Fast vs extra fast- casting differences

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Fast vs extra fast- casting differences

Post by spookybaits » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:46 am

90% of my fishing has always been moving baits(TW, cranks, swim baits), but I want to get more into plastics this year and get some dedicated setups.
I'm getting some of the new st croix LE rods, and I'm trying to decide between the 6'6 fast or 6'8 extra fast.
From what I've gathered, xf is preferred for pitching accuracy? Will I loose casting distance with the xf?

I won't be bombing em long range or anything, mostly mid range casting and close cover stuff.
Just wondering what I'd give up by choosing the extra fast over the fast(or vice versa).
Which would you prefer for close-medium range weightless plastics and tiny Texas rigged stuff?

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Fast vs extra fast- casting differences

Post by smalljaw » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:14 am

I have a 7'2" MH-XF Fenwick Aetos, I use it to pitch soft plastics and throw swim jigs and hollow body swim baits in grass and around cover. The extra fast action makes it a dream to pitch with as it only requires a little movement to make a pitch, it also lets me throw mid range casts with a high degree of accuracy and it is great for setting the hook in grass. The cons I experience as casting distance isn't great and my accuracy with a roll cast suffers but that is with a MH, a medium power rod will give you a little extra sensitivity as well as some added power but you will still have some forgiveness.

Martin Lo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Martin Lo » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:20 am

spookybaits wrote:90% of my fishing has always been moving baits(TW, cranks, swim baits), but I want to get more into plastics this year and get some dedicated setups.
I'm getting some of the new st croix LE rods, and I'm trying to decide between the 6'6 fast or 6'8 extra fast.
From what I've gathered, xf is preferred for pitching accuracy? Will I loose casting distance with the xf?

I won't be bombing em long range or anything, mostly mid range casting and close cover stuff.
Just wondering what I'd give up by choosing the extra fast over the fast(or vice versa).
Which would you prefer for close-medium range weightless plastics and tiny Texas rigged stuff?
I'd go the ex-fast and a little longer. like the LXC71MHXF or TBC71MHXF. If you're casting weightless plastics the softer tip with faster taper is going to make pitching, casting and finally nailing fish easier.

GRH
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GRH » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:55 am

spookybaits wrote:90% of my fishing has always been moving baits(TW, cranks, swim baits), but I want to get more into plastics this year and get some dedicated setups.
From what I've gathered, xf is preferred for pitching accuracy? Will I loose casting distance with the xf? ...
I've owned both and never really noticed much of a difference in casting distance between the two. What is different is the 6'8" medium/extra-fast (LEC68MXF) is noticeably softer in the tip section and backbone, the specs reflect this. Never had any problem with 3LB-3.5LB. bass (open water), but felt that anything heavier the 6'6" medium/fast (LEC66MF) is better suited. I used it for crankbaits, inline spinners, drop-shot and it worked great, although I've converted my cranks and inline spinners to single hook configuration but never did lose a bass when I had trebles on. I attribute this to the softer tip and backbone section. Another thing I noticed is St. Croix fast "action" is about the same as my Loomis NRX extra-fast "action". I believe this is what causes some to say that St. Croix rods have 1/2 times more power than other rods.

Interestingly, when I talked to St. Croix customer service he told me the 2016 LE casting rods will have "micro" sized Torzite guides. He looked at the specification chart and said they are the same "size" as the current Legend Extreme casting model guides, so that is something to keep in mind. Lastly, he said the 2016 blanks are the same as current models other than the Taper Enhanced Technology (TET) from the Extreme models being added to the 2016 Elite models.

Edited: Added 'distance', 'open water' and 'NRX' for better descriptions.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:53 am

Thanks guys!

@GRH great feedback, that's really helpful!
Was planning on the 6'8 but now leaning towards the 6'6 for the extra backbone.
he told me the 2016 LE casting rods will have "micro" sized Torzite guides.
Dammit! Not stoked.
I knew these seemed too good to be true, had to be a catch.
I'll probably still get the 6'6 or 6'8, but likely won't get any of the longer rods now. Bummer. Hopefully they aren't too micro

GRH
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GRH » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:10 am

spookybaits wrote:Thanks guys!

@GRH great feedback, that's really helpful!
Was planning on the 6'8 but now leaning towards the 6'6 for the extra backbone.
he told me the 2016 LE casting rods will have "micro" sized Torzite guides.
Dammit! Not stoked.
I knew these seemed too good to be true, had to be a catch.
I'll probably still get the 6'6 or 6'8, but likely won't get any of the longer rods now. Bummer. Hopefully they aren't too micro
The 6'8" Medium/Extra-Fast has a line rating of 8-14lbs. and the 6'6" Medium/Fast is 10-17lbs., the lure rating is the same for both at 1/4-5/8oz.

He gave me the guide sizes but I didn't write them down and I can't remember, but he did say they are exactly the same "size" as the current Legend Extreme casting models, so you can look at one of them for reference.

I always had a fun time bringing in Crappie and Blugill/Sunfish in addition to the Bass with the 6'8" Medium/Extra-Fast, so it really is a universal rod but not really stout enough if you are fishing anything other than open water if the bass are generally 3.5lbs or heavier - the 6'6" Medium/Fast would be better suited for the heavier ones.

GRH
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GRH » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:43 pm

I was looking through the new 2016 St. Croix catalog and noticed they have discontinued the 6'6" casting models, the shortest casting model is now 6'8". The new 6'8" Medium/Fast line and lure weights is the same as the current 6'6" Medium/Fast model and the 6'8" Medium/Extra-Fast will have the same line weight and lure weight as it's previous models too, but the 6'8" Medium/Extra-Fast has gained a teenie tiny amount of weight - 3.9oz. (was 3.7oz.). The 6'8" Medium/Fast also weighs in at 3.9oz. and both retail for $380.00.

So for an additional $30.00 (retail) over last years model you get Taper Enhancement Technology (TET) added, the new Fuji Torzite guides with full titanium frames (not just plated), a new Fuji PLS-LD reel seat, and finally a Kigan titanium hook keeper. Not a bad deal at all, it should give the Loomis GLX (and cost conscience NRX buyers) a lot more competition now.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:24 am

are all the new elites full handle or are some split?

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:17 am

Chode wrote:are all the new elites full handle or are some split?
Has to be same - full cork

GRH
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GRH » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:25 am

Yes, thankfully the 2016 Legend Elite series continues the tradition of "Full Length Cork" handles - and that is confirmed in the 2016 St. Croix catalog that I have.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:40 am

GRH wrote:
Yes, thankfully the 2016 Legend Elite series continues the tradition of "Full Length Cork" handles - and that is confirmed in the 2016 St. Croix catalog that I have.
thx a lot

jamesdta
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jamesdta » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:48 am

All the light action spinning rods the same specs as last year ? Hoping the add some light xf ast rods

GRH
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GRH » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:07 am

jamesdta wrote:All the light action spinning rods the same specs as last year ? Hoping the add some light xf ast rods
Bad news if you're talking light and not medium-Light. For 2016 the only "Light" Legend Elite Spinning rod listed is the
ES70LF - the specs are listed below. There are several Medium-Lights, though:

Model: ES70LF (ES70LF2 for the 2-piece version)
Length: 7'0"
Power: Light
Action: Fast
Pieces: 1 or 2
Line Weight: 4-8lbs.
Lure Weight: 1/16-1/4oz.
Weight: 3.2oz. (3.4oz. for the 2-piece rod)
Price: $380 ($400 for the 2-piece)

GRH
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GRH » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:03 am

Hey spookybaits,

If you’re still monitoring this thread I talked to the Rep. at St. Croix again who is very knowledgeable about the 2016 models. The size of the new Torzite “Micro” Guides for the 7’0” MF "Legend Elite" (EC70MF) casting model is below:

Stripper .....10.0
#2 ........... 7.0
#3 ........... 4.5
#4 ........... 4.5
#5 ........... 4.5
#6 ........... 4.5
#7 ........... 4.0
#8 ........... 4.0
#9 ........... 4.0
#10 ......... 4.0
#11 ......... 4.0
Tip-Top .... 4.0

I was considering buying a 7-footer for myself but now I’m concerned about those “Micros” too. He said they are the same size as the current “Legend Extreme” casting models. So… is there anyone out there who owns a "Legend Extreme” or who has a custom or other model with Micro Guides this size and can comment about their performance in casting distance, line slap, slop and/or leader knot clogging, etc.

This may cause me too keep my current model casting and spinning “Legend Elite” models… Ooops, I forgot to say that he said the 2016 “Legend Elite” Spinning rods use micros too!!! :shock:

Thanks.

Edited: added "leader" to knot for better description.
Last edited by GRH on Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:15 am, edited 4 times in total.

SmallSmallie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SmallSmallie » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:53 am

That looks like a lot of guides for 7ft rod imo.... but I only do spiral wrap so I maybe wrong regarding conventional wrap.

I've made couple build with micro guides i.e. torize/sic in 4.0 size but I haven't noticed any distance issue. good side is lighter guide = better sensitivity and balance. bad side = tough to pull line through and may become an issue with leader knot.