G.Loomis/Shimano Spybait Rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
MTBF
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

G.Loomis/Shimano Spybait Rod

Post by MTBF » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:30 pm

Hey guys,

Hope summer is going good for everybody on TT. I am exploring a new technique this summer and will be forced to use either my NRX852 or 802S for the Spinbait 80/Jackall I Prop. Each rod has a 12lb SX1 Braid and well throw on a 8lb Fluoro Leader this August/September but I know it's slightly over powered in the rod and line.

What I would like to get away with next year is a setup with straight Fluorocarbon (5lb or 6lb) but with my preference being a high end Shimano or ideally a NRX. The rod I had in mind was the NRX822S DSR, the ratings are heavier but I know this rod is very parabolic and goes into a deep bend almost like a crank bait rod would keeping treble hooks pinned.

Anybody suggest this rod also? Thinking of another Stella FI, maybe a 2500 this time over a 3000.

Thanks guys.

MTBF

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: G.Loomis/Shimano Spybait Rod

Post by cndbasshunter » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:51 pm

The dsr would be awesome.

Bubbleboy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Bubbleboy » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:20 pm

I'm using my NRX 822SYR for spybaiting and drop shot. It's paired up with a Stella FD. Working well so far

MTBF
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MTBF » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:59 am

Bubbleboy wrote:I'm using my NRX 822SYR for spybaiting and drop shot. It's paired up with a Stella FD. Working well so far
Hmm and the SYR is a little stiffer rod too I believe

Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bassmar » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:29 pm

I use the NRX 802s paired with a Stella 2500FE for the Spinbait 80. 6lb Fluoro. Excellent casting. Rod has enough give to keep those small hooks from ripping out. Just easy on the drag. :)

MondayMonkey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MondayMonkey » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:19 am

Bubbleboy wrote:I'm using my NRX 822SYR for spybaiting and drop shot. It's paired up with a Stella FD. Working well so far
I tried spybaiting for the first time last week and the rod I had available was my NRX 822SYR. I agree it works very well for it imo.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:09 pm

for the iprop ....that bait likes to come up if not cranked suicide slow. Great looking bait...but i find it tough to retrieve slow with the stella fi xg...the duo and evergreen prop magic have been more productive.

ANd keep in mind the jdm jackall iprop custom "s" it's an even slower sinking bait that on occasion fails to break the surface tension.

I put on single hook owner replacements on all of them....and use a 7'6" cuamara with gliss and a fluro topshot...great results.

TFOUR
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by TFOUR » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:15 am

A parabolic graphite rod works great for the smaller spy bait i usually use braid with a 10 yard 6 lb. flouro leader and find i can get the same action as all flouro.