Opinions on a new DS rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
fishindad
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Opinions on a new DS rod

Post by fishindad » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:31 am

If I remember correctly, AM used his XX dropshot rod to almost win the Bassmaster event over here on LSC last year, the one Chris Lane won fishing Lake Huron. Aaron boated numerous big smallies dropshotting out on Point Pelee using that rod so I am sure it can handle whatever you need. I'm sure the NRX rods are sweet but they are also 2x the cost. FWIW I use a DX702 Extreme for dropshotting smallies on LSC and would 'guess' the XX is very similar in power and action.

slime king
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by slime king » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:20 am

I really like my dobyns 742 dx for great lakes smallmouths. I has plenty of power to fish a 3/8 or 1/2 oz dropshot weight in windy conditions yet has enough tip still to work the baits well. I have had cumara's , loomis DS series and a fuego ds model but the 742dx is a perfect fit for me.

Derek777
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Derek777 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:26 pm

i use an eiger northwall/t3 air setup and its about as perfect as you can get for dropshotting.

legendaryyaj
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by legendaryyaj » Sun May 31, 2015 10:21 am

Update:

Picked up the Orochi XX A-Mart DS rod and it's more than powerful enough for the Smallies. I'm not sure if I'm a fan of the smaller guides on it. They are tangle free but I found that they would catch the line and then on the cast they would free themselves and cause the cast to go out weird. Don't know how to explain that very well but I hope it makes sense. Also another thing that was disappointing was the metal decorative ring that is on the locking nut came off. Nothing major as I can glue it back on but it was sort of disappointing. It certainly doesn't feel whippy and I don't have the confidence to bend it like A-Mart does in one of his videos showcasing the rod.

Here's a clip with my first trip out with the rod:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=196&v=aKmM9xkM2qo

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Sun May 31, 2015 5:36 pm

Love my 852c NRX, used it today for shakeyhead and it excellent :)

I have the 803s and wish I would have gotten the 852s instead ...

rubs96
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rubs96 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:21 pm

Definitely the NRX 822S DSR would be my choice even if used (with the budget of $350 you most likel will have to).

Incredible rod. Unbelievable sensitivity. I fished it with a CI4 1000FML and 10lb. Nanofil but I'll be trying it with a CI4+ 3000F and 6lb. fluoro this year