Broken G Loomis Rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
quantum angler nt
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Broken G Loomis Rod

Post by quantum angler nt » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:41 am

Hey All,

So I ordered a MBR783 GLX from an authorized Loomis dealer. I got it from UPS today and the rod tube was mostly severed and the top half was bent at an angle. When I pulled the rod out of the tube, there was no noticeable damage, but it just didn't feel right. It was like the balance on the rod was off from being stuck in a bent position for days during shipping. I called the retailer and they are looking into what they can do for me. I don't want to go through the UPS claims process, because that will be a pain in the butt. Anyone have any suggestions on what to do?

Thanks,
QNT

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Broken G Loomis Rod

Post by BucketHunter » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:22 am

So it's broken? Or not? I am confused. It is now unbalanced because of damage during shipping? Or am I just reading that wrong?
Is it bent?
From my understanding, it takes a lot of time and possibly heat to permanently deform a graphite blank. If it has a bend in it, it was probably there from the factory.

For future, don't ever accept and sign for a broken package from any delivery service. Once you do, you are consenting that it arrived in good condition and that you now own responsibility for the well being of the item.

quantum angler nt
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by quantum angler nt » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:27 am

So I didn't accept the rod, it was dropped off at my apartment office and the receptionist signed for it. She said that UPS noted the damage since the tube was mostly severed. Although there is no visible damage to the blank (e.g., dents, etc.), when I pick the rod up it feels like it may be slightly bent or something is off with its balance. I can see why based on how the tube looks.... Does that make it clearer?

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:39 am

It's either slightly bent or it's not, you should be able to sight down the blank with one eye open like a gun and be able to tell immediately. If there is no damage to the blank and it is bent, it was bent from the factory. If you aren't quite sure if it's bent of not, I am assuming it's not bent much and many blanks have a slight curve or bend. It won't affect anything really but I will be honest about less than straight blanks driving me nuts.
As far as the balance being off because of damage, that's a pretty crazy notion. Unless parts were lost (or miraculously added) during transit, the rods balance is the way it was manufactured. Nothing can change that.

Here's my suggestion. Put a reel on it and spool it up. Either go fishing or cast it in the yard. Tie off to a stationary object and put a couple of good hooksets through it. Put a good bend in it and hold it. If it doesn't break, it's fine. If it happens to break from that point on, well that's what warranty's are for.

If it's not damaged but it's got a slight bend and it's unbalanced, it's not from the rod tube being damaged. That's just not possible. It's just the way the rod was made.

Redfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Redfish » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:30 am

If you can't prove damage they won't even accept a claim. I am guessing that the seller won't either. It is either broken or it isn't.

quantum angler nt
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by quantum angler nt » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:36 pm

Okay guys, I understand. I guess I was just worried since I paid so much money for the rod, I want it to be perfect.

reddragon
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by reddragon » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:43 am

Easy way to tell if its bent or broken, is to just look down the guides, they should all line up.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:01 pm

A rod isn't going to get bent from shipping. That doesn't happen.

Its entirely possible that the blank wasn't straight when it was built.

And, as others have said, it either is broken or it isn't. And that is very obvious. That's not to say that it didn't get damaged and the first time you put a load on it, it breaks.

MondayMonkey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MondayMonkey » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:07 am

Who was the retailer? I would send it back show the retailer the pictures** you took of the box condition you should have no problem getting an exchange. There may be no visible damage but that doesn't mean the rod isn't weakened by what happened to it. I've had similar experiences as I have rods sent to me at work and the receptionists sign no matter how bad it is. One case was with ALF and the other TW both allowed me to ship back the rod for exchange at no cost to myself.

**if you didn't take pictures of the "unopened" damaged box/tube shame on you ;) always always document the unboxing if there is any sign there was damage during shipping.

BigAl23
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by BigAl23 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:20 am

That rod might not look damaged but once you put torque on it, it may break. I had two Black Crucial spinnerbait rods that both broke about 3 inches from the tip. The first one broke right out of the tube when I put some pressure on it. The second broke after catching a 3lb bass. Both rods came from the same tackle store and the reason I didn't buy a third.