom. I dont like split grips but love the NRX blank. I didnt go high end on the cork because i wrap all my rods with XPS or over grip(live the stuff). The price to do it is less than the price of shipping to a rod bulider. I was going to have scott do it bit found a local guy that did it for next to nothing. I use TDZ type r+ on mine (6oz or less) and they balance right under the reel seat. I dont have the 894 and 893. I dont want the 895 based on how absursly tip heavy it is. I dont believe altering the rod voids their new warranty. Could be wrong but it was worth it. Its hard to put a perfectly balanced NRX down.

rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rockchalk06 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:12 am

iabass8 wrote:I had my NRX's split grip removed, added full cork, and a small amount of special weight added into the bottom inch of the blank and a little inside the butt cap nottom. I dont like split grips but love the NRX blank. I didnt go high end on the cork because i wrap all my rods with XPS or over grip(live the stuff). The price to do it is less than the price of shipping to a rod bulider. I was going to have scott do it bit found a local guy that did it for next to nothing. I use TDZ type r+ on mine (6oz or less) and they balance right under the reel seat. I dont have the 894 and 893. I dont want the 895 based on how absursly tip heavy it is. I dont believe altering the rod voids their new warranty. Could be wrong but it was worth it. Its hard to put a perfectly balanced NRX down.

I'm going to call next week and ask. My builder will do it for a good price. I had him build me a custom Northfork swim jig rod and the balance is out of this world. If I could get him to do all three of these like the Swim Jig rod, I would fall over dead. I love these blanks.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:25 am

I do think altering the rod invalidates the warranty. I could be wrong but for many years that was considered common knowledge with the GLX rods. these long NRX rods would be much nicer in my opinion with a full rear grip and a bit of space to add weight on the very tip.

One reason those chair leg protectors work so well is they extend the butt just a little and have the weight on the very end of the rod. I have a few rods I have put them on without any weight and even that makes a nice difference.

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:24 pm

If you dare, you can drill hole through butt and add some weight inside blank. Start with small diameter drill and be careful to do not drill blank. Then epoxy it and its done!

rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rockchalk06 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:09 am

MardukFIN wrote:If you dare, you can drill hole through butt and add some weight inside blank. Start with small diameter drill and be careful to do not drill blank. Then epoxy it and its done!

That has cross my mind a hundred times. What would I put in there? I need probably 8 quarters worth of weight on the 895

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:26 am

Go to www.matagi.co.jp and look under "unique metal components." You will see some nice butt balancers that look a lot better than the chair leg protector with lead. Any custom builder should be able to install these components. Matagi is easy to deal with by e-mail. This is why I don't buy NRX rods. You might as well have a rod built that is balanced from the start.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:44 am

toddmc wrote:This is why I don't buy NRX rods. You might as well have a rod built that is balanced from the start.
exactly how i feel. not only are u spending $550 but u have to make all these alterations just to have it look/feel right? no thx

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by iabass8 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:50 am

rockchalk06 wrote:
MardukFIN wrote:If you dare, you can drill hole through butt and add some weight inside blank. Start with small diameter drill and be careful to do not drill blank. Then epoxy it and its done!

That has cross my mind a hundred times. What would I put in there? I need probably 8 quarters worth of weight on the 895
8 quarters is around 1.6oz. Take 2 x3/4oz Tungsten bullet (not flipping, i don't think they will fit) and tape them together butt to butt. insert them into the blank from the butt nice and snug. Don't start shoving more and more weight in the handle either. At that point you're just making the handle heavy and not balancing anything. You either have weight added to the butt or move the reel seat up a few inches. That will balance it out. Just do what I did and have a rod builder do it. It will pay for itself the first time you pick up a perfectly balanced NRX.

Lucky Craft Man
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Lucky Craft Man » Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:22 am

Here's a post I made a while ago concerning the 895. The first part is how I balance them without voiding the warranty or affecting the slim line nature of the handle (i.e., no flared out butt end that a chair leg cap would give)...

http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic. ... 95#p422527

phatbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by phatbass » Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:03 am

toddmc wrote:Go to http://www.matagi.co.jp and look under "unique metal components." You will see some nice butt balancers that look a lot better than the chair leg protector with lead. Any custom builder should be able to install these components. Matagi is easy to deal with by e-mail. This is why I don't buy NRX rods. You might as well have a rod built that is balanced from the start.
thats not the case with the 843,but when you move up to the heavier powered rods that becomes an issue.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:06 pm

phatbass wrote:
toddmc wrote:Go to http://www.matagi.co.jp and look under "unique metal components." You will see some nice butt balancers that look a lot better than the chair leg protector with lead. Any custom builder should be able to install these components. Matagi is easy to deal with by e-mail. This is why I don't buy NRX rods. You might as well have a rod built that is balanced from the start.
thats not the case with the 843,but when you move up to the heavier powered rods that becomes an issue.
Yes, I've handled the other NRX rods and they don't feel as poorly balanced as the 895. I think many more of us would buy the NRX if it was available as a blank, but I think a lot of us can't get into the factory builds because they miss the mark into too many ways. It's a shame that the OP is stuck in this predicament. I would go the Matagi route.