Edge black widow

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
H8R
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Edge black widow

Post by H8R » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:00 pm

KP Duty wrote:Crap dude...you paid for the 4g63 and got the Chrysler motor.

Hahah! Ohh no, not that! GS/RS FTL... Ha

Batson-Brands
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Batson-Brands » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:17 am

Well everyone has some great news now on Edge Rods!!
http://batsonenterprises.com/news/

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:13 am

Batson-Brands wrote:Well everyone has some great news now on Edge Rods!!
http://batsonenterprises.com/news/
NFC makes great blanks,they should stick with that. No Edge in my future.

SmallSmallie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SmallSmallie » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:17 am

I have no experience with EDGE but the NFC does make great blank. I've made a custom HM-FW662-1 for chasing smallie at sturgeon bay. I first thought it may lack in power but overall it did great, and the sensitivity is absurd. those goby hits felt like a solid bite. Reel and Rod combination weighed around 7.5oz. Blank itself weighed at .80 oz but it handled 4.7lb smallie fine :D

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:29 am

ALPS components are finest available in the industry. By adding them to Edge’s premium line of rods, they add proprietary high-grade titanium alloy, featuring the lowest carbon content while being 100% corrosion proof. With less than a .00001% failure on guides ALPS is the most trusted brand on fishing rods. Helping make Black Widow and First Strike rod lines the absolute finest rods on the market.
Finest in the industry, that's a pretty bold claim.
Maybe tackletour can do a head to head torture test with alps & Fuji, see who really has the best guides & guide rings in the industry.

Batson-Brands
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Batson-Brands » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:56 pm

We would love this! But lets be fair.. Lets have an independent source do the comparison! I think you will all be pleasantly surprised!

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:09 am

Batson-Brands wrote:We would love this! But lets be fair.. Lets have an independent source do the comparison! I think you will all be pleasantly surprised!
hmmm, this comment has me curious...is TT biased or paid to give better reviews to certain companies like fuji?

Batson-Brands
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Batson-Brands » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:38 am

No not at all. We feel that TT does a great job of telling non biased reviews. Im talking about a full on test lab! Someone that has nothing to do with the fishing industry. We have sent ours to have the ASTM-B117 salt spray corrosion test done etc..

If you anyone cares to read: http://alpsforecast.com/technology/craftsmanship/

But this is the only real true to test is to take various guides, put them through torture, from salt, to trying to make the rings groove etc.. to prove what is real. We have done this on our own for our own information, but the world of fishing should know.

I don't believe that TT has these instruments for testing, but I could be wrong. This is why we said an independent source.

Martin Lo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Martin Lo » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:38 pm

I use plenty of rods with both Alps (VA, SF) guides and Fujis. IMO both brands strengths over other competitors are the same. Good quality, sturdy frames firmly clamping down on well polished guide rings.

Try as I might I couldn't discern improved performance in other "game changers" yet, whether it be waves or 5Gs. Fuji and Alps have proven sturdy and reliable, that's enough for me.

Oh both also have some nice new seat designs for bass rods (PTS,TVS,MVT..etc) with Alps holding the crown for the heavy SW seats.

Batson-Brands wrote:No not at all. We feel that TT does a great job of telling non biased reviews. Im talking about a full on test lab! Someone that has nothing to do with the fishing industry. We have sent ours to have the ASTM-B117 salt spray corrosion test done etc..

If you anyone cares to read: http://alpsforecast.com/technology/craftsmanship/

But this is the only real true to test is to take various guides, put them through torture, from salt, to trying to make the rings groove etc.. to prove what is real. We have done this on our own for our own information, but the world of fishing should know.

I don't believe that TT has these instruments for testing, but I could be wrong. This is why we said an independent source.