Archangel

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Archangel

Post by spookybaits » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:50 am

Could be that it's a tester/pre-production rod.

H8R
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by H8R » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:02 am

I agree! Cork looks the same quality has my omen... And that cork was pretty rough... Even for 100$ for!

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:27 am

Traybird wrote:Image
Thanks for posting all those pictures.
Does the rod come with a hook hanger?

Traybird
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Traybird » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:49 am

no it does not. I love this rod tho! :big grin:

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:28 am

Traybird wrote:no it does not. I love this rod tho! :big grin:
I'm glad you love the rod. I'm just surprised it doesn't come with a hook hanger.

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:02 am

Many, many high end rods do not. It's like a race car not coming with a radio. I am not sure what the shock is...

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:07 am

BucketHunter wrote:Many, many high end rods do not. It's like a race car not coming with a radio. I am not sure what the shock is...
I'm pretty sure hook hangers don't ruin either the function or the aesthetic of a rod, so why not wrap them on at the factory?
Just because "many high end rods do not" doesn't mean it isn't a good idea, and isn't very useful when you're actually using the rod, as opposed to standing there admiring it.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:22 am

most jdm rods don't have keepers. it prevents blank scratch or damage from the lure\tungsten.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:30 am

cndbasshunter wrote:most jdm rods don't have keepers. it prevents blank scratch or damage from the lure\tungsten.
I would think it would actually lead to more damage, either to guides used as hook hangers, to the handle cork being used to anchor a hook/lure, or to a reel, when a hook is attached to the reel as a hook hanger.
If I buy a rod and it doesn't have a hook hanger, I wrap one on before I ever fish it.

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:41 am

I think they leave you to not use one or get a daiwa/fuji hook keeper and you could place them where ever you want it. That way nobody complains that they don't like that kind of keeper or it is on the wrong side/spot. I often see used rods with bent or the expoy around them crack easily after use and those daiwa/fuji ones are relatively cheap.

bassm1n
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassm1n » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:20 am

They must be too interested in selling them .i emailed a week ago asking some questions. Still no response

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:31 am

mark poulson wrote:
cndbasshunter wrote:most jdm rods don't have keepers. it prevents blank scratch or damage from the lure\tungsten.
I would think it would actually lead to more damage, either to guides used as hook hangers, to the handle cork being used to anchor a hook/lure, or to a reel, when a hook is attached to the reel as a hook hanger.
If I buy a rod and it doesn't have a hook hanger, I wrap one on before I ever fish it.
You would be wrong. My rods without hangers are spotless. Hooking in the cork is even dumber. Big single hooks go on the handle knob. Treble baits come off the snap which gets harmlessly hooked on the stripper guide. On the handle knob during the day. It's not that hard. For a guy that wraps his own so often and easily, I am suprised it's even a big deal. Go figure. I'll take the minimal weight savings, without the chance it's in a spot I hate or being tempted to use it and scar up my rods.

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:33 am

bassm1n wrote:They must be too interested in selling them .i emailed a week ago asking some questions. Still no response
Makes you think twice about their customer support when you can't even get them to read the email from a potential buyer.

bassm1n
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassm1n » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:36 am

Must be following the megabass business model

DammitKhoa
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DammitKhoa » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:03 pm

BucketHunter wrote:
mark poulson wrote:
You would be wrong. My rods without hangers are spotless. Hooking in the cork is even dumber. Big single hooks go on the handle knob. Treble baits come off the snap which gets harmlessly hooked on the stripper guide. On the handle knob during the day. It's not that hard. For a guy that wraps his own so often and easily, I am suprised it's even a big deal. Go figure. I'll take the minimal weight savings, without the chance it's in a spot I hate or being tempted to use it and scar up my rods.
I'm with you on that. Not a big deal to me and I often find the hook keepers in annoying spots