Spiral Wrapped Jerk Bait rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Spiral Wrapped Jerk Bait rods

Post by goldrod » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:39 am

Are there any owners of spiral wrapped jerk bait ( hard baits like pointer 100's) rods?

If you have one can you post a pic and tell me if the spiral wraps add or take away from the action?
I have hard of some people with crankbait rods that are spiral wrapped and dont hear any negatives about them.
thanks.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Re: Spiral Wrapped Jerk Bait rods

Post by Mattman » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:08 am

In my opinion...

I've seen guys say that they don't want a spiral wrap because they work their bait in a tip down fashion. Not just jerks, but cranks, and other lures.

Working the bait is one of the last reasons to, or not to, spiral wrap a rod. The amount of force applied by a lure pales in comparison to fighting a fish. This is where the spiral comes into play because your guides are now on the correct side of the rod blank, the underside. As you raise your rod tip to fight the fish, the load from that fish wants to turn those guides to the underside. You can even see a low modulus blank twist because of this force. Why not just put the guides where they want to be in the first place?

Martin Lo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Martin Lo » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:02 am

Yep, have one. And no I haven't found anything detrimental it.

TFOUR
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by TFOUR » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:12 am

Agreed I fish all spiral wrapped rods and see no negatives to them. I have yet to find someone to back up there claims of negativity toward spiral wraps or find someone that can cast further with a similar on top setup.

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:45 pm

it's not my dedicated jerkbait rod but i often use my spiral wrapped phenix k2 764 to fish jerkbaits. never had a problem.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:01 am

I think it was Hank Cherry using spinning rod on the BMC in Tulsa Oklahoma when it was cold.
I liken a spiral wrapped rod to the same as a spinning rod sorta. I'm looking to toss Duo Realis 120
j/b and I think with the right giude size it would be great. I've just not heard anyone using SWG(spiral wrapped guides)
for j/b. Thanks for the feed back.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:51 am

My jerk bait rod is a spiral wrapped Matrix blank custom I built. Works great.

DaveJ

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:00 am

I love to post pics of my jerkbait/topwater rod...spiral wrapped. Works great - no downsides. :big grin:

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:32 pm

Thanks to all..

I've got one on order. Cant wait to see this build
I havent been able to get up on here but when I home the rod should be built and I will post pics
and maybe if i get a chance tell you guys how it performs. Thanks to all for answering my questions