NRX 894c

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
frogman1963
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

NRX 894c

Post by frogman1963 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:33 pm

What are you guys using your NRX 894c rods for? How do they compare to the 873ccr or it's little bro the 854c? I've heard that the rod is miss labeled extra fast and suppose to be labeled fast. I've heard some people say its stronger than the 873ccr and some weaker. What weights can she handle, what's her sweet spot? I'm planning on using it for pitching t-rigs and jigs in mod heavy cover. I like the added length for pitching and hook sets. Thanks guys

frogman1963
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: NRX 894c

Post by frogman1963 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:40 pm

Also, how's the balance compared to the 873ccr? I will be using a Steez reel, not that I am real sensitive to tip heavy-ness, just curious. I find most of the NRX rods to be so light it doesn't matter.

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by iabass8 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:36 pm

I use mine solely for pitching and flipping jigs into heavy wood/brush/mod weeds. handles 3/8oz to 1oz jigs perfectly. I use 1/2oz 90% of the time and it is perfect for 1/2-3/4 jigs. 1oz isn't even pushing it which is odd given its lure ratings. It's deceivingly powerful for how light it is. I didn't think it had enough rod until i started using it in brush. It has power and I think it has more than the 873. I'd say it's pretty close to an XF but not st. croix XF if that makes sense. I thought the rod was annoyingly tip heavy (i'm OCD about this though, it doesn't bother everybody)but the blank was just amazing.I probably could have dealt /w the tip heaviness but I don't like split grips anyway. I had a local guy extend the butt 1/2inch, convert it to a full cork grip and balance it right under the reel seat (I have a tdz type r+ /w 7:1gears on it) for next to nothing. I wouldn't pay retail and do what I did to it but I am in the rod for under 375$ total so it's worth it. I have what I feel is the perfect rod I never want to put down.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:11 am

I have a steez on mine and use it mostly for Texas rigs from 1/4 oz plus plastic to 3/4 oz plus plastic. It's not balanced as well as the 893 but does not bother me. It's very light and hyper sensative. I can't compare it to the other rods you list.

Lucky Craft Man
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Lucky Craft Man » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:18 am

iabass8 wrote:I had a local guy extend the butt 1/2inch, convert it to a full cork grip and balance it right under the reel seat (I have a tdz type r+ /w 7:1gears on it) for next to nothing. I wouldn't pay retail and do what I did to it but I am in the rod for under 375$ total so it's worth it. I have what I feel is the perfect rod I never want to put down.
NRX Rod Modification, Nice! I've had a few modified and just those slight changes take that NRX from a great rod to something truly magical.

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:42 am

It fishes with more power than the 873 and way more than the 854.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:52 am

steve1206 wrote:It fishes with more power than the 873 and way more than the 854.
X2 I use it for punching 3/4-1oz+plastic and 3/4-1oz football jigs. Great heavy cover jig rod.

cumara
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cumara » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:59 am

I agree with all of the replies about power and lure weights. My go to for 1/2 - 3/4 jigs too. Crazy the amount of sensitivity that is transmitted through the NRX rods. I also agree that it feels somewhat tip heavy, but the pros outweigh the cons.

In regards to action/labeling: I ordered the 894c before it was available, so I got one of the first ones on the market. It was indeed labeled as Extra Fast, and action felt Extra Fast. The reel seat cracked a year or so later and the rod was replaced under warranty. I noticed that the new replacement rod fished a little different, a little softer and more moderate than what I had. It was months before I even noticed that it was now labeled as Fast, so I don't think I was imagining things. It does have a fast action now that feels different from my first one.

masterbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by masterbass » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:56 am

Wow, it sounds like there is a huge jump up in power from the 893.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:08 am

Both of my 894's are recent models and both labeled as fast action. I did a test with a 1.5oz weight on both the NRX894 vs. a 5 year old MBR844 GLX. I would have swore that the 894 had a softer tip then the 844 but my testing showed the tip of the 894 just a little stouter then the 844. I take it overall that the 894 is a little stouter rod then the age old reference of the MBR844. This test result implied to me that the 894 could eat up a 1oz lure and really did not overly deflect with a 1.5oz.

My original application for this rod was throwing 5 inch senko's over Florida Hydrilla with 20# FC line. Then I started burning zoom speed worms over the grass with a 3/8oz weight and was amazed I rarely missed a fish. Again 20# FC line. It was this nice hookup ratio on both baits that made me think the tip softer then my older 844 glx.

As I transitioned back to my home state of KY, I moved to bottom bouncing applications and the balance of my rig started to bother me a little. The addition of a .75cent Magic Slider Tip with several quarters in it ended that issue. In fact, I just got another pack of those magic slider tips today to put on other rods. On my last trip to Kentucky Lake I had a 3/4oz jig plus craw on one rig and a 3/4oz head and big plastic swim bait on the other. The swim bait was likely pushing 1/2oz. Rod throws both rigs effortlessly. Using 16# FC on both rigs. Have tried braid on these rods and not a big fan. Would be OK for punching though.

Last winter when I first got my first 894, I fished a 1/8oz shaky head and trick worm. Rig casted effortlessly.

The net of all this is that the 894 is a wonderful big bass tool when 16# or heavier FC line is required. It will throw well any weight from 1/4 to 1.25oz. The sweet spot would be between 1/2 to 3/4oz. Other then punching a 2oz weight or throwing a 4oz swimbait this rod does everything I need a heavy power rod to do. I am looking forward to trying it as a frog rod but have not had the opportunity yet.
Last edited by DavidSA on Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:09 am

I'm interested to buy same rod.
Can anyone confirm how that rod would work with:

1. Punching, flipping, pitching with flipping weight in 3/4-1Oz range + trailer Missle Baits D Bomb
2. Use it with hollow body frogs like 1/2Oz SPRO Bronzeye Shad with Sunline FX2 50lb
3. Deep diving crankbaits like Norman DD22, Megabass Deep-Six with lines like Sunline Defier or Mono to absorb that fast action.

I understand NRX is not ideal for cranking, but the styles I mentioned above I fish very rarely, and can't afford individual rod for each style.

Redfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Redfish » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:47 am

Cracker wrote:I'm interested to buy same rod.
Can anyone confirm how that rod would work with:

1. Punching, flipping, pitching with flipping weight in 3/4-1Oz range + trailer Missle Baits D Bomb
2. Use it with hollow body frogs like 1/2Oz SPRO Bronzeye Shad with Sunline FX2 50lb
3. Deep diving crankbaits like Norman DD22, Megabass Deep-Six with lines like Sunline Defier or Mono to absorb that fast action.

I understand NRX is not ideal for cranking, but the styles I mentioned above I fish very rarely, and can't afford individual rod for each style.
#1 and #2 I think would be right in the sweet spot for the 894, #3 not anywhere close. Could you throw a crankbait with the 894? I guess you could, but it certainly is not made for anything like that.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:12 am

Redfish is right on target. Perfect for #1. I just went out and put braided line and a frog on my 894. Casts a mile and seems to work the frog reasonably. I can't say perfection because I can't point the rod directly down from me standing on bank without hitting the rod in the water.

I don't think anyone on TT could say the 894 good for deep cranks. If you loosen your drag I think it could be used in a pinch. You would be much better off in my opinion using one of your 7ft MH fast action rods then the longer and stouter 894.

DChiWildcats
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DChiWildcats » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:53 am

I have 2 NRX 894's and I absolutely love them! I plan on adding another one because I like to keep my rods as simple and consistent as possible. I have one with a Metanium HG - 16# Sniper and use it for 3/8 - 1/2 Texas rigs. Mainly 10" Worms and Brush Hogs. The second one I bought has a Curado I 200 6.3:1 with 16# Sniper that I use exclusively for 1/2 - 1oz. single hook reaction baits. I throw paddle tails with it, California style swim jigs, Trash Fish (awesome Trash Fish rod!!!) 3/4 chatterbaits if I'm fishing them deep and slow, and just last night I slow rolled a big 3/4 oz spinnerbait in a night tournament. Super sensitive, good hook set. I know this rod could easily throw a frog and would make a great pitching stick to cover. It can do a lot which is why I want to add another one.

I got rid of my NRX 873 in order to fund another 894 to use for reaction baits. I will say that there is one technique I like the 873 more than the 894 and that is fishing a 3/8 - 1/2 football jig. The 873 was just effortless to lift, hop, and drag a deep water jig and I will be repurchasing one to use exclusively for that technique.

I know it's hard to bite the bullet on a $500 plus rod to throw reaction baits but I will say that the added sensitivity is so important when I am slow rolling spinnerbaits, paddletails, and swim jigs. I could feel every single turn of my spinnerbait blades, and could feel it bump every rock, tick every blade of grass, and loaded up perfectly when the one fish I hooked into blasted my spinnerbait. I think that the NRX 893, 894, and 873 make really nice reaction bait rods and I have fished tournaments with a couple guys that rave about the 893 as a 3/8 - 1/2 spinnerbait and swim jig rod. While it is labelled as extra fast it does have a really soft tip. I don't see the 894 with deep crank, a ton of other rods that are built for that technique. I do know a few Delta rats that use the 893 with squarebills and LV500's and believe me, they wouldn't be doing it if it wasn't ideal, too much money on the line. I have used the 893 to burn skinny dippers and it performed flawlessly not to mention could cast them much better than my 843 due to the extra 5 inches in length. Never lost a fish burning a dipper, and I mean burning it with a 7.6:1 Ci4.

Yes, NRX rods are built to be used as bottom contact rods but the 894 is so much more than that and I can't wait to add another one. Oh and lastly, I was up at the Delta in May and threw a big DM Double Hammer buzzbait with it. Only had two blowups but landed both fish. Those big double buzzbaits can feel like you are reeling in a tree limp but you still need a rod with some tip to let the fish take it, 894 did the job perfectly.

Anyone else like throwing the 893, 873, and 894 with reaction baits? How have your experiences been?

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:49 am

I've not thrown a buzzbait on my 894 but I think it would be great at it around heavy veggie! I have experienced first hand a day where I did nothing but burn worms as fast as a 7:1 could retrieve it over grass. Just like a Spinnerbait when the worm would deflect off the grass or be forced to pause the fish were killing it. Likely I boated 50. I did not catch 100% of my hits but it was not far off it and I figured the fish made the mistake not the rod or the holder :lol: