Perfect spinning for rivers

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Grothmog
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Perfect spinning for rivers

Post by Grothmog » Fri May 08, 2015 7:56 pm

Hello Everyone! I'm new to the forum, I'm looking for advice in choosing perfect rod for my father 60th birthday, unfortunetly myself i have very little knowledge about fishing. So far i have been looking at rods by evergreen or megabass however there is just too much parameters for me to choose optimal one. My father usually fishes perch and pike at medium sized rivers.

Could You help me find optimal rod?

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Perfect spinning for rivers

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Sat May 09, 2015 3:21 am

I like your style. I, too, have purchased my father some nice equipment. You mention Perch and Pike, so you'll need versatile. You mention medium river, so you'll need length to obtain distance.

I don't know about Megabass or Evergreen, but I do know you'll like this. Not too pricey and very nice. Your dad will love it.

http://www.cloudninetackle.jp/product/3571

Length: 9'3" (2 Piece) | Weight: 127g | Lure Weight: 7-35g | Line Weight: 6-16lb

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Sat May 09, 2015 4:36 am

Pikes basically eat perches. Might need two different rods.

Grothmog
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Grothmog » Sat May 09, 2015 7:13 pm

@slipperybob

I know that but I'm 99% sure that my father would prefer one more universal rod.

FrankW
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FrankW » Sat May 09, 2015 9:18 pm

Hi Grothmog,

Perch and Pike is quite a challenge. Since you are river fishing there is a good chance that the Pike are not huge. So that might make it easier. Since you don't have much knowledge as to what is needed I have some suggestions.

1. Get him a custom built rod by a great builder. Give you dad a card with a Receipt for a Custom Built rod of his choice. You pick out the builder and make the arrangements. That way he can have input as to what he really wants instead of us/you guessing.

2. Get a gift card with a dealer that sells the rods you are interested in.

3. Go to Kistler Rods and have them build the rod. They will work with you and try to get something that works. They have a custom rod program. Again I would not buy the rod but make the arrangements and pay for it.

I know it is nice to have a rod in hand on his birthday but more than likely you will miss the target on what he might want. Speaking for my self, if anyone was going to spend a lot of money for a rod for me, I would love to have some input so it is perfect. I would think of the buyer every time I used it. My wife has given me lots of rods over our life together and she has never got it right. I cherish the rods but seldom use them.

Frank

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Sat May 09, 2015 9:44 pm

X2

Rods are such a personal thing and everyone fishes differently.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Mon May 11, 2015 4:17 pm

Yes everyone has their own preferences. I think most rods of versatility are going to be medium power, and most everyone would have one of those. I personally have no problem using a heavy power fast action 7 feet rod for perch or panfish. Although I prefer this rod for my pikes and catfishes. About near twenty years ago I bought this rod from Cabela's brand. Still one of my favorite and most used spinning rods. I find this is also very useful in small rivers when I need to keep fish from swimming into snagpiles. River panfish are powerful swimmers.

Bass1980
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bass1980 » Mon May 11, 2015 10:05 pm

How big does the pike get? That will be easier for everyone to help. Many small rivers around my area pikes are small, the ones you typically catch anyways. The giant 40+ inch pikes are rare.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Tue May 12, 2015 6:15 am

Any pikes over 30" in length are rare. I think the most common decent sized are 20-24" in length. Some places just have small size pikes under 20", especially when summer temps warms up. The big guys goes deep for cooler temp.

Bass1980
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bass1980 » Wed May 13, 2015 12:28 pm

I'd suggest giving Gary a call at The Tackle Trap. I called him to discuss on an Evoluzion Elseil rod and we ended up talking for 40 minutes or so on all these different rods and topics. For such a busy guy he really gives you the time to help you pick the right rod for your specific needs. With your mentioning Megabass or Evergreen your budget is wide open.

Grothmog
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Grothmog » Thu May 14, 2015 5:58 pm

@Bass1980
The pikes at max would be around 10 kg (20 ibs), most common would be 4-8 kg.

I'm really considering Demon Power Commander a sit's easily available from Europe

Unfortunately giving voucher to my father is not an option he probably wouldn't accept it, I tried gently asking him before about rod he just said that "one beer" is fine for him for a present.

I found recommended custom rod maker in my country however choosing rod components myself would end up completely random :( (btw are resonance handles really worth it?).

bigreddog
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigreddog » Fri May 15, 2015 4:36 am

Among Megabass spinning rods, I'd give the Destroyer Black Jungle F3-83xsbj Count Up serious consideration.