Looking for ideas for a decent Jig Rod and Topwater Rod.

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Darth Baiter
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Looking for ideas for a decent Jig Rod and Topwater Rod.

Post by Darth Baiter » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:20 pm

Hey Guys, I'm looking for either one (or one of both) decent Topwater and Jig rod. I will be mostly throwing topwaters from 1/8-1/2, and jigs from 1/8-1 oz. I'm kind of on a budget, so I am looking for something $150 and under. My dream big rod would be the Dobyns Mike Long Rod, but I can't afford that right now. Any ideas? :D

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Looking for ideas for a decent Jig Rod and Topwater Rod.

Post by smalljaw » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:07 pm

I'm not sure if you are going to find a casting rod that can throw a 1/8oz topwater that will also work with a 1/2oz bait for $150 or less. The same for the jig rod, for it to have enough tip to throw 1/8oz and not be overloaded to throw 1oz also is going to be hard to find and almost impossible at the price point. What kind of lengths are you looking at for the rods, I'm assuming you will want something a little shorter for the topwater rod and some significant length on the jig rod, those types of things will help with rod suggestions.

Darth Baiter
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Darth Baiter » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:58 am

smalljaw wrote:I'm not sure if you are going to find a casting rod that can throw a 1/8oz topwater that will also work with a 1/2oz bait for $150 or less. The same for the jig rod, for it to have enough tip to throw 1/8oz and not be overloaded to throw 1oz also is going to be hard to find and almost impossible at the price point. What kind of lengths are you looking at for the rods, I'm assuming you will want something a little shorter for the topwater rod and some significant length on the jig rod, those types of things will help with rod suggestions.

Something somewhere from 6'6- 8 foot. I havent seen a Dobyns Mike long Jig Rod up close and personal, but I bet I could chuck a 1/8oz jig with a trailer on it far enough. I'll probably be doing more swimming and casting jigs than anything.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:23 pm

tatula or klx. u can find both for under $150

reddragon
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by reddragon » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:39 am

jwfflipper14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jwfflipper14 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:10 am

Chode wrote:tatula or klx. u can find both for under $150
And the new Kistler Magnesium Senko rod. although it is 170.00 but well worth it!!

Jeff

Darth Baiter
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Darth Baiter » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:09 pm

jwfflipper14 wrote:
And the new Kistler Magnesium Senko rod. although it is 170.00 but well worth it!!

Jeff
Looking for a Jig/ and or Topwater rod, not Senko rod. Has anybody tried the new Abu Garcia Iaconelli rods yet? I'm looking at those now...

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:29 pm

If you want something to be many things, you can't worry about what it says on the side of the rod.
Do you think you are going to find one marked "Jig and/or Topwater Rod"?
You are asking for two techniques at opposite ends of the spectrum for $150. Someone should just come out and answer what is the easiest question ever asked. It's been answered many times.
You need a 7'MH. That's called an all around rod. For $150, read some reviews, handle a few and buy the one you like the colour of the most.
Seriously, we aren't chasing down a unicorn here. It's a 7'MH casting stick. There is no magic bullet. To do many things ok, it isn't going to do any one thing great. And it certainly isn't going to be a great jig AND topwater rod.
13 Fishing Omen 7'1 MH or M for 100 bucks at TW plus shipping. Save yourself the extra cash. The fine tip will allow you to cast light baits and walk topwaters and the backbone is everything you'd need for a stick that isn't solely dedicated to heavy cover. As a warning, their backbones are pretty stiff, you may want to go with a Medium if you aren't fishing much cover/wont see any fish over 5lbs very often.
You won't find a better stick under $150.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:57 pm

BucketHunter wrote:If you want something to be many things, you can't worry about what it says on the side of the rod.
Do you think you are going to find one marked "Jig and/or Topwater Rod"?
You are asking for two techniques at opposite ends of the spectrum for $150. Someone should just come out and answer what is the easiest question ever asked. It's been answered many times.
You need a 7'MH. That's called an all around rod. For $150, read some reviews, handle a few and buy the one you like the colour of the most.
Seriously, we aren't chasing down a unicorn here. It's a 7'MH casting stick. There is no magic bullet. To do many things ok, it isn't going to do any one thing great. And it certainly isn't going to be a great jig AND topwater rod.
13 Fishing Omen 7'1 MH or M for 100 bucks at TW plus shipping. Save yourself the extra cash. The fine tip will allow you to cast light baits and walk topwaters and the backbone is everything you'd need for a stick that isn't solely dedicated to heavy cover. As a warning, their backbones are pretty stiff, you may want to go with a Medium if you aren't fishing much cover/wont see any fish over 5lbs very often.
You won't find a better stick under $150.
i agree. forgot bout the omen. might as well take advantage of the tw stimulus sale

Darth Baiter
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Darth Baiter » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:51 pm

First of all, I know those are two types of baits to throw, with different rod actions, so I am looking for two different rods. I said either one or both, so I am Ok with getting two rods. Second, I believe they can be found , even if they are used. And third, TWs sale is over. But thank you for the help anyway! I'm starting to lean towards the new Ike rods, unless i see or hear of some more good ideas.

jwfflipper14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jwfflipper14 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:52 am

Darth Baiter wrote:
jwfflipper14 wrote:

Jeff
Looking for a Jig/ and or Topwater rod, not Senko rod. Has anybody tried the new Abu Garcia Iaconelli rods yet? I'm looking at those now...
your right, but you obviously didn't look at the specs of the rod. And it's not a rod solely for senkos. It works great for either method.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:29 am

Darth Baiter wrote:First of all, I know those are two types of baits to throw, with different rod actions, so I am looking for two different rods. I said either one or both, so I am Ok with getting two rods. Second, I believe they can be found , even if they are used. And third, TWs sale is over. But thank you for the help anyway! I'm starting to lean towards the new Ike rods, unless i see or hear of some more good ideas.
with ur tone, i doubt anyone would want to help u further