Hands down best DROP SHOT rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Gblaze
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Hands down best DROP SHOT rod

Post by Gblaze » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:16 am

Spring is not upon us up here in the NE. So, stuck in the gates - gave the monkey enough down time to convince me to change up my drop shot rod in my line-up. ](*,)

Currently using the NRX DSR - which has served me well for 3 years- but I am looking to replace similar quality with a little more bling factor if possible.

The Simoom calls - just not sure - and would like to explore any/all options for drop shotting rods out there. Which rod has the IT factor in the DS dept?

Thanks

trevorvandam
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Hands down best DROP SHOT rod

Post by trevorvandam » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:57 am

Lamiglass certifed pro drop shot special 702. Sadly, they are no longer made anymore. They used to retail of about $180. it's super light, very sensitive and has a good soft tip. Just keep a look out for them

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:16 am

Have the XX Shakeyhead and Steez AGS now like them allot. The 822 isn't bad but i found too little power, the 852 is nicer rod for me.

tioke
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by tioke » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:18 am

maybe the 13 fishing archangel rod?

sydaar
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by sydaar » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:02 am

I have the Edge 6100 that I use for drop shot and couldn't say enough good things about it (see the Holiday 2013 post for a short review). I know some aren't very happy with how they released their recent series of rods but this is the best balanced rod I own. Great build with a soft tip. Also have the Simoom (that I haven't fished yet) but I would think the X7 2.5 Powerhouse may be a better rod for drop shot

mitchct
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mitchct » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:15 am

If you can find one, it won't let you down.............

http://www.megabass.co.jp/site/products/f4st_69rsdti/

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:42 am

I was very close to pulling the trigger on an X7 Powerhouse a few months ago after handling one. I went with the NRX 822DSR instead. The X7 is a work of art but I chose function over beauty this time. It's really tough to stomach the very high price tag on the Powerhouse or Simoon if going through a U.S. distributor. Ordering from Japan is cheaper but your out of luck if you get one with issues.

Batson-Brands
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Batson-Brands » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:54 am

Gblaze wrote:Spring is not upon us up here in the NE. So, stuck in the gates - gave the monkey enough down time to convince me to change up my drop shot rod in my line-up. ](*,)

Currently using the NRX DSR - which has served me well for 3 years- but I am looking to replace similar quality with a little more bling factor if possible.

The Simoom calls - just not sure - and would like to explore any/all options for drop shotting rods out there. Which rod has the IT factor in the DS dept?

Thanks
Should have gotten something custom. This way you can have anything you want! ;)

rugbyfisherman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rugbyfisherman » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:06 pm

Megabass Destroyer Phase III 6'10" Aaron Martens Limited gets my pick. NRX 852 in second. The handle design, sensitivity and power of the Megabass are better than the NRX in my opinion.

Phippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Phippy » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:53 pm

I thought about trying a Jackson Super Trickster 69ML Wide Player has my new drop shot rod this year........http://www.jackson.jp/products/detail/?products_id=1

Price doesn't worry me as we all know we can add $100+ if sold in the states. Quality and components look good just not sure on the blank.

TLee_905
Angler
Angler

Post by TLee_905 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:05 am

NRX DSR is a nice rod. Performance wise I would put it near the top. And I honestly don’t think you’re going to find something exponentially better for the price. Light, sensitive and balls where it needs. I have put the boots to 6+lb smallies without difficulty.

So... that brings us to “Da Bling”
MB Spinning.jpg
MB Spinning.jpg (50.44 KiB) Viewed 8560 times

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:25 am

TLee_905 wrote:NRX DSR is a nice rod. Performance wise I would put it near the top. And I honestly don’t think you’re going to find something exponentially better for the price. Light, sensitive and balls where it needs. I have put the boots to 6+lb smallies without difficulty.

So... that brings us to “Da Bling”
MB Spinning.jpg
That there is some awesome bling Tommy.

trent_s
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by trent_s » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:10 am

cndbasshunter wrote:The 822 isn't bad but i found too little power, the 852 is nicer rod for me.
LOL I like the 852s NRX, not designed for this but too dang nice to put down! I found the 822 nrx too soft. My old SJ 842 GLX custom was still my favorite spinning rod ever for lighter techniques...miss it everyday.

Good351
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Good351 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:21 am

I do a lot of Drop Shotting.. I use a NRX822DSR, it has served me well in all fishing conditions.
Looking to add a slightly heavier rod for deep water in heavy timber.. Thinking a NRX852S is the logical choice..but the Simoom and Beast Hunts are calling my name..

TLee_905
Angler
Angler

Post by TLee_905 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:05 am

Good351 wrote:slightly heavier rod for deep water in heavy timber...
If you want to have the ability to turn those deep water, heavy timber critters with authority.

I highly recommend the Beast Hunts.

Power Finesse rod has the length to take up a mile of slack from the depths and quickly gain control of fish evading into heavy cover. Awesome bottom end hook setting power for when you drag heavy football out in the ledge and long line heavy drop shot. Delicate enough top end not to rip the hook out of the fish near the boat or shore.

You aren’t hunting a beast with this rod. You’re holding one in your hand.