Topwater popping rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Topwater popping rod

Post by BigG » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:23 am

Looking for the best baitcasting rod to cast 1/4 oz Zell Pop Rs, Ricos, and Yellow Magic poppers. Rod needs to have some backbone for Lake Guntersville grass and accuracy for casting around structure. Usually not pulling fish out of grass, but away from it. I love topwater fishing with poppers. that's all this rod has to do. Been using a MB Evo Big Taper Super Griffon which is a medium power with medium fast action. Handle is just a tad long. Any comment would be appreciated.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Topwater popping rod

Post by smalljaw » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:31 am

G.Loomis TWR 802C, I was going to get this rod but I have a JBR 752C jerkbait rod and it has a very similar, almost identical action only the 802C is longer giving it more power on hook set and fighting the fish.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:22 am

Thanks for the recommendation smalljaw, I'll give it a look.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:44 am

I would not remotely consider paying full retail but a rod that would serve you well is the Diawa Steez 6'3mh if you prefer shorter for topwaters. an old TT review of this rod can be found on this site.

Originally I purchased this rod looking for true all purpose then discovered I did not like it for plastics. For Jerkbaits, Spinnerbaits and topwaters it is quite good and it has a great deal of backbone. I was down on G-ville one year catching them on the baits you mention on my loomis MBR 782 but that rod did not have enough muscle. I looked around in the boat and asked what will cast and work such a light lure yet have more muscle. Out pops the steez and many years later I still have the rod and still use it for topwaters and jerkbaits. Diawa may have similar action model in cheaper line of rods. Have not shopped Diawa rods in years.

RonH
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by RonH » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:31 am

My rod for fishing poppers in a 6' Loomis GLX. Specifically a CR722. I have the MBR782 but usually use it for other topwaters like the Devil's Horse or Baby Torpedos. To me, poppers require a 6 footer.

Congoman775
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Congoman775 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:22 pm

6'9 Kistler KLX Tops N twitch special... best topwater rod I've found, by far. 3.5oz , North Fork IM Blanks and under $200 doesn't hurt either.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:52 pm

Anybody try a NRX 802C, does it have strong backbone?

rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rockchalk06 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:16 am

I've been using a Dobyns Champion 653CB for mine lately. I initially bought it for Jerkbaits, but decided I didn't like the Moderate action for Jerkbaits. Since then, its been great for Topwater. I throw 1/4 oz PopR's up to Sammy 85's and 100's. Its got plenty of give with more than enough backbone. Only problem with it is the length if you want to move alot of line very quickly.

I fish from the bank so it fits me well.

romans
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by romans » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:28 am

The NRX is a true XF taper rod. The 802 will cast the popper, it will work the popper and with the drag backed off will land the fish as well. If the fish are eating the popper good then all is well. When the fish aren't eating it good is when I struggled with the 802. The XF taper doesn't help in keeping fish pinned and with the backed off drag doesn't always make for great hooksets. When the fish were slapping at it the land ratio wasn't good with the 802 and much better with a fast or even mod fast taper. If I was after a dedicated popper rod for big fish I would keep looking. I love my 802 but not for that.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:40 am

Thanks for all the comments