NRX Help.

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: NRX Help.

Post by the hooligan » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:10 am

Nice combo Rich :D

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:24 am

Lookin good!

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:51 am

rig looks great! I think you will find that rod is surprisingly versatile. Certainly I have.

While it handles the 1/2oz jig like a dream I say the same thing when I have nearly 1oz on the rig. By the same token, I have fished shakey head worms with total rig weight just under 3/8oz in heavy cover. What really shocked me was buzzing worms over grass with a 3/8oz weight so I could crank really fast. In a three day period, I landed like 75 bass and maybe missed 5. I would have thought a hookup ratio on a strong rod like the 874 would have been much lower.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:24 am

rockchalk06 wrote:Just wanted to thank everyone for their input. Tackle Trap had a sale and picked up an NRX894 JWR for 4 bones new. You guys were spot on. Its perfect for my 1/2oz pitching. Mounted my IP79 and will get some action tomorrow. I made a couple hundred pitches in the yard and it feels great. Sensitivity doesn't blow my GLX or DX away, but you can defiantly tell a difference though.

You done good. =D> Nice comb, don't see how you could do any better.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:29 pm

rockchalk06 wrote:. I made a couple hundred pitches in the yard and it feels great. Sensitivity doesn't blow my GLX or DX away, but you can defiantly tell a difference though.
]
I've fished mostly FC line using Alum reels on my 894's for the past 9 months. During that period I would have said the rod not as sensitive as my other NRX rods or even my beloved BCR 803 GLX. To be honest, because of the power of the rod, I did not expect it to be. Friday I got a new reel and loaded it with 30# braid and mounted it on the 894. Rod is now every bit as sensitive as any rod/reel combo I have ever picked up. In fact, it has made the 894 come to life in ways that I had not imagined. Makes me want to pitch creature baits into cover all day long =D>

The difference is that I have moved to a magnesium based reel like my other dedicated worm rods. I'm a little in shock still honestly but this is an old lesson relearned for me.

For first months of 894 ownership, I was unwilling to try a 6oz reel on the 894 because of balance but then in June I added a rod balancer to my 894's and the need for heavy reels went away.

rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rockchalk06 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:16 pm

DavidSA wrote:
rockchalk06 wrote:. I made a couple hundred pitches in the yard and it feels great. Sensitivity doesn't blow my GLX or DX away, but you can defiantly tell a difference though.
]
I've fished mostly FC line using Alum reels on my 894's for the past 9 months. During that period I would have said the rod not as sensitive as my other NRX rods or even my beloved BCR 803 GLX. To be honest, because of the power of the rod, I did not expect it to be. Friday I got a new reel and loaded it with 30# braid and mounted it on the 894. Rod is now every bit as sensitive as any rod/reel combo I have ever picked up. In fact, it has made the 894 come to life in ways that I had not imagined. Makes me want to pitch creature baits into cover all day long =D>

The difference is that I have moved to a magnesium based reel like my other dedicated worm rods. I'm a little in shock still honestly but this is an old lesson relearned for me.

For first months of 894 ownership, I was unwilling to try a 6oz reel on the 894 because of balance but then in June I added a rod balancer to my 894's and the need for heavy reels went away.
I'm going to look into this. I had thought I needed the heavier IP79 to balance this out, but it just feels weird using such a heavy reel. I have 3 light weight Daiwa's and 5 Core/Met's. This just feels weird. Good reel, but I think I am going to swap it for another Core/Met or a 100 Steez.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:13 am

one of the board members recommended some chair leg protectors as butt caps on the NRX rods. For $4 I felt I could not loose. I now have them on many/most of my rods. Sometimes just the cap itself helps balance things out. My old Gloomis GLX rods have pointy plastic on them that was nice to cover up; no more indentions in my rib cage.

You can elect to put as many quarters or weight in the butt as you like so balance is optimal for you. I have a 1oz weight in mine. So I dropped my reel weight by 1.5oz and moved 1oz directly to the butt. My balance is now right at the reel seat.

When I was casting the NRX I did not care about balance. This summer when I went to pitching almost exclusively with tennis elbow to boot I wanted the rod balanced like my 6'3 length rods.

rubs96
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rubs96 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:20 am

Teal101 wrote:Talking with a buddy who has tried a few I'd lean 894c. I grabbed an 854c for my 1/2oz jig work since like you said, my 3 powered NRX had a 3/8 sweet spot. I was told the 894 has more power than the 854 and the 854 is a wicked 1/2oz jig rod. I thought about the 895 as well but was told it was a broom stick. I think my next NRX's will be the 843c and the 894c.
I love my 895 but you're right... it's very heavy in power. Although I've used mine for everything from a Megabass Knuckle to a Megabass I-Slide - and have had it paired with a Calais DC, Curado 300E, Calcutta DC and Core 100MgFV - I've settled on using it for my punching setup for weights up to 2oz. (usually using a 5" tube, Zaga craw, flappin' hog), and it's paired with a Core 50. Has worked so far FOR ME.

I wouldn't trade this rod for any other... but I wouldn't mind adding a 894 sometime soon.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:38 am

Rubs- what is the lightest lure you would throw on the 895?

I've seen a picture on BBC or TT of a guy with the 895 demonstrating the bend of this rod. It absolutely is not a pool cue; those type rods don't bend like I see the 895 bending. Several have noted it crossing the line on tip heaviness but a butt cap would resolve that. When I got my second 894 I traded for it and had my choice of rods. I thought about both the 895 and 893. I'm certain that 99% of guys on this board would have told me to get the 893 but I know where I was fishing in Florida my existing 894 was the most minimal rod I wanted in those conditions. The 895 had my eye but felt the 894 did everything from power finesse to 1oz with eases so I went that direction.

Over the years, I have learned power is much in the eye of the fisherman. If you read the history of posts on the NRX873 on this board you would think it a powerhouse rod. According to the TT review, it is less powerful then the Gloomis MBR844 which to me is a typical heavy power rod. The way I got my second 894 is as follows. Someone on BBC noted how much they liked the old BCR 875 GLX c-rig rod. I commented in the forum that I had one collecting dust. That rod was very stiff. When you pulled on the tip only the last foot moved at all and only with very heavy load. I think it would make your 895 look like a regular heavy rod. The guys asked me if I would trade and offered me any NRX I wanted if I paid his and my shipping. He said it was his favorite GLX rod ever which is no longer made. I looked the guy up and he has caught more ledge fish in his life then likely I have in my any water conditions. After the trade I asked him what he did with the rod, his reply was 10inch worms with 1.5oz weight in 40ft of water. Like I said, one guys pool cue is another mans treasure.

Dexter
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Dexter » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:23 am

Spent last week fishing in northern wisc. It was pretty hot and the only action I could generate was in the real slop. I used my nrx 895 paired with IP 79 tossing frogs. The 895 is no pool cue. I'm not sure I could pull the fish out of their cover with less of a rod. For froggin', it doesn't get much better. She may look slow and fat, but she strikes like a cobra. I can't comment on the 894 as I don't own one..yet...but the 895 is no pool cue.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:07 am

good reminder Dexter that guys in Northern states and South Canada have some real vegetation that rivals Florida

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:35 am

that is very true....

it makes me truly laugh out loud when folks talk about using 2 power rods for largie fishing....

up here, a largie would make you look like a fool if you tried to use a 2 power rod in the vegetation I fish here in Ontario....

"3" power is a minimum, with "4" power being much more fitting.

(of course our open water smallie fishing is much different)

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:50 am

SteveSchmelzle wrote:that is very true....

it makes me truly laugh out loud when folks talk about using 2 power rods for largie fishing....

up here, a largie would make you look like a fool if you tried to use a 2 power rod in the vegetation I fish here in Ontario....

"3" power is a minimum, with "4" power being much more fitting.

(of course our open water smallie fishing is much different)
Yup. MH minimum once we go for largies unless it's against rip-rap. I have two rods rated "Medium" and one rated "Medium Light", and two of those are spinning. Everything else is MH, H, or XH. Our grass gets real thick in the late summer. I'm in the market for a longer Punching/Flipping rod for these big mats now and the 895 is on my radar along with the P3 Seven Eleven, X4 Seven Eleven, and XX Flipping Special.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:02 am

My boat heads to south Florida in October for the winter and nothing less then Heavy rods will be in the boat. Lots of Canadian guys I've met in Florida that taught me how to senko fish over heavy grass :D They tell me it is a common pattern up North. I was shocked when they told me this but then I remembered skiing on several lakes in Wisconsin in college; grass in all directions if you fall.

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:15 am

my senko rod, my WAR ROD, is a NRX 804s XMR (inshore rod that goes to 1.5 ounce).

broke my NRX 803s senko rod in half trying to pull out a bass from the cane grass.