crucial 7mh crankbait rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
reddragon
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

crucial 7mh crankbait rod

Post by reddragon » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:14 am

What are your thoughts on this rod? My buddy has one lying around that he is willing to sell me for less than $100. Only thing is he's out of state so I can't fish it first... Your experiences would be greatly appreciated.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: crucial 7mh crankbait rod

Post by DavidSA » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:43 am

Mine is an older model with full rear and front cork. Don't know what year your buddy has.

My model is rather stout. Somewhere power wise between a Loomis 845 and 847 crankbait rod. Certainly a little faster action then the 845. Rod has served me very well and I have kept it in Florida for last 5 years at my Dad's place for Traps and mid-size cranks. Have used it as a buzzbait and spinnerbait rod too.

For guys that like a very moderate crankbait rod they did not like it. I have had almost no fish come unbuttoned so that fact it rather fast for a CB rod has not made me any difference.

reddragon
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by reddragon » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:46 am

I believe he has the most recent EVA grip models. I never felt this rod before but he's giving me a pretty good deal and I'm in need of a new crank rod, so I'm considering it.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:41 pm

specs on the newest crucial 7MH same as the model I own. My best guess is action of blank has not changed since original release. as I wrote, if you like a true moderate rod for cranking then this is not the rod for you. I have enjoyed mine but I seemed to be in the minority on this rod.

fishballer06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fishballer06 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:35 pm

I have the newest model in the 7' M cranking model. It's a great rod for wiggle warts, smaller squarebills, DT4/6, and 1/4-1/2oz. rattletraps. If you can get it for under $100 and it's in good shape, I would do it.

reddragon
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by reddragon » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:07 am

Being that this rod has a faster tip than an avg crank rod, would you say that it also would work with jerkbaits and topwater? Seems like a more versatile rod with the little faster tip?

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:38 am

reddragon wrote:Being that this rod has a faster tip than an avg crank rod, would you say that it also would work with jerkbaits and topwater? Seems like a more versatile rod with the little faster tip?
exactly

I just treat it as a moving bait rod rather then comparing it to a glass crankbait rod