Help choosing a new rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
heyitzpetah
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Help choosing a new rod

Post by heyitzpetah » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:34 am

Hi, I am planning on getting the metanium 13 HG and I need help choosing a good rod to pair with it. I am generally looking for an all purpose rod. Something to throw 1/8-3/8 weights, sensitive for bottom contact, and some light cranks/jerks. My budget is probably < 300$ give or take. Any suggestions will be appreciated, thanks!

Revofisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Help choosing a new rod

Post by Revofisher » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:22 pm

i had my mets on nrx rods and loved them. one of my favorite combos was the nrx 853 met i used it for smaller texas rigs, jigs, swim jigs, ext it was acually very versatile. I have not fished the mbr nrx but that rod would actually be more versatile for the cranks and what not due to the fast tip instead of the ex fast tip of the 853 jwr. you can usually get a used one for a little over 300.00 or a good deal on tackle trap sometimes when they have rep samples.

another choice would be the megabass orochi xx rods they are very versatile and run in that 300 dollar price range new. they have tapers more ideal for a do a little of everything kind of rod. Plus the metanium looks very good on these rods as well they match up nicely together.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:02 pm

I'd like to help but you are too vague in your description and the weights make it even tougher. Based on the info I'd say you are looking at 3 rods, 1 for light stuff, 1 for cranks and jerks, and another for bottom contact. There are certain rods that you can throw a worm and/or jig and fish a shallow crank or maybe a mid depth but going down to 1/8oz and still use the same type of baits has me scratching my head. What kind of length are you looking at? What specific baits are you throwing? It sounds like you are looking for a BFS or light action rod but it is hard to tell. If you wouldn't mind including some more information I'm sure you can get some solid suggestions.

heyitzpetah
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by heyitzpetah » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:06 am

smalljaw wrote:I'd like to help but you are too vague in your description and the weights make it even tougher. Based on the info I'd say you are looking at 3 rods, 1 for light stuff, 1 for cranks and jerks, and another for bottom contact. There are certain rods that you can throw a worm and/or jig and fish a shallow crank or maybe a mid depth but going down to 1/8oz and still use the same type of baits has me scratching my head. What kind of length are you looking at? What specific baits are you throwing? It sounds like you are looking for a BFS or light action rod but it is hard to tell. If you wouldn't mind including some more information I'm sure you can get some solid suggestions.
I am looking at a 6'8-7'0 ft rod, M or MH action. I mainly throw light texas rigs, but would like a rod that can be used for various other applications if need be. Doesn't have to perform other tasks flawlessly, but would be nice to have the option to tie on something else.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:15 am

xx diablo. all pourpose do almost everything rod. i dare anybody say there's a better rod under $300 :lol:

heyitzpetah
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by heyitzpetah » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:58 am

Seems like I gotta check out the Orchi xx. Though, do you guys have any shorter rods in mind? I do a lot of bank fishing as well and there's a lot of trees/bushes/structure around me and I don't want to accidentally smack my rod into anything :oops:

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:28 am

heyitzpetah wrote:Seems like I gotta check out the Orchi xx. Though, do you guys have any shorter rods in mind? I do a lot of bank fishing as well and there's a lot of trees/bushes/structure around me and I don't want to accidentally smack my rod into anything :oops:
glx 783 mbr. u still might be able to find one on here or bbc

bigreddog
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigreddog » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:42 am

For the 1/8 - 3/8 weight range you're looking at, I'm not sure anything in the Megabass Orochi XX line will suit your needs.

I'd suggest that you might want to look into the new Megabass Hyuga 64L, though I don't have any actual experience with this specific rod or even the line. Also, you might also want to think about the Aldebaran rather than the Metanium if you're going that light.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:51 am

bigreddog wrote:For the 1/8 - 3/8 weight range you're looking at, I'm not sure anything in the Megabass Orochi XX line will suit your needs.

I'd suggest that you might want to look into the new Megabass Hyuga 64L, though I don't have any actual experience with this specific rod or even the line. Also, you might also want to think about the Aldebaran rather than the Metanium if you're going that light.
i agree, on the low end of that weight range, i wouldn't recommend the xx rods or the metanium reel either

heyitzpetah
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by heyitzpetah » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:17 am

I thought about getting the aldebaran over the metanium, but the line capacity kinda worries me. I did take a look at the hyuga before and it looks like a good rod at an affordable price, but I can't seem to find many people with experience with it.

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hulkster » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:35 pm

I am generally looking for an all purpose rod. Something to throw 1/8-3/8 weights, sensitive for bottom contact, and some light cranks/jerks.
I know you are looking at a baitcasting setup, but for this weight range and uses, the Loomis SJR842 GL3 spinning rod is tough to beat. I use this rod for the exact things you are looking for, all purpose stuff on the lighter end (eg. 1/4 oz cranks, small jigs, rapalas etc)

not sure if a spinning rig might be a better rod to go with given the weight range you are looking at??

heyitzpetah
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by heyitzpetah » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:44 pm

Hulkster wrote:
I am generally looking for an all purpose rod. Something to throw 1/8-3/8 weights, sensitive for bottom contact, and some light cranks/jerks.
I know you are looking at a baitcasting setup, but for this weight range and uses, the Loomis SJR842 GL3 spinning rod is tough to beat. I use this rod for the exact things you are looking for, all purpose stuff on the lighter end (eg. 1/4 oz cranks, small jigs, rapalas etc)

not sure if a spinning rig might be a better rod to go with given the weight range you are looking at??
Thanks for the suggestion. If i didn't already have a decent spinning setup I would have jumped on board with getting a versatile spinning combo. Currently, I just don't have a solid bait caster combo that I can be proud of :|

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:06 pm

Major Craft MSX Limited 69MH with a Met or Alphas SV.

http://www.plat.co.jp/shop/catalog/prod ... _id/25482/

DaveJ

heyitzpetah
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by heyitzpetah » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:29 pm

Originally, I thought I would just get the shimano poison adrena. But, I keep seeing majorcraft/megabass mentioned around these forums and the rods all look terrific. Sadly, I am not confident in purchasing a jdm brand rod that I haven't held or seen reviews of. Major Craft MSX is another example of this and the Megabass Orichi xx as well. Can somebody chime in on their experience with these two jdm brands for me? I would really appreciate it. Sorry if i'm asking for a bit much because I probably won't be able to buy another setup for awhile, so this combo needs to last me for the next 10 years haha.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:03 pm

heyitzpetah wrote:I thought about getting the aldebaran over the metanium, but the line capacity kinda worries me. I did take a look at the hyuga before and it looks like a good rod at an affordable price, but I can't seem to find many people with experience with it.
Don't worry, the metanium will handle those weights. Check out the phenix recon 2 medium lite?