Still in love with my 803!

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2621
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:30 pm

Re: Still in love with my 803!

Postby goldrod » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:03 pm

Not comparing the old GLX to the new , just opinions and observations
On the new one
Catch fish not feelings!!

bigfruits
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 405
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:58 am
Location: NoVA

Re: Still in love with my 803!

Postby bigfruits » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:31 pm

goldrod - i have not heard much about the newer glx 803. is there a reason youre looking for a "short" rod?

i still use the old BCR version. i even bought a spare a few years ago because i was scared of breaking it. still have the original and spare and no plans on selling them. its still one of the most sensitive rods i own (GLX, NRX, LE, Destroyer) - in the top 3 for sure. i love pitching with a 6'8".

usually has a 1/4 oz arky jighead and yamamoto DT hula grub tied on.

still hanging onto all of my old GLXs. bcr 802 and 803. mbr 782,842,783,843,844. 803 and 783 get the most use.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2621
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:30 pm

Re: Still in love with my 803!

Postby goldrod » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:57 pm

bigfruits wrote:goldrod - i have not heard much about the newer glx 803. is there a reason youre looking for a "short" rod?

i still use the old BCR version. i even bought a spare a few years ago because i was scared of breaking it. still have the original and spare and no plans on selling them. its still one of the most sensitive rods i own (GLX, NRX, LE, Destroyer) - in the top 3 for sure. i love pitching with a 6'8".

usually has a 1/4 oz arky jighead and yamamoto DT hula grub tied on.

still hanging onto all of my old GLXs. bcr 802 and 803. mbr 782,842,783,843,844. 803 and 783 get the most use.



Although it was an impulse buy, it was best suited for my needs for the Conquest 50.
I was on the Trap website about to pull on the Hein or even another SFMS. but I grabbed my SFMS and said no.
I have a GLX no version flip stick with a Z2020 on it and it’s good for what it is. Since I was getting insulting offers on the conquest I decided to seek a rod for it
Simply for poppers but the 803c may not work for it. All in all I just needed something to justify keeping the reel.

The GLX was not purchased at cost either.
Catch fish not feelings!!

bigfruits
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 405
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:58 am
Location: NoVA

Re: Still in love with my 803!

Postby bigfruits » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:08 pm

sorry, read this the other day and didnt realize you already had it. im very surprised you didnt get good offers on that 50. if it was a 51, i might have got it from you!

while ive not fished the new 803, i have fished plenty of loomis 3 powers. i think it will make a good shallow water light jig and worm rod. maybe senkos and other heavier weightless plastics. the hein is a great rod but very different from a xf glx 3 power type of rod. hopefully someone with experience will chime in.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2621
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:30 pm

Re: Still in love with my 803!

Postby goldrod » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:11 pm

I saw a video on the Hein and I couldn’t tell how much backbone it had but without confirmation I wasn’t going to pull the trigger
I have an nrx 894 I think. The green one and in my opinion the balance is horrible without the
Cap and quarters I used. I appreciate the feedback, the 803 should be here by the end of the week

I’ve caught 5lb bass on that cq50 using top water baits and that feeling is stronger than any drug.
I love it for poppers and other small topwater baits

If the rod doesn’t work out maybe what I learn from it will help somebody else.
I just noticed that most of the information on that rod is on the previous version.
Catch fish not feelings!!

BoatBuggy
Angler
Angler
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:53 am
Location: Eastern Ontario

Re: Still in love with my 803!

Postby BoatBuggy » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:28 pm

goldrod wrote:Simply for poppers but the 803c may not work for it. All in all I just needed something to justify keeping the reel.


I used my NRX 803c for poppers.....until I got an NRX 802c and that's all I use for poppers now. The tip is very fast and it doesn't take much to move a popper. 90% of my popper fishing is for smallies and it'll handle 4-5 lbers without a problem. These days I use my NRX 803c mostly for skipping flukes and open water t-rigs.

I kinda wish you got the Hein. I've been eyeballing it to chuck spybaits but there's very little real-world info out there on the Hein.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2621
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:30 pm

Re: Still in love with my 803!

Postby goldrod » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:01 pm

BoatBuggy wrote:
goldrod wrote:Simply for poppers but the 803c may not work for it. All in all I just needed something to justify keeping the reel.


I used my NRX 803c for poppers.....until I got an NRX 802c and that's all I use for poppers now. The tip is very fast and it doesn't take much to move a popper. 90% of my popper fishing is for smallies and it'll handle 4-5 lbers without a problem. These days I use my NRX 803c mostly for skipping flukes and open water t-rigs.

I kinda wish you got the Hein. I've been eyeballing it to chuck spybaits but there's very little real-world info out there on the Hein.



I’ll see by the weeks end.
Hopefully I can get on the water. Alone!!
And phone will definitely be OFF
Catch fish not feelings!!

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2184
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:04 pm
Location: Northern Kentucky

Re: Still in love with my 803!

Postby DavidSA » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:01 pm

so Z has my old 803 as a "spare". Just outstanding rod. I still have a BSR852 spinning as I never found a spinning rod I liked better. The 803 is so good with 14# FC line around "normal cover".

My belief is the new GLX 803 is more moderate like the NRX 803 I used to have. Though the NRX was a tad slower it was better suited for light rigs because it loaded easier then the stiffer GLX. Sensitivity was a draw to me.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2184
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:04 pm
Location: Northern Kentucky

Re: Still in love with my 803!

Postby DavidSA » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:06 pm

and guys, if you like the old 803glx and want something more powerful the 2017 era Kistler Zbone 7'3H exfast is to me the 803 longer, stronger and just as silly fast.

bigfruits
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 405
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:58 am
Location: NoVA

Re: Still in love with my 803!

Postby bigfruits » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:16 pm

man, your kistler reviews and stuff ive read in the past makes me really want to get one. please dont tell me they have something similar to the xpeditor service.

i still have my old 852glx. the nrx 852s "feels" a little less powerful and has a bit more tip. i know you dislike spinning but if youre ever in the market for an all around spinning, i couldnt think of a better choice.
Last edited by bigfruits on Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2184
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:04 pm
Location: Northern Kentucky

Re: Still in love with my 803!

Postby DavidSA » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:26 pm

bigfruits wrote:man, your kistler reviews and stuff ive read in the past makes me really want to get one. please dont tell me they have something similar to the xpeditor service.


I've not had to test a warranty claim. I've only broken like 3 rods in the last 20 years so I am easy on equipment. The good news is they changed the zbone line so what I'm talking about is not available any longer =D> =D> thought the new model might be better.

The bad news is the Kistler HE3 line is still in production and the one model I have is just incredible as well. Honestly better then my old school GLX MBR rods. I think the blanks Kistler is getting from the Gary Loomis company are very good. These things don't have the bling many seek but if minimal design and performance are your thing then they are great. Buy them direct from Kistler on a sale and the value is pretty great as well.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2621
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:30 pm

Re: Still in love with my 803!

Postby goldrod » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:45 pm

Kinda why I am cautious of the Hein
Kistler Rods H3 I have I am very happy with
Not the heavy but the one I have I’ll list when I get home


That being said ,given the specs of the Hein I can see that the kH3 May be the better option

Anyways got the 803 in and the 50 conquest goes great with it. I’m on the water tomorrow hopefully
Catch fish not feelings!!

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2184
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:04 pm
Location: Northern Kentucky

Re: Still in love with my 803!

Postby DavidSA » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:25 am

goldrod wrote:
Anyways got the 803 in and the 50 conquest goes great with it. I’m on the water tomorrow hopefully


Give us an updated and confirm if it is the new model you are fishing. The old model 803 was stout enough that I could pitch with it in moderate cover. Only reason I sold mine to Z is I found something longer was an advantage in dragging fish out of the heavy florida vegetation I fish so often.


Return to “Rods”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: rollyourboat and 14 guests